Using Grid And Snap To Grid To Create Patterns

I remember reading a tutorial recently...is anyone able to direct me back to it?

it dealt with making a polka dotted paper, and snapping the circles to the grid lines....

thanks for any help you can offer!

My "snap to" is not snapping! I followed Syndee's directions in the tutorial but she just doesn't want to snap in place for me!! Any suggestions??

No I didn't Amy ... it just doesn't want to snap to ... I have to physically align it myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Lei, this is one of those incredibly non-obvious things Photoshop's authors/software writers have done.

Click the VIEW menu. If SNAP is not checked, then click it to check it, turning it on. Then click VIEW, SNAP TO... and turn on any/all choices. You can choose all or none, two of the choices are defaults.

You'd think this would be in Preferences, but it's not. Hope this helps!

Barbara - that worked! I thought I had tried that before, but now that I'm playing around with it more it is happening. I guess I was figuring there would be more of an obvious magnetic pull - it is ever so slight, is this correct?. Thanks!!

yes, the snap is relatively gentle. It was stronger in PSE, and took me a while to get used to CS4. Sometimes I have better luck when in a conscious "motion" and releasing the mouse button while still moving; a little like 'throwing the object" when it's close. This is a little hard to explain.

Another technique, is to use the align objects buttons on the upper toolbar to finish the job. Choose the Align the vertical centers button, then drag the entire "set" to a grid line, and watch the transform handles to see when they're aligned. Repeat for the horizontals, too.

Fortunately, there's usually more than one way to get the job done. Hope this helps.

I played around with this a little while last night and could never get it to work in PSE....I ended up throwing out the objects I was trying to line up and finished a layout for the Saturday color challenge. I'm going to go back now and give it another go.

Archived