Just Learned The Coolest Thing!

mimes1

I had a bunch of copies of the same thing all layered on top of one another. I decided I needed a layer mask on a particular layer. Then, it became apparent that the mask was on the wrong layer. Just out of laziness I thought I would see what happened if I dragged my layer mask from one layer to the next, (instead of deleting it and making a new one on the next layer), and guess what? It worked! Who knew? I sure didn't! PS is just so full of amazing tricks. I must be a real nerd if this is what makes my day! LOL! And it's only 6 am! It's going to be a great day!

I think that once you understand how the layers work in PS or PSE it really makes things easier. Glad you found it. There are a few different ways of changing the layers. I usually do CTRL ] or CtrL [ for up or down.

Because I get into trying new things and forgetting to check what layer is active, I've added enhancements, such as masks, patterns and gradients to the wrong layer and ended up dragging them up or down, to where I need them. Mistakes do making for good learning experiences! I'm happy that you found it and it started your morning off with a delightful surprise. :-)

That does sound cool, and I will add it to my list of reasons to someday upgrade to full Photoshop.

You may not need to...PSE9 has layer masks. You should see if you can drag and copy them there.

Great tips! Love shortcuts and tricks like that!

That does sound cool, and I will add it to my list of reasons to someday upgrade to full Photoshop.

You may not need to...PSE9 has layer masks. You should see if you can drag and copy them there.

Great tips! Love shortcuts and tricks like that!

I did try, before I posted. I tried just dragging and I tried dragging while holding various keys down such as Command and Option (I'm on a Mac). No luck.

I love that trick! You can use it with styles too! If you want to transfer them to another layer, just click and drag the style name to another layer if it's just one, or if it's more than one and you want to transfer them all, click and drag the FX icon on the right side of the layer and drag it to another one. I use that a lot when I'm swapping out layers and still want to use the same style settings.

Archived