Installing Styles

bbowen

I have been trying to update all of my styles and some of them are not installing into PSE7. I read somewhere that you can have to many in PSE3, is that true for PSE7 too? If so how many can you have at one time? If not does anyone have any suggestions on why the are not installing? Thanks a million! :huh:

Hmm not really positive about the number, but I have always had ALOT in 6, 7, 8 & 9 and had no trouble with having to many. It may be that you need to delete the ThumbDatabase.db3 file and let the software rebuild to show them. What operating system are you using? They are stored in different places on the different OS...

Here's the path where it's found on my Vista computer. HP(C:)>ProgramData>Adobe>Photoshop Elements>9.0 Yours should be a a very similar spot, unless you're using a MAC. Then just delete the file called ThumbDatabase.db3 and restart your PSE and it will rebuild the database. Hopefully your styles will show up after that.

I believe there is a limit to the number of styles that will show up under the Styles drop down, but they will all show up if you click on All (far right button that has an fx on it.)

I don't think there is a limit to the amount of styles you can have installed. It just takes a while for them to load when you first open PSE. I have lots of styles and keep adding to the data base. Follow the advice on deleting the .db3 and let PSE rebuild it.

I always keep forgetting to put what I am using... I have Windows Vista with PSE7. I have been reading some other forums about styles and I am alittle confused. What kind of files are you supposed to have for each style; I know you are supposed to have an .asl file, but are there other kinds you need to have? Some of the styles that I have bought only have a .asl to install, nothing else. Is that correct?

I also have been looking into that add-o-matic! Would have help with this problem and would it work with PSE7?

Thanks again for all of your help!

You only have to have the one asl file. That's the actual style file. But alot of them come with a pic to show up in your program. Then if you go to the next level and organize them you will have to make a metadata file for them. The original ones that came with PSE have them already created for them. That's how they show up in different categories.

• 3 weeks later...

I am getting so confussed!!! I have decided to get the Add-O-Matic, but first I have a few questions! LOL! If I reinstall my styles/actions/ect. with the AOM will it double them? Or should I go and delete all the stuff I have installed first and then redo it? I am just getting really confused with the metadata stuff. Do you have to have the metadata files too? I would like to know for sure what I should have in my file that I have installed my styles/actions/ect. In styles you should have an asl file and what else? In the actions folder you should have a atn and a png file right? What if you have other stuff in your folders, can you delete that stuff or should you just leave it alone? Im sorry to be such a pain in the butt, but I would LOVE to use my stuff! :happy014:

Archived