What Are You Reading Right Now?

Lisanne

I just finished The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty. Super book. I couldn't put it down. I used to read only gory mysteries, but now I don't do those any more and I like just good stories with a little light intrigue in them. I have been enjoying Maeve Binchey's books.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently read a memoir by James McBride called "The Color of Water: A Black Man's Tribute to His White Mother." It's about his interracial family, a white Jewish mother raising 12 black children. So so wonderful.

I read that one years ago and really liked it.

I'm currently reading Moby Dick (slowly, in between other books) and just finished Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella. I confess I love her books - she's funny, I like the hilarious scrapes her heroines get themselves in, and sometimes she really has something to say (my fav of hers is Twenties Girl, which I would not classify as a mere fun/fluff read).

I'm also back on my Ken Follet kick - I must must read all his like Karen has!

I am what you would call an eclectic reader...if it 's interesting and engaging, I am going to read it. I have just started Twelve Years a Slave, a memoir written in the mid 1800's, and the source of the movie that was just released. Completely engrossing, loving having to sort through the vernacular of the era.

I haven't been reading much lately, but I LOVE detective stories - but more of the funny type. I have read the whole series that follows a bumbling English amateur detective called Agatha Raisin. I also love the series by Janet Evanovich :)/>

I love cozy mysteries, but have found the recent ones to be overly formulaic and boring. Switching things up to some deep non-fiction. Current one is Theology for the Troubled Believer by Diogenes Allen. Deep yes, but very readable. Some very interesting ideas. I'll need some light reading after this one though.

• 2 weeks later...

I am finishing up a series written by Kathleen Morgan about a family that came from Scotland and settled in Colorado - first book was a freebie for nook and kindle called "Daughters of Joy".

I do have a new book I'm waiting to start December 1rst ... written by Ann VosKamp called "The Greatest Gift - Unwrapping the Full Love Story of Christmas". It is an advent daily devotional. I absolutely LOVE Ann's writing style! If you have not read her" One Thousand Gifts" ... I highly recommend it!

I am finishing up a series written by Kathleen Morgan about a family that came from Scotland and settled in Colorado - first book was a freebie for nook and kindle called "Daughters of Joy".

I do have a new book I'm waiting to start December 1rst ... written by Ann VosKamp called "The Greatest Gift - Unwrapping the Full Love Story of Christmas". It is an advent daily devotional. I absolutely LOVE Ann's writing style! If you have not read her" One Thousand Gifts" ... I highly recommend it!

After reading your post about "the Greatest Gift" I went to check it out. Just downloaded it to my Kindle app. Sounds like just what I need for this month's reading. Thanks for the recommendation.

Are you making the tree and ornaments?

After reading your post about "the Greatest Gift" I went to check it out. Just downloaded it to my Kindle app. Sounds like just what I need for this month's reading. Thanks for the recommendation.

Yes, now that Thanksgiving is over and after the boys leave for home today I was planning on having my granddaughter help me make them. I have her here until Sunday - will be a good project for us! Are you also going to make the tree and ornaments?

Running to Amazon to check it out...hope the library has it for the Kindle!

I haven't read in eons, I need to check out some of these titles ladies! I have been scrapbooking, sewing for a craft fair and chasing a very busy 17 month old LOL!

Oy, Shannon! I remember those days of being busy with little ones and not having time to read except those bedtime and cuddle time stories to the boys!

I'm reading literature on heart failure that the docs gave me - honestly, I am learning things I did not know. The books are long and include words I don't always understand but at least I can converse with the doctor halfway intellectually now.

I do have a new book I'm waiting to start December 1rst ... written by Ann VosKamp called "The Greatest Gift - Unwrapping the Full Love Story of Christmas". It is an advent daily devotional. I absolutely LOVE Ann's writing style!

After reading your post about "the Greatest Gift" I went to check it out. Just downloaded it to my Kindle app. Thanks for the recommendation.

