What Are You Reading Right Now?

Lisanne

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not reading anything specific at the moment, finishing a few that I began a while back. I was just wondering if anyone would finish reading a book that they were not particularly enjoying?

Sorry Valerie, no crime recommendation from me. I can't even watch crime shows on tv (unless it is Monk) let alone read about them, my imagination gets away from me. Happy browsing.

I have quit reading several that just weren't doing it for me at all. The first one I remember getting pretty far into was for a book group a few years ago - it was a "classic" by George Elliott (sp?) called "Mill on the Floss" - hated it, hated what I knew was going to happen, and it turns out all but one (the gal who picked it) did the same. Needless to say book group didn't meet that month, lol. All of us liked reading classics, just not THAT one.

And just yesterday I started "An American Childhood" by Annie Dillard - dull, boring, no plot. No thanks. I was in the third or fourth chapter, couldn't stand it, checked the Amazon reviews, lots agreed, and I washed my hands of the affair;)

Can anyone recommend a good crime book, preferably not set in modern times?

Valerie, I just finished Defending Jacob by William Landay, a very interesting, although disturbing crime novel. Well written, thought provoking. You might give it a try.

I am not reading anything specific at the moment, finishing a few that I began a while back. I was just wondering if anyone would finish reading a book that they were not particularly enjoying?

Sorry Valerie, no crime recommendation from me. I can't even watch crime shows on tv (unless it is Monk) let alone read about them, my imagination gets away from me. Happy browsing.

I have quit reading several that just weren't doing it for me at all. The first one I remember getting pretty far into was for a book group a few years ago - it was a "classic" by George Elliott (sp?) called "Mill on the Floss" - hated it, hated what I knew was going to happen, and it turns out all but one (the gal who picked it) did the same. Needless to say book group didn't meet that month, lol. All of us liked reading classics, just not THAT one.

And just yesterday I started "An American Childhood" by Annie Dillard - dull, boring, no plot. No thanks. I was in the third or fourth chapter, couldn't stand it, checked the Amazon reviews, lots agreed, and I washed my hands of the affair;)

Cheri - I am glad I'm not the only one who started a book and stopped when found it wasn't a good read. Good point to note about reading reviews, although the one I returned to the library last year unfinished was recommended if you liked such and such and author. Happy reading!

There is nothing more liberating than allowing yourself to discontinue reading an unpleasant book. There are too many good ones, and we don't have time to read them all.

I'm just now getting around to the second of the Hunger Games trilogy (Catching Fire), liking it more than the first one.

I decided to try a classic recently and picked up Hard Times by Charles Dickens. I am loving it. I don't know it is just along the same lines of thoughts that I've been having, his great storytelling and character weaving or what, but it's been so nice to just sit down and enjoy a fictional book. I also finished These is my words at the beginning of the year, which I loved. Made me appreciate the frontiers women and pioneers, my ancestors that struggled through difficult things so that I could have better.

I'm in the middle of a biography of Frank and Eleanor Roosevelt: Franklin and Eleanor, an Extraordinary Marriage, by Hazel Rowley. I've never been a fan of either of them (quite to the contrary, in fact), but this book is an interesting look at the inner workings of what I would call a "collaboration" and not a marriage. Interesting reading. And it hasn't done anything to change my mind about either of them, in fact, I'm liking them even less!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my, I'm one of those multiple book readers, too.

Currently working on A History of the World, Ancient History by Susan Wise Bauer. But I've also been reading Alice about Alice Roosevelt Longworth by Stacy Cordery, and re-reading the Little House books now that my daughter is old enough to be interested in them. Also, keeping tabs on my sons who wanted the "Warriors" series by Erin Hunter about the cats. I was really surprised at those ones, since I expected them to be taking on human traits...they didn't. They were simply cats, which makes it a very interesting read. When I really don't want to think I pull out some of the Hardy Boys books that my boys have been checking out of the library (5 or 6 a week)!

Keeps me busy!

I'm often a multiple reader as well, but right now I'm only reading one book. I just started reading the Hunger Games. I wasn't initially going to read this series since I didn't think I'd like the story premise. After seeing the movie with a friend who had an extra ticket I changed my mind! I just recently finished the third book in the "Museum Mystery" series.

Here are a few I've read lately:

Half Broke Horses and The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls

Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfulness by Alexandra Fuller

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Start Something That Matters by Blake Mycoskie

Currently I'm reading Swamplandia! by Karen Russell

They've all been good and worth reading, but the only one here that I couldn't put down was Half Broke Horses. But I'm still looking for the next book I can't put down. Sometimes a book will just consume me and I can think of nothing else but reading it until I'm finished!

Next on my reading list:

The Help by Kathryn Stockett (I've already read it, but my book club wants to do it. So I guess I'll have to read it again. It was one I couldn't put down)

The House at Riverton by Kate Morton (my daughter says I'll like it)

I love to read books by Nicholas Sparks - just finished The Lucky One. I like to read the book before I see the movie and when I heard the movie was out, I grabbed the book. It was the most wonderful story I've read in awhile. It kept me guessing throughout the entire book........NOW I can see the movie and just have to hope the characters are all as I had imagined them!

I started reading "The Last Song" by Nicholas Sparks and just can't get into the story - I love the way he writes, but this book is just not his usual so I'm considering putting it down and starting another Jode Picoult book - I almost never put a book down - especially one of Sparks.....has anyone else read "The Last Song"?

I do a lot of reading of textbooks. With home schooling, you have to be on top with what the kids are studying. I find I am re-learning a lot of stuff!

Reading a book with my coffee clutch..."Having a Mary Hart in a Martha World".(12 chapters...a chapter a week) Have had the book for a few years, but we just finished our last book and decided on this one.

I haven't been into reading much fiction of late, but have read Hunger Games. DS just bought the trilogy, so I will be finishing that probably this summer!

I am not reading anything specific at the moment, finishing a few that I began a while back. I was just wondering if anyone would finish reading a book that they were not particularly enjoying?Sorry Valerie, no crime recommendation from me. I can't even watch crime shows on tv (unless it is Monk) let alone read about them, my imagination gets away from me. Happy browsing.
I have quit reading several that just weren't doing it for me at all. The first one I remember getting pretty far into was for a book group a few years ago - it was a "classic" by George Elliott (sp?) called "Mill on the Floss" - hated it, hated what I knew was going to happen, and it turns out all but one (the gal who picked it) did the same. Needless to say book group didn't meet that month, lol. All of us liked reading classics, just not THAT one.And just yesterday I started "An American Childhood" by Annie Dillard - dull, boring, no plot. No thanks. I was in the third or fourth chapter, couldn't stand it, checked the Amazon reviews, lots agreed, and I washed my hands of the affair;)
Cheri - I am glad I'm not the only one who started a book and stopped when found it wasn't a good read. Good point to note about reading reviews, although the one I returned to the library last year unfinished was recommended if you liked such and such and author. Happy reading!

Healthyscraps..I watched the movie(which was awful!!). I find that Amazon reviews are usually great for reviews. I find that my time is too precious...book reviews are the way to go, or if I have a book, after a few chapters, that is it if it hasn't grabbed my attention!

I long ago gave myself permission to quit a book if it wasn't clicking with me. I don't have that much time left to read books, and I don't want to waste it reading bad books. I just finished reading The Namesake...and thought it was a very insightful, thought provoking and enjoyable work. And our town's community read this year was Rules of Civility by Amor Knowles...it was great!

Thanks Ann - I needed to hear that! I put my book away and will start another one I bought in a day or so. I just could not get into it!

Tiza, if its a book about cats, it has to be good! (LOL, cat lover here!)

Thinking about my dear mom and how much she enjoys reading a good murder mystery(book/ TV). I couldn't ever understand how she like them. Now I am hooked on some murder mystery shows on PBS!

Thanks Ann - I needed to hear that! I put my book away and will start another one I bought in a day or so. I just could not get into it!

A few years ago our community read was Gonzales and Daughter Trucking Company. I checked that book out of the library twice and just could NOT get into it. The third time, as they say, was a charm. For some reason, I dove into it and just couldn't put it down! Still one of my favorite contemporary works.

I've just started a book called Pure by Andrew Miller, it is set in 1785 in Paris. So far so good, the characters and location have been introduced well, I just hope the writer keeps it up. So often in books I've read recently, they start well but the overall story is really weak, leaving you with a "is that it" feeling.

Just went to the library this morning and came home with 6 books. I fixing to start Red Mist by Patricia Cornwell.

• 2 weeks later...

Our book club at church chose a book called Same Kind of Different As Me (Ron Hall/Denver Moore) - about an international art dealer and a homeless man cross paths by what is no doubt divine intervention. I brought it home Mother's Day Sunday - started reading it that afternoon finished it the next day.

I couldn't bear to put it down.

I highly recommend it! You can find out more about it here: http://www.samekindofdifferentasme.com

I just finished book #13 in the #1 Ladies Detective Agency series....The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection. I just LOVE these books! They have such charm, well written, wonderful characters, and lessons to be learned. The author is Alexander McCall Smith.

Ann, I read one book by Alexander McCall Smith and did not enjoy it. (Not in that series though) I did however see the series made for TV here in South Africa about the #1 Ladies Detective Agency and must say I enjoyed every it very much. Real fun.

I've only read one of Alexander McCall Smith's books: it was one of the Ladies Detective series. I can't say that it made me want to ready any others. I'm fairly eclectic in my reading choices but I really do like the classics. At the moment, I'm reading and enjoying Anna Karenina by Tolstoy. I picked it up mainly because my nephew had to read it for his world literature course and I realised I had never read it. If I keep this up it will be Cervantes' Don Quixote next!

I'm reading on a Kindle (before getting one, I hadn't even picked up a book for over a year - and I LOVE books! I was an ENGLISH MAJOR!) and i get freebies from Amazon as well as library books. The library books, you get 2 weeks. So when you pick up a 980-page book (Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett) there's no way you can finish it in time. So I started that one, but didn't finish, but I'm liking it, so I bought it (The Kindle's so cool - the new version opened right up to where I had left off with the library version!). But another book I'b been on the waiting list showed up in my email, so I'm reading the second book in Michael Scott's (no, not THAT Michael Scott, Office fans!) The Alchemyst series.

I'm also on the waiting list for a bunch of other highly-recommended books!

I almost gave up on Incredibly Loud and Extremely Close, and in the end, I wish I had. The writing style was laborious and the story was weak.

Archived