Thursday Challenge 07/21/11

PBarnes

I'm filling in for Ngaire today while she's off on a well deserved vacation.

The challenge for today is to scrap a layout about an historical marker, sign or monument. You've probably shot some snapshots of historical markers on vacation or you could go out into your community and find one. If you don't know where any are in your area, try Googling "historical marker city" with city being your town.

Post your finished layouts in the General Message Board gallery.

Here's mine: Omaha

I can't wait to see a little bit of history about where you live or travel.

I absolutely love this idea, Pat! I can't wait to get home to try this - I have several different historical marker photos!

This is a great challenge. I always take photos of historical sites, so I have a lot to choose from. New York is rich in historical places, as most of the Revolutionary battles were fought here in New York. Off to my photo stash. I might end up doing a couple of layouts.

Oh Pat what a wonderful challenge. Great way to get to know places around the world! I have had a peek at everyones Lo's but haven't had the time to leave any love. Hopefully I will later. Thanks Pat for filling in for me, looks like the girls have really enjoyed this challenge. I have a real beaut photo that just fits this theme perfectly, hope I can get a Lo done with it. Took it while we were on holiday.

I did two layouts for this challenge. I could have done a lot more, but I figure two is enough, for now. This is some additional info that I found out about the Statue:

The New Colossus" is a sonnet by Emma Lazarus (1849–1887), written in 1883 and, in 1903, engraved on a bronze plaque and mounted inside the Statue of Liberty.

The New Colossus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,

With conquering limbs astride from land to land;

Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand

A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame

Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name

Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand

Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command

The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she

With silent lips.

"Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Emma Lazarus, 1883

And here are the two layouts:

Tarrytown

Statue of Liberty

Archived