Yes, now that Thanksgiving is over and after the boys leave for home today I was planning on having my granddaughter help me make them. I have her here until Sunday - will be a good project for us! Are you also going to make the tree and ornaments?

I'm working on the ornaments, though the tree may have to wait until next year, depending on how they go. Here's what I'm doing:

I downloaded the PDF file from the website, and did a test print of one page, but I wasn't really happy with them. Lots of white border and looked a little flat. Next, I tried dragging the individual images to my desktop, and they came off as tif files. I named them all, and imported them into PSE. Cropped some of the white, added a coordinating tan background (BMU_WC_Paper_Leaves) and a drop shadow for more dimension. Next, I resized them so 2 fit on a 4x6 print with a 1/8 inch border on the edges for printing bleed. (So they're just under 3x3 inches.) I ordered photographic prints, and prints on card stock. From there I'm planning some kind of hybrid project. Maybe use the two prints as front and back or mount them on foam core board. Probably add a bit of sparkle and ribbon. (Any suggestions would be welcome...) Here's what one of the finished pages I sent to the printers looks like:

post-21105-0-13513700-1386001744_thumb.jpg

Those ornament look lovely, Karen. I'll have to check out that book. I read a variety of things - romances, if not too silly; mysteries, but not too gory (although I do like Jo Nesbo); science fiction, but rarely fantasy; nonfiction as bathroom reading - a paragraph or two each time I brush my teeth. My favorite new author is Louise Penny. She writes tangled mysteries set in Quebec, and her characters are beautifully developed. When I read a review of "How the Light Gets In" I tracked down the beginning of the series, and I've finished four so far. I also go back and re-read old books - Ellis Peters, Charlotte Armstrong, Georgette Heyer, Ursula LeGuin, Madeleine L'Engle. I always have two or three running at a time - hardback, soft back, Kindle - just as long as it's a book!

I do have a new book I'm waiting to start December 1rst ... written by Ann VosKamp called "The Greatest Gift - Unwrapping the Full Love Story of Christmas". It is an advent daily devotional. I absolutely LOVE Ann's writing style!

After reading your post about "the Greatest Gift" I went to check it out. Just downloaded it to my Kindle app. Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm working on the ornaments, though the tree may have to wait until next year, depending on how they go. Here's what I'm doing:

I downloaded the PDF file from the website, and did a test print of one page, but I wasn't really happy with them. Lots of white border and looked a little flat. Next, I tried dragging the individual images to my desktop, and they came off as tif files. I named them all, and imported them into PSE. Cropped some of the white, added a coordinating tan background (BMU_WC_Paper_Leaves) and a drop shadow for more dimension. Next, I resized them so 2 fit on a 4x6 print with a 1/8 inch border on the edges for printing bleed. (So they're just under 3x3 inches.) I ordered photographic prints, and prints on card stock. From there I'm planning some kind of hybrid project. Maybe use the two prints as front and back or mount them on foam core board. Probably add a bit of sparkle and ribbon. (Any suggestions would be welcome...) Here's what one of the finished pages I sent to the printers looks like:

I was trying to figure out (haven't taken the time to really explore) how to get them as a jpeg, extract background in PS and then save and flip them into my silhouette to have it cut each of them as a Scherenschnitte on white water color paper. If I get that figured out I'll share!

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished my ornaments today. The whole project took an amazing amount of time! Nevertheless, I'm pretty happy with them. Plan to make a second set to give away, but they will be much more simple, no bling, just a white background with some cut-outs on the corners, and jute twine for the hanger and the bow.

I shopped for something to use for the tree - thinking a woodland-style tree with bare branches or an Alpine-style pine tree. Nothing was what I had in mind or it just looked too cheap, so this year I'm just adding the ornaments to the tree in the living room day by day. I'll shop again next year and not wait until mid-December (or go cut something from the woods...).

I posted a photo in the hybrid gallery of the finished ornaments, front & back. Can't seem to figure out how to link it.

Archived