What Are You Reading Right Now?

Lisanne

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tiza, if you like books with a food connection, you'll love "THE LAST CHINESE CHEF". It was truly delicious!

And for those of you reading THE HELP, be sure and treat yourself to the movie version when you have finished it. I really enjoyed it...the casting is absolutely spot on.

I'll have to check that one out. Thanks!!

I'm reading The Help now...about halfway through it. Maybe I'll take my mom to the movies with me to see it (she already finished the book).

And about half of the books on Elisha's sample layout for the Bookshelf Paper Super Mini are on my "books to read" list

The Help is a wonderful book, Tiza - When we saw the movie, I was disappointed at the first ten minutes and almost left - it wasn't at all like the book but we stayed and it was fabulous after we got through the first part so don't leave - stay because it does get better. It wasn't exactly like the book and they left alot of things out but I would see it again - I grew up with similar things in the book and the movie - my Mom always had a maid but we didn't treat her like they did in the book - our maid was loved and we couldn't have done without her - Mama taught school and a maid was very much needed and very much appreciated - her name was Daisy and I loved her dearly - she was with us for more years than I can remember. The book is very true and I guess some treated their maids that way but not us......Daisy had one gold tooth right in the front and she was so proud of it. I still have pics of her smiling on the holidays when she served dinner. She cooked all of our suppers and was the best cook ever - I think she loved us as much as we loved her.

I just figured out how to check out e-books from my library and put them on my Nook. Really easy, after all. In browsing though the available books, I ran across Thunder Dog: The True Story of a Blind Man, His Guide Dog, and the Triumph of Trust at Ground Zero by Michael Hingson. I remember it recommended on another thread here and grabbed it. Quick read and it was so good! And free.

Other books I've enjoyed: The Help, Half Broke Horses (it was the first book I purchased for my Nook), Glass Houses (the prequel to Half Broke Horses). I'm in the middle of Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxas. It's really good, but slow reading. I've put it down for a bit and will pick it back up after the holidays.

I'm also reading a book written by a friend of mine (Glenn Petrucci) called Timecachers. It's about a group hired to test a new GPS device (which uses the stars to navigate rather than a satellite). They are in Georgia, and somehow they are taken back in time to the beginning of the Cherokee Indian Removal. It's a good read so far. If you're interested in geocaching and/or early American history, you'd like it.

I just finished Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo. Interesting look into a little boy's visit to heaven. I just started reading Brenda Warner's (Kurt Warner's wife-retired QB) book, One call away. I heard her speak recently so it's been on my "to read" list. (both were Kindle versions, fyi)

I just finished Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo. Interesting look into a little boy's visit to heaven. I just started reading Brenda Warner's (Kurt Warner's wife-retired QB) book, One call away. I heard her speak recently so it's been on my "to read" list. (both were Kindle versions, fyi)

Conda, is "Heaven is for Real" a sad story?

I'm not a big reader, in fact if I read two books in a year that's a good year. I do love prehistoric fiction when I do read. I started with Jean Auel's books and I was hooked! Right now I am finishing up my second book this year (it's been a good year :lol: ) It is called "People of the Thunder" by W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear. They are archaeologists who write books that begin with some sort of archaeological find. This book is in the North America's Forgotten Past series. I just counted and I've read 16 of the books in this series. You do not need to read them in order but the book I'm reading now is actually is the book that finishes a story started in the previous book "People of the Weeping Eye". It's the first time they put one story into 2 books.

So that's what I'm reading now and I LOVE it! I recommend it to everyone.

I'm not a big reader, in fact if I read two books in a year that's a good year. I do love prehistoric fiction when I do read. I started with Jean Auel's books and I was hooked! Right now I am finishing up my second book this year (it's been a good year :lol: ) It is called "People of the Thunder" by W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear. They are archaeologists who write books that begin with some sort of archaeological find. This book is in the North America's Forgotten Past series. I just counted and I've read 16 of the books in this series. You do not need to read them in order but the book I'm reading now is actually is the book that finishes a story started in the previous book "People of the Weeping Eye". It's the first time they put one story into 2 books.

So that's what I'm reading now and I LOVE it! I recommend it to everyone.

Brenda-I never considered myself a "reader" but since I got my Kindle last Christmas...I have read a TON of books! (probably 30+) I realized I don't like the whole "book thing" but I love reading the Kindle. Go figure! ;)

Sara, I would not consider it sad. There are some sad parts, but over all, it isn't a sad story. I really think you would like it.

Sara, I would not consider it sad. There are some sad parts, but over all, it isn't a sad story. I really think you would like it.

I'll order it then - I'm in need of something to read right now - I've read everything in my house and feel like something is missing when I don't have a book beside me or a book in my IPad. Thanks for the suggestion.

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished reading "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls. An amazing story. Even more amazing the life this family led and although not so very functional, they managed to come together especially the children and support each other.

They never got angry at their hard life, they just made it all work. Very inspiring and worth reading.

