#1 LisaAnne

LisaAnne

Scrapper Next Door

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:00 AM

Hi Girls,

I've got a question for any of you who MAKE .png files. I've noticed that some of the time while I'm browsing Finder for .png files I've made, my mac puts a white background behind the .png file... like a .jpg or a file type that doesnt support transparency. The white isnt really part of the file, when I go into photoshop I can place the .png and the transparencies are still intact and the white background is gone. I'm just wondering if any of you know why it does this. I'd rather not see the white while I'm browsing my files because it helps me notice which files are .png and which ones arent. My ScrapGirls products never have the white background in finder so you must know something I dont;)

Does that make sense? If any of you designers have noticed this I'd love some insight.

Thanks!

All the best,
Posted Image

#2 Cabalistic

Cabalistic

Scrapper Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Personal Statement:Creatively Chaotic.

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:18 AM

I noticed it does that in Win7 as well. I would imagine to a computer or program, it has to fill in the transparency somehow and filling with a white background is a default for whichever program or viewer you may be using. Not sure why your SG products doesn't have the white background, or they may not be as noticeable in your viewer, I use Windows Explorer to view my files so the background is white anyways so hard to tell the difference unless there is a shadow.

I'm sure someone a bit more knowledgeable may come along with a better answer. It's not just for macs it does it in Windows too! :)
Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 elibar

elibar

If there's a cure for this, I don't want it!

• Design Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
  • Personal Statement:Love your God. Learn His ways. Live for others.

Posted 24 July 2011 - 05:45 AM

I'm using Win7 on a PD. All of my png files show up with a white background, and it's shadowed. Here's a screen shot of my freebie folder:
Attached File  Fullscreen capture 7242011 63032 AM.bmp   3.71MB   4 downloads

I can understand why you might want to see a transparent background so that you can see the difference between a PNG and a JPG. You may be able to change you folder view, but I don't know how.

I prefer to use Picasa as my supplies organizer/viewer. My psd files have a clear background on it:
Attached File  Fullscreen capture 7242011 63032 AM.bmp   3.71MB   4 downloads

Not sure why you're getting a different view for SG stuff. It might be a Mac thing????

Attached Files

gallery_11196_66_57667.png
siggie credits
Elisha Barnett
my latest products (click to view):

EBA_Collection_DaffodilDays_MKTG_150.jpg EBA_PaperMini_FreshPaint_MKTG_150.jpg  EBA_CollectionBiggie_Afresh_MKTG_150.jpg EBA_BrushSet_PapercutLadies2_MKTG_150.jp

BLINKIES_Prayer.gifDesigner-sm-1.pngSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users