Full Sheets And Pngs

Rose Ann

Do you keep the Duplicates?  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am trying to refine my organization system for my supplies and save a little bit of disk space. Disk space isn't a big issue for me and I don't even mind having duplicates of things. Before Win7 I had my supplies in collections as well as separated into categories....but I have an aversion to deleting my scrapping supplies, though, so here's what I wonder:

If I keep the PSDs of layered items and all the individual files, do you think there's a reason to keep the PNGs as well as the PSDs and the full sheets as well as the individuals of the same things?

What do yo think scrap sisters?

I have sometimes deleted the .pngs if there is a .psd layered file (eg. many embellishment templates have these, for those who don't know what we're talking about). I have never deleted the full sheets of .pngs. In fact for alpha, I very rarely if ever use the individual .pngs...always the full sheet. Much faster for me. I use the marquee tool to quickly select the one I need, press and hold Control to temporarily get the move tool, drag to my layout, and repeat with the marquee tool on the next letter I need. Very very cool trick:)

I keep everything Rose Ann, and I pretty much do what Cheri does - most of the time - occasionally I will go to the individual files but usually that's only when I'm using something that I've used many times before and know exactly what I want. I'm such a browser - I love to just take a stroll through all of my scrapping supplies when I'm scrapping - slow like a turtle but I shop that way too! So guess it's just me!

Good Poll - great question! I'll be anxious to see the results on this one.

I don't keep the full sheets, because I separate items by catagory in subfolders. As my collection grows, I don't know if that's the best plan, though.

I keep the PSD and sample of layered items together, and get rid of the PNGs. If there isn't a PSD of multilayered items, I will sometimes create one, then keep that and a sample. Sometimes I keep indivivuals PNGs if they seem particularly cool or like something I would use individually. I also keep the PNGs of many of my brushes.

Like Belle, I keep everything. I guess you could delete the png's as long as there is a psd, but I never do. I'm a pack rat with personal items as well as with my scrapping and photo supplies. I've learned over the years from working (gasp!) that you never throw anything out. Because as soon as you do, the next day you will need it. I worked in TV Research for many years and then in a Home Health Agency where I worked with client charts and every scrap of paper had to be kept.

So I keep everything. My zipped files get saved to my EHD and as my collection grows (and it certainly is growing), I move older collections to the EHD. Now I have to get a Terabyte EHD, as I'm running out of space on my 698GB EHD.

The full sheets I keep in a file labeled 'samples', but I never use them.

I have sometimes deleted the .pngs if there is a .psd layered file (eg. many embellishment templates have these, for those who don't know what we're talking about). I have never deleted the full sheets of .pngs. In fact for alpha, I very rarely if ever use the individual .pngs...always the full sheet. Much faster for me. I use the marquee tool to quickly select the one I need, press and hold Control to temporarily get the move tool, drag to my layout, and repeat with the marquee tool on the next letter I need. Very very cool trick:)

News to me! Thanks! I'm adding this to my "cool stuff to know" document. :D

Becky, I like your idea for a "Cool Stuff to Know" document!

News to me! Thanks! I'm adding this to my "cool stuff to know" document. :D

Great question! -- I keep and use individual PNG files for my Alphas -- and rarely use the full sheet -- but am going to go try Cheri T.'s cool trick!

I open up my Alpha Individual sheet and simply hold down Control and click on the all the letters I need -- then click Open -- and they all pop open for me to use in PS. I do however, have to use the Move Tool to transfer each one over to doc itself.

I do what Cheri does with the Alpha sheets. It is quicker to copy and paste than to open each individual file. I keep the sheets of embellies too although I don't often use them in that way. I often use the .pngs of brushes rather than the brushes themselves.

Archived