I used to read every night and fall asleep with the book in my hands, but that doesn't happen as much any more. My favorite series is a kid's series, actually, Redwall, by Bryan Jacques. The Sable Quean is his latest and I'm a few pages into it. I always enjoy his stories of adventure in a simpler time. :)

I used to read every night and fall asleep with the book in my hands, but that doesn't happen as much any more. My favorite series is a kid's series, actually, Redwall, by Bryan Jacques. The Sable Quean is his latest and I'm a few pages into it. I always enjoy his stories of adventure in a simpler time. :)

Durin, one of my very favorite genres is books written for about 8-14 year olds:) I'll have to check out that series.

Kim, my DH is also an EE, working as a software engineer. If we ever have the opportunity, we should get our fams together and go geocaching:)

One of my recent reads was "The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry" by Kathleen Flynn, a real-life story of her leaving corporate life to cashing in her life savings so she could study at the Le Cordon Bleu in Paris, and all about the little experiences and struggles and lessons along the way. It was an easy read.

Currently I'm in the middle of Catching Fire, the 2nd book of the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins. It's very interesting.

It seems like a simple question but I usually have a number of books on the go. I read for pleasure and learning. Our family are avid readers.. I have just finished reading "The Magicians Nephew" to my son, having not read this one myself growing up. My husband and I are reading "The Joy of Less" and have begun the journey of minimalist living together. Recently finshined a novel by Karen Kinsbury "Divine", couldn't put that one down so it didn't take long. Happy reading!

I am just starting the 3rd book of the Friday Night Knitting Club. We shall see if it's any good!

I love the Friday night knotting club, but haven't read that for awhile now. I'm reading Debbie Macomber's "One Perfect Word" So far its very nice, but only a couple a chapters into it. Since january is a starting over time and choosing a word of focus for my life this year was a little bit difficult, this helps me tie it all together. Easy reading, thought-provoking, yet not mind numbing deep, I think its a good read for anyone interested in life.

I just finished reading "The Art of Racing in the Rain." My daughter encouraged me to read it. I was a little unsure as the premise of the book didn't seem to appeal to me. It's written from a 1st person view and the "person" is a dog! But, I absolutely loved it and was sad to see it end! Anyone else read it?

I also just read Stephen King's "1962" about time travel and preventing the JFK assassination. It was a great book ... not a horror book. Couldn't put that down either.

Just loaded up my kindle with a bunch of books for beach reading over the next several weeks!

Just finished reading "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls. An amazing story. Even more amazing the life this family led and although not so very functional, they managed to come together especially the children and support each other.

They never got angry at their hard life, they just made it all work. Very inspiring and worth reading.

Be sure to read the "prequel"...Half Broke Horses...it answers a lot of questions about how this family came to be the way they were. Great books.

I just finished reading "The Art of Racing in the Rain." My daughter encouraged me to read it. I was a little unsure as the premise of the book didn't seem to appeal to me. It's written from a 1st person view and the "person" is a dog! But, I absolutely loved it and was sad to see it end! Anyone else read it?

I also just read Stephen King's "1962" about time travel and preventing the JFK assassination. It was a great book ... not a horror book. Couldn't put that down either.

Just loaded up my kindle with a bunch of books for beach reading over the next several weeks!

Oh, yes...Racing in the Rain..loved it! Thought I wouldn't be able to get through it being the dog softy that I am, but this one was a nice read. For a really fun dog story, and a true one, try Merle's Door...can't remember the author, but how many other books could have that title?

I am reading a series of books that my sons are reading and not one in the norm for me but I am loving them. They are named, Black, Red, White, and Green and are by Ted Dekker. My sons have read other books by him also, but the series is on my Kobo in one book and it is 1450 pages. I am enjoying it and parts of it are really page turners. I also hve been reading Heaven is For Real. i have a ton of books on my Kobo yet to read, I should read more, life is just so full sometimes.

I have a Kobo, as they are Canadian and they are compatible with my local Library. I have had it since July and I love it. I do enjoy a paper book too, do you read electronicially?

I've got the KOBO app on my laptop. I think I'm going to try these books. I only read on my IPad or IPhone. If I see a book in the shops, I write the name down and get it online. I gave my Kindle to my DD.

I have a Kindle but mostly read books from the library (they are free after all, lol).

Right now I'm reading more than one (usual for me) - Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens, as I do like to read classics every once in awhile, That Used to Be Us by Thomas Friedman an Michael Mandelbaum, and I'm a chapter in to Charlotte's Web. I've seen the movie but never read the book! That's unusual for me - I've almost always read the book but not seen the movie, lol.

Just started Michael Crichton's Micro (finished by another writer whos name escapes me because I don't have the book in front of me)

Like all of Michael Crichtons books, to me it has a slow start, but it is slowly picking up the pace! I love his work and it is sad that he is no longer with us....I just finished "Pirates Lattitudes" which I am wishing they would make into a movie,,,,fantastic book!

Archived