What Are You Reading Right Now?

Lisanne

Ok...first. SERIOUSLY??? You read multiple books at a time??? I cannot even imagine that!! LOL

I have been reading the Hannah Swensen Murder Mystery series that Kim mentioned. LOVE them!! Tiza recommended them to me. In fact, I will be reading a few more chapters of Plum Pudding Murder Mystery shortly!

Becca-I hate shopping for books, it's so hard! ;) I like getting recommendations.

I have The Help, brought it home from my SIL. But it's a "real book" and I've learned that I don't like reading "real books"...only books on my Kindle! LOL

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I usually have several books going at once. I'm reading Dean Koontz's first Frankenstein book on my Kindle, a Scottish historical romance in paper back and a Debbie Macomber romance. Romance is not my thing, but I've kind of been sucked into these two. I'm not sure about the Frankenstein book. I love Dean Koontz, but this is a bit different from his usual. I'm enjoying it though.

I am another one that reads up to 3 books at the same time. I have got a paper back novel in the bathroom. Can't waste time just sitting there. Usually read 2 books at the same time on my Kindle. A romance and something else. Depends what mood I'm in and where I am. If I am just waiting in the car for kiddies, I like light reading. If I'm sitting reading in the lounge, then I read my current book.

I see it was mentioned here that you can lend someone a book. How does that work?

Oh I must treat myself to a Kindle!!

I'm currently reading Lesley Pearse's Trust Me, a novel about 2 sisters sent from an English orphanage to an Australian one in the early 1950s - I'm rivetted!

Just finished Penny Vincenzi's Almost a Crime - another great read, I love all her books.

I must get a Kindle, I must get a Kindle, I must.......

I just finished reading "The Help." Great book, but I have to agree with Andrea that some parts were disturbing. It opened my eyes to see that what I thought was "ancient" history was truly more like "modern" history.

Not sure what's next on my Reading list. I'm leaning towards "The Art of Racing in the Rain" right now.

I am another one that reads up to 3 books at the same time. I have got a paper back novel in the bathroom. Can't waste time just sitting there. Usually read 2 books at the same time on my Kindle. A romance and something else. Depends what mood I'm in and where I am. If I am just waiting in the car for kiddies, I like light reading. If I'm sitting reading in the lounge, then I read my current book.

I see it was mentioned here that you can lend someone a book. How does that work?

Belle,

Kindle lending is easy! I was rather surprised how easy, actually. Here's the link that tells you more about it... Kindle Lending

I bought "The Help" for my Kindle, but haven't started reading it yet.

Right now I'm reading "What Einstein Told His Cook: Kitchen Science Explained" - it's very educational, and a little scientific. But I'm finding it fascinating. I just finished the section on sugars, and now I'm learning about chocolate. I like learning little tidbits about food items...where they come from, how they are processed, and why they behave in the kitchen as they do.

Since reading the Kitchen Science book for long periods of time starts to feel like school textbooks, I usually have a second book going at the same time.

Some of the books I finished recently:

"Bossypants" by Tina Fey - Not as funny as I expected from Tina, who I loved on Saturday Night Live. Fascinating and informative at times. And easy to read in small chunks while traveling since it didn't take much attention or focus. But definitely NOT blush-proof.

"The Love Goddess' Cooking School" by Melissa Senate - Great story! About a young woman without much cooking ability who inherits her grandmother's Italian shop & cooking school. While she learns to cook her grandmother's recipes, she learns about herself, love, and happiness, and helps others along the way.

"The Peach Keeper" by Sarah Addison Allen - Another great story. I read this on vacation and couldn't put it down. A blend of smalltown history, socialite elitism, Southern superstitions, ghost stories, friendship and romance.

"How to Bake the Perfect Life", "The Lost Recipe for Happiness," and "The Secret of Everything" all by Barbara O'Neal - I enjoyed all three of these books. Each book is about a woman trying to succeed in life, find herself, and overcome the difficulties/trials/adversity from the past.

I also love the entire series of books by Joanne Fluke (the ones Conda mentioned) - I've read all of the books in the series, except the last one "Devil's Food Cake Murder."

As you can see...I like books with food connections ;)

Currently I'm in the process of reading three books: The Way Of Kings by Brandon Sanderson, The Name Of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and Assasin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb. The first two I'm reading very slowly, as they're heavier reading for me. (Dark books means I read slow).

