Problems Save Command Grayed Out

Sara Arell

I use Photoshop and Indesign - my Photoshop is working just fine but suddenly I can't save anything in Indesign, which is the program I use when I am finalizing the completion of a layout - I take my work from Photoshop and save it as a document (indd) in Indesign. All of a sudden, the save and the save as commands are grayed out and I have never had this happen before. I have used Indesign for many years now, so this problem is all new to me.

I don't really think I've run into anyone here who uses Indesign, but I'm putting it out there in hopes that someone might have a hint as to what could be wrong..............it's driving me nuts that I can't figure it out and I'm waiting for Adobe to get back to me, so right now am just in the waiting, waiting, waiting mode.

TIA

Sara, I tried doing an online "search" and this came up.

I know you have a Mac, but maybe it can help? I hope so and good luck.

"If you are noticing that your Save and Save As options in InDesign are grayed out, you may need the InDesign 2.0.1 update. This update addresses several issues that exist in InDesign 2.0. In Windows, if the default location for the "My Documents" folder is changed, the Save and Save As menu commands in InDesign are not grayed out anymore thanks to the update."

Sara, I tried doing an online "search" and this came up.

I know you have a Mac, but maybe it can help? I hope so and good luck.

"If you are noticing that your Save and Save As options in InDesign are grayed out, you may need the InDesign 2.0.1 update. This update addresses several issues that exist in InDesign 2.0. In Windows, if the default location for the "My Documents" folder is changed, the Save and Save As menu commands in InDesign are not grayed out anymore thanks to the update."

Thank you so much, Marilyn - I have upgraded to CS5 which is the latest update - but something could have gone wrong - I think I might just run the update again - can't hurt and maybe it will help. Thanks for searching for that for me - I appreciate your help. :)

Sara, CS5 is your version, the updates have extra numbers. This latest update is from June 16th.

Adobe InDesign® CS5.5 7.5.1 update

You can find all the updates at Adobe's site.

Thanks so much, April - I didn't get the notification for that update! Downloading it now.......meanwhile just FYI and for anyone who might be interested, I just found this solution for those just in case moments again!

The Save and Save As commands stop working and are dimmed in the File menu in InDesign on Mac OS.

Solution

Save your work by exporting to IDML, force the application to quit, then relaunch and open the IDML files.

For each open file that you can't save, choose File > Export and select InDesign Markup Language as the format.

Export the file with a name that you can associate with the .INDD file.

Choose Apple Menu > Force Quit (Mac OS) or press Command + Alt + Delete > Task Manager (Windows) and force InDesign to quit.

Relaunch InDesign, open the IDML files you exported, and save them as new .INDD files.

Oh, gosh Sara - I saw that but had no idea what it meant and it seemed so complicated so I'm glad it makes sense to you.

Hope you get straightened out! Good luck. :)

It fixed the problem temporarily, Marilyn - at least I can save my documents but the upgrade that April mentioned - doesn't fix the particular "bug" I evidently have and it wouldn't update my CS5 - it said it was not needed. Aaargh! Still waiting to hear back from Adobe.

Thanks for your help! Because of you, I found that quick fix!

You've piqued my interest, Sara. Can you explain why you "finalize" your layouts in InDesign? Just curious.

I started doing graphic design for the Air Force over 30 years ago, Pat - used Pagemaker and Illustrator only - the "work" was done in Illustrator but had to be taken to Pagemaker for layout format. Then, "layout" meant something a little different than it does now since the work I was doing was for brochures, flyers, newsletters, etc and digi-scrapping had not been "invented" yet. Pagemaker was phased out and Adobe brought us InDesign. I learned how to use InDesign before I learned how to do Photoshop.

InDesign is just a professional page layout application that allows one to design, preflight, and publish a huge range of different types of documents. Since I worked primarily with printers and did color separations, InDesign was the compatible application for doing that and was the application that the printers use. In the AF, I worked primarily with the Base Newspaper, and that is what they used as well. It's much easier for me to do the "pieces of work" that I do in Photoshop (and in Illustrator) and then bring them into Indesign for my final layout. Maybe just because it's how I was taught in my AF training and I just continue to do it that way......I don't know......but I have to see my final layout in Indesign so I can tweak it and put the finishing touches on it before I can "publish" it. It's a powerful program - I love it!

I think this describes why I use it best since I do a variety of publications in Indesign for print media.

"The ability to import native Photoshop and Illustrator files simplifies the workflow involved in laying out, enhancing, and updating graphics. Native support for Adobe PDF files helps ensure reliable, consistent output whether you publish to print, the web, or devices. Enhanced integration between InDesign and Flash Professional allows you to hand off your page layouts with even greater fidelity and maintain animation, sound, and video files placed in your documents. Create eBooks in InDesign and read them in Digital Editions. In addition, InDesign and InCopy work together to provide robust editorial workflow management for small creative teams."

Alot of the work I do outside digi-scrapping involves working with other creative teams who design and publish using Indesign and since Indesign is used for integrating jobs between graphic artists, printers, publishers, etc. it allows me to be compatible and gives me the ability to work in the same format in which they use.

Make sense?

Wow, Sara -Makes a LOT of sense and I agree with Becky.... Not a techy, you say? Well, not only do you use a professional program, you can also explain all about it so I understand! Sounds pretty techy to me!!

Thanks for the explanation - I actually have In Design on my computer but had no idea what it was all about. And, I'm glad you're "fixed" for now but sure hope you're "all better" soon.

Good luck! :)

Wow, Sara -Makes a LOT of sense and I agree with Becky.... Not a techy, you say? Well, not only do you use a professional program, you can also explain all about it so I understand! Sounds pretty techy to me!!

Thanks for the explanation - I actually have In Design on my computer but had no idea what it was all about. And, I'm glad you're "fixed" for now but sure hope you're "all better" soon.

Good luck! :)

Marilyn, you should really give InDesign a try! You might like it!

Nah, not really a techy - just been doing it a long, long time!

Archived