Cs5 Question

SilverSwanMama

Hey Ladies,

I recently upgraded to CS5 from PSE5. Whoa!! What a jump. I am having several issues but one I need to figure out quickly. When using PSE I always saved my layered files as PSD's. In CS5 when I go to save it doesn't even give me an option to save as a PSD. It wants to save as a TIFF. Is that what I'm supposed to do or do I need to figure out how to save as a PSD? I feel so silly even having to ask this question! There are all kinds of options for saving but PSD is not one of them! Any help?

TIA!

You can definitely save as a PSD in CS5. It's listed in the Save As box as Photoshop (*.PSD, *.PDD). It's the first one on the list, can you see it?

Thank you! Well, I realized my first mistake was I needed to scroll up (duh!), but it only says Photoshop with no PSD or PDD after it, so I don't know if I would have figured that out anyway. Problem solved, but I wonder why it doesn't say PSD?

Uh oh. Something is not right. The default format for saving layered files in my CS5 is PSD. Hmmmm.

BTW, congrats on the upgrade!

So, in the drop down menu of formats, at the very top you don't have PSD as an option?

Uh oh. Something is not right. The default format for saving layered files in my CS5 is PSD. Hmmmm.

So, in the drop down menu of formats, at the very top you don't have PSD as an option?

No, in the drop down menu it does not have PSD as an option. It does have Photoshop as an option at the top and when I clicked on that it changed the file from tiff to PSD. Soooo, now I know, but not very user friendly....

Oh and thanks for the congrats, but I have to tell you I'm ready to pull my hair out with it. Not loving it yet. Tell me I'll love it later?!?!? :disappearing-smilie:

Some things that made so much sense with PSE5 are not even options in CS5 and it does not make sense to me why they would get rid of good features...

Don't worry, you'll get it! :D You're doing great. I don't have CS5 on my Mac or I'd check it out and see what the difference is.

Thanks! This isn't the first time I've done something with it, just the first time I couldn't save as PSD, so somewhere something must have gotten changed by accident...

Oh and thanks for the congrats, but I have to tell you I'm ready to pull my hair out with it. Not loving it yet. Tell me I'll love it later?!?!?

YOU WILL LOVE IT LATER!!

Some things that made so much sense with PSE5 are not even options in CS5 and it does not make sense to me why they would get rid of good features...

I don't have CS5, only CS4, but I upgraded from PSE5, too. I don't think it's that they got rid of features, I think it's that you just do them a totally different way in CS.

When you get around to it, post what you think you can't do and I'll bet it's there, just hiding from you.

Oh and thanks for the congrats, but I have to tell you I'm ready to pull my hair out with it. Not loving it yet. Tell me I'll love it later?!?!?

YOU WILL LOVE IT LATER!!

I don't have CS5, only CS4, but I upgraded from PSE5, too. I don't think it's that they got rid of features, I think it's that you just do them a totally different way in CS.

When you get around to it, post what you think you can't do and I'll bet it's there, just hiding from you.

Thanks for the encouragement Rose Ann!

So, one I can think of right now is when resizing an object or photo whatever, you have to hold the shift key down. Never had to do that in PSE5. The only work around I have found is selecting whatever I want to resize and that brings up the dimension boxes and this little link or clip looking thing that if I click on that it will keep the proportions when resizing w/o having to hold shift key down. Neither one of those options is better than what I had in PSE5 which was I didn't have to do anything. Seems backwards to me. So where is the setting for that hiding???? ;) I hope it's hiding somewhere and I just don't know it, cause that will make my day! :dancingelephant:

I know that you can click on the link icon at the top of the workspace and then when you drag things, they'll stay proportioned. You still have to do that every time, though, so that may not be what you're looking for, but at least then you don't have to hold the shift key! ;)

Though it may not say ".PSD", Photoshop is the native save-as function for a layered psd file in PSCS5. If this is your first experience with Creative Suite, you might want to look into Ro's Secrets program for Photoshop. This will help to familiarize you with changes between PSE and PS:

Scrapbook Software Secrets Revealed: Photoshop

More Scrapbook Software Secrets Revealed: Photoshop

Both programs cover PS through version CS5.

Though it may not say ".PSD", Photoshop is the native save-as function for a layered psd file in PSCS5. If this is your first experience with Creative Suite, you might want to look into Ro's Secrets program for Photoshop. This will help to familiarize you with changes between PSE and PS:

Scrapbook Software Secrets Revealed: Photoshop

More Scrapbook Software Secrets Revealed: Photoshop

Both programs cover PS through version CS5.

Thanks Katherine! I've got them! Have even watched them, need to watch them over and over obviously!

Archived