Assasin's Apprentice is the first book in the Farseer trilogy. Absolutely recommended!

I usually have 2-3 going at one time. Currently I'm reading The Original Argument by Glenn Beck, Full Black by Brad Thor and Michael Vey: Prisoner of Cell 25. I have several audiobooks on my iPod that are downloaded from the library, but I like "real" books; something about the smell of the paper, the feel of it in my hands. The history/political books I read I underline in a LOT!

Currently I'm in the process of reading three books: The Way Of Kings by Brandon Sanderson, The Name Of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and Assasin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb. The first two I'm reading very slowly, as they're heavier reading for me. (Dark books means I read slow).

Assasin's Apprentice is the first book in the Farseer trilogy. Absolutely recommended!

I agree, Blesha. Absolutely recommend is correct. I have all of the Farseer trilogy and the Tawny Man series and I read them every year!

I just finished "Untill We Reach Home" by Lynn Austin...Great book!! About 3 sisters who make the trip across the Ocean from Sweden to the US

I just ordered 3 more of her books from Amazon.

Tiza, if you like books with a food connection, you'll love "THE LAST CHINESE CHEF". It was truly delicious!

And for those of you reading THE HELP, be sure and treat yourself to the movie version when you have finished it. I really enjoyed it...the casting is absolutely spot on.

My current reading project is IN THE GARDEN OF BEASTS, by Eric Larson. It's a non-fiction account of the experiences of the US ambassador to Germany in the early thirties, leading up to Hitler's rise to power. It's a fascinating tale, with bits of history that will open your eyes.

I just finished The Help not too long ago and loved it - hoping to see the movie very soon. I just hope the characters I had in my mind from the book are similar ones in the movie!

Now reading John Grisham's The Confession but I'm only two chapters in - so far, its good - I like John Grisham's books.

I am rereading the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. It will take me a while; each book is monstrously long, lol!

I am on a classics (for adults and children) kick lately too: I actually read Robinson Crusoe in its entirety. OK...um...long = good if it's Diana Gabaldon, and just dreadfully boring, dull, and of course very very colonial if it's Crusoe. Now I'm reading Arabian Nights - a great read so far! The only story I think I already have known was Aladdin. (And I've not even seen the Disney version;)

Tiza, if you like books with a food connection, you'll love "THE LAST CHINESE CHEF". It was truly delicious!

And for those of you reading THE HELP, be sure and treat yourself to the movie version when you have finished it. I really enjoyed it...the casting is absolutely spot on.

I'll have to check that one out. Thanks!!

I'm reading The Help now...about halfway through it. Maybe I'll take my mom to the movies with me to see it (she already finished the book).

And about half of the books on Elisha's sample layout for the Bookshelf Paper Super Mini are on my "books to read" list

My friend just recommended a book for me - it's called "Homer's Odyssey." No, not the Greek epic poem that you had to read in literature class. This one is about a woman (Gwen Cooper), her blind cat named Homer, and Homer's extraordinary life. "Homer’s Odyssey is the once-in-a-lifetime story of an extraordinary cat and his human companion. It celebrates the refusal to accept limits—on love, ability, or hope against overwhelming odds. By turns jubilant and moving, it’s a memoir for anybody who’s ever fallen completely and helplessly in love with a pet. "

I can't wait to start reading this one!!

My friend just recommended a book for me - it's called "Homer's Odyssey." No, not the Greek epic poem that you had to read in literature class. This one is about a woman (Gwen Cooper), her blind cat named Homer, and Homer's extraordinary life. "Homer’s Odyssey is the once-in-a-lifetime story of an extraordinary cat and his human companion. It celebrates the refusal to accept limits—on love, ability, or hope against overwhelming odds. By turns jubilant and moving, it’s a memoir for anybody who’s ever fallen completely and helplessly in love with a pet. "

This sounds really good! I'll have to read it soon!

I'm reading Clear and Present Danger. It's been a long time since I've seen the movie. My plan is to watch it again when I'm done the book.

I gave up on Clear and Present Danger. It didn't hold my interest. I just finished reading Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult. I really liked it and will read more of her books.

• 2 weeks later...

This sounds really good! I'll have to read it soon!

Ive read Homers Odyssey and it is really good!!! Homer teaches us alot!!!!

• 3 months later...

Archived