What Are You Reading Right Now?

Lisanne

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alexander McCall Smiths books are very slow paced & deliberate. I love the #1 Ladies Detective Agency series; couldn't get into his other series. I think it is partly that it is so interesting to read about another culture. I'm with Joyce on the ostrich syndrome - the news is depressing enough, I read for escape. And I rarely watch movies because I can't sit through the scary or suspenseful scenes. I have a Kindle which I absolutely love. Except I am spending way too much time reading. I just started 'The Spice Necklace' by Ann Vanderhoof. This is the second about her & her husband's travels in the Caribbean. This one is more about food, so far while the other was more about the actual sailing. Both are very interesting and well written. Also have a 'Body in Prayer' that I've just started. The title was intriguing.

I haven't read any novels just for myself in several weeks (I am reading books to my kids), but earlier this year I read all three books in The Hunger Games series, another book called 2030 (kind of depressing), and A Woman In Black (interesting), the book on which Daniel Radcliffe's movie was based (which I didn't get to see in February so I'm waiting for DVD). I read The Help last year and thought it was good. In non-fiction, earlier this year I finally read one of the photography book classics everyone recommends, Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure.

I've read more, but can't remember titles off the top of my head.

Just started Black Thunder (an Ella Claw novel) By Aimee and David Thurlo. Navajo Tribal Police set in NW New Mexico, lots about tribal traditions and a nice mystery/thriller too. I've read several of the previous Ella Claw novels and thoroughly enjoyed them. Something similar to the Tony Hillerman books.

I'm reading on a Kindle (before getting one, I hadn't even picked up a book for over a year - and I LOVE books! I was an ENGLISH MAJOR!) and i get freebies from Amazon as well as library books. The library books, you get 2 weeks. So when you pick up a 980-page book (Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett) there's no way you can finish it in time. So I started that one, but didn't finish, but I'm liking it, so I bought it (The Kindle's so cool - the new version opened right up to where I had left off with the library version!). But another book I'b been on the waiting list showed up in my email, so I'm reading the second book in Michael Scott's (no, not THAT Michael Scott, Office fans!) The Alchemyst series.

I'm also on the waiting list for a bunch of other highly-recommended books!

I almost gave up on Incredibly Loud and Extremely Close, and in the end, I wish I had. The writing style was laborious and the story was weak.

I absolutely LOVED Pillars of the Earth. The sequel - World Without End was fabulous too!

Thanks for your take on Incredibly Loud and Extremely Close. I'm on the library wait list for it, but maybe I won't wast my time.

I finished The House at Riverton, and enjoyed it. If you watch Downton Abbey and enjoy it - it's based in the same time period and the same type of characters.

I'm reading "A Marriage of Convenience" a Freebie for Kindle. It is good. I have 1789 books on my kindle all freebies except for two and the ones I have read I have really enjoyed.

I get a lot of Kindle freebies, too. I wonder how many I can actually keep on my Kindle before it starts really slowing down. My sister says she just keeps them online & downloads them as needed. Any input?

I've got a lot on my mom's Kindle (my Amazon account). I do the same thing as your sister, Aggie, I keep most of them uploaded then download as I read them. Don't know what the limit is.

Karen

The limit is actually pretty high, but your list will get pretty cumbersome if you keep a thousand books on your device. Just archive them, you can always retrieve them from Amazon.

And while we're talking Kindle, who has a Kindle Fire and what do you think of it? I'm trying to decide between a Kindle Fire and an iPad...can't decide which way to go. And don't tell me to get both! That's not an option!

• 2 weeks later...

I want an IPad so bad.....soon! I have so many card ideas and Scrapbook LO Ideas pinned from Pinterest and would love to be able to take an ipad into my scrap room.

Do any of you have a spot on "Good Reads" ? If you do would love to connect and see what you are reading.....Good Reads is a gret way to see others opinion of a book

Do any of you have a spot on "Good Reads" ? If you do would love to connect and see what you are reading.....Good Reads is a gret way to see others opinion of a book

I'm on Good Reads...always looking for advice on good books. How do we connect??

I get a lot of Kindle freebies, too. I wonder how many I can actually keep on my Kindle before it starts really slowing down. My sister says she just keeps them online & downloads them as needed. Any input?

You don't need to keep them on your device...just delete them and they will be forever archived by Amazon. You can access them any time you want. What a deal!

I'm on Good Reads...always looking for advice on good books. How do we connect??

You will find me there as well.

You will find me there as well.

I think we are connected now, Belle!

• 3 weeks later...

Alexander McCall Smiths books are very slow paced & deliberate. I love the #1 Ladies Detective Agency series; couldn't get into his other series. I think it is partly that it is so interesting to read about another culture. I'm with Joyce on the ostrich syndrome - the news is depressing enough, I read for escape. And I rarely watch movies because I can't sit through the scary or suspenseful scenes. I have a Kindle which I absolutely love. Except I am spending way too much time reading. I just started 'The Spice Necklace' by Ann Vanderhoof. This is the second about her & her husband's travels in the Caribbean. This one is more about food, so far while the other was more about the actual sailing. Both are very interesting and well written. Also have a 'Body in Prayer' that I've just started. The title was intriguing.

I almost never visit this forum (don't know why), but I love to read. The Alexander McCall Smith books are some of my very favorites. I love the gentle pace. They make me laugh and cry, both. I think they are wise. And I love reading about the different culture of Botswana. I have them in paper copies, though I do have an iPad and read other stuff there.

I'm in the middle of The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin...liking it so far, lots of good ideas and inspirations.

Looks great I just bought it!!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am in the middle of reading 'New York' by Edward Rutherford.

New York is a sweeping, four-century tale set in the most exciting city on earth. Magnificently researched with the help of leading New York historians, this novel follows the fortunes of the Van Dyck and Master families, and the descendants of Quash the African slave, from the early days of Manhattan's Indian settlements and Dutch New Amsterdam, through the English takeover, the Revolutionary War , when New York was the British headquarters, and the nineteenth century, when New Yorkers created the canals and railroads that opened up the American West.

It's over 700 pages and I'm only up to page 451 of 796 on my Nook eBook. Re-learning a lot of American history, along with some interesting fictional stories.

• 10 months later...

I just finished reading a John Grisham novel 'The Racketeer' and my next book will be 'The Partner' also by John Grisham. Then I'll be reading, again, the Harry Potter books. Just can't get enough of them.

I recently read a memoir by James McBride called "The Color of Water: A Black Man's Tribute to His White Mother." It's about his interracial family, a white Jewish mother raising 12 black children. So so wonderful.

If a book does not have laptops, cell phones and IPads in it, I do not read it. Don't like true stories, after all, everybody knows the Titanic sank. I like humor. J D Robb, In Death series. Also Janet Evanovich, so funny. Now and again I'll read a soppy romance. Don't like heavy drama, too much drama in life. Don't read animal books, can't stand reading about animal cruelty. Don't read sad books. Can't understand why anybody would want to. Fun, fun, fun. That's what I love.

Yep that's sort of much like me too Belle. I like books and movies that make me feel good. Don't do SAD very well. I do like self help/ motivation etc etc though but have been known to read the odd book about ipad/iphone things. Kay

Archived