Add-O-Matic And Handy Actions?

Smiles

I'm so frustrated with styles in PSE9 I'm about to invest in Add-O-Matic. They have a bundle with their Handy Actions program. Has anyone tried it? I definitely don't need anything that will add to my frustration level!

thanks!

:)

I use to use Add o Matic and while I liked the ease of it, I didn't like not having previews of my styles, but I know there is a work around for that.

Do you mean that when you install styles with AOM that you don't get the previews I'm used to in PSE5?

I've used Add o Matic with both PSE 7 and 9 and I didn't have any trouble with previews. They all showed up fine for me. I don't know anything about the Handy Actions program though, so I'm interested in hearing what other have to say. :)

I use AOM to install all my styles & actions in PSE9. AOM will install the previews of the styles; you have to manually add the previews of the actions by copying the PNG previews that come with the SG action, and pasting it into the PSE actions folder (where the actions are installed).

I've never heard of the Handy Actions bundle..

I think maybe I should go check out the Handy Actions. Maybe this program will put the png previews in. One can only hope. I uses AOM for all my actions and then followed the instuctions from the free book we got from Scrap Girls. Worked very well.

This is all still very new to me. I haven't installed any actions, styles, or brushes yet. Do the styles and actions go to the same file in PSE9? Where would I get this Add o Matic? Does it find all my actions and styles that I download from Scrapgirls and automatically just install them in the correct location? Does it work with the brushes? I get both the clubs and I beleive that styles, actions, or brushes come with the SS Club. How do I know what the actions/styles are? I guess I am still confused about all this and just trying to start using all the stuff I have been getting with the clubs but feeling overwelmed because there are so many downloads with the clubs and just not sure where to begin.

I have a pretty large collection of scrapbooking supplies that I have downloaded (so many free digital downloads on the internet) before joining scrapgirls. I have been getting the clubs for about 4 months now and keep them separate from everything else. I organized all my other scrapbooking supplies following Ro's suggestions. But I was wondering how to organize the clubs. Could you tell me how you organize your clubs? Do you just unzip them and keep them in their folders? I am not finding that very useful. I am thinking I would like to be able to open a file and see everything all at once that was included with each club, not have to click on 19 different folders to see what is inside. Also wanted to know if anyone knows about abrmate 1.0? I got it off the adobe site when I downloaded a free brush and it said I would need to install it in order to use the brush? Sorry for all the questions:)

Thanks,

Patty

I think maybe I should go check out the Handy Actions. Maybe this program will put the png previews in. One can only hope. I uses AOM for all my actions and then followed the instuctions from the free book we got from Scrap Girls. Worked very well.

Belle,

Please let me know what you find out about the Handy Actions. I haven't installed any actions/styles yet but I would definitely want to see previews with them once I figure out what they even do, lol.

This is all still very new to me. I haven't installed any actions, styles, or brushes yet. Do the styles and actions go to the same file in PSE9? Where would I get this Add o Matic? Does it find all my actions and styles that I download from Scrapgirls and automatically just install them in the correct location? Does it work with the brushes? I get both the clubs and I beleive that styles, actions, or brushes come with the SS Club. How do I know what the actions/styles are? I guess I am still confused about all this and just trying to start using all the stuff I have been getting with the clubs but feeling overwelmed because there are so many downloads with the clubs and just not sure where to begin.

I have a pretty large collection of scrapbooking supplies that I have downloaded (so many free digital downloads on the internet) before joining scrapgirls. I have been getting the clubs for about 4 months now and keep them separate from everything else. I organized all my other scrapbooking supplies following Ro's suggestions. But I was wondering how to organize the clubs. Could you tell me how you organize your clubs? Do you just unzip them and keep them in their folders? I am not finding that very useful. I am thinking I would like to be able to open a file and see everything all at once that was included with each club, not have to click on 19 different folders to see what is inside. Also wanted to know if anyone knows about abrmate 1.0? I got it off the adobe site when I downloaded a free brush and it said I would need to install it in order to use the brush? Sorry for all the questions:)

Thanks,

Patty

Patty, I follow April's suggestion to put all the contents of a kit in one folder so you can see them all (I do leave the alphabets in a subfolder, but I take out the preview page so I can see it). I used to break the clubs up like Ro's system, but I ended up putting them all back together, as that's the way I use them. On the Scrap Simple clubs, I put all the like items in one folder (one folder for papers, one for embellies, one for wordart etc.), the put all those folders into one Club folder. I don't use them very much myself.

You don't have to install brushes - you can use the .png files as templates. It's easy to color them with styles or other methods. This is a pretty sketchy answer, but I hope it helps.

To install the brushes is the easiest. Go to 'My Computer'>Program Files>Adobe>Photoshop Elements 9 (or whatever)>Presets>Brushes. Open fille. The .ABR files are the brush files. When you have opened the stash you buy from SG's take the .ABR file and either 'drag and drop' or copy, paste into this Brush file. Restart PSE to get it working. I use PSE9 with Windows 7 on a PC. Once you are more up to speed with loading brushes there is a neat trick to sorting them. But that later. Have to go out now. Will be back later about the styles and actions unless someone else has answered in the meantime.

Okay Styles. When you open your stash, you will see the Style has got a 'FX' in the block and says Styles. Open Graffie's Add-O-Matic for Photoshop Elements. (I paid $50 for it and it is worth every cent). Drag the style into AOM, you can do more than one at a time. Say 'Go' and it sorts it into the proper place. I always rename my style. I put a '1' in front so that they are all sorted together and at the top. There is another way and a thread somewhere. I found that very difficult and messed up my styles. This works like a bomb.

For actions, you do the same thing. Only thing is you do not get the little png thumbnail but just a blue block, which I don't like. I used that free e-book and followed the instuctions. It worked but I think maybe you should first try to get the other things sorted. Hope this works for you

I think when I upgrade to PSE 10 or 11 LOL I will invest in add o matic until then I will stick with 7.0! Haven't heard anything about the Handy action either!

Shannon,

Do you move your actions/styles manually?

Okay Styles. When you open your stash, you will see the Style has got a 'FX' in the block and says Styles. Open Graffie's Add-O-Matic for Photoshop Elements. (I paid $50 for it and it is worth every cent). Drag the style into AOM, you can do more than one at a time. Say 'Go' and it sorts it into the proper place. I always rename my style. I put a '1' in front so that they are all sorted together and at the top. There is another way and a thread somewhere. I found that very difficult and messed up my styles. This works like a bomb.

For actions, you do the same thing. Only thing is you do not get the little png thumbnail but just a blue block, which I don't like. I used that free e-book and followed the instuctions. It worked but I think maybe you should first try to get the other things sorted. Hope this works for you

Ok, so I will know that it is a style because it will have an "FX", what will the actions show? Am I understanding that the actions and styles have 2 separate folders in PSE9? If I put all my styles and actions into the AOM, it will put them into the correct folders? Do you get the thumbnail with the styles or you don't get them with either styles or actions? Can you tell me what the difference is between an action and a style? Thanks for all your help Belle, I really appreciate it.

I'm so frustrated with styles in PSE9 I'm about to invest in Add-O-Matic. They have a bundle with their Handy Actions program. Has anyone tried it? I definitely don't need anything that will add to my frustration level!

thanks!

Gayle,

Could you tell us more about this Handy Actions program? Seems like many use the AOM but don't know about the other program. From what I have read the AOM will put the thumbnails for the styles but not the actions; maybe the Handy Action program puts the thumbnails with the actions.

Thanks,

Patty

A style colorizes or changes the appearance of your embellishment, template etc. It might add glitter and depth, but the shape remains the same.

An action is a series of steps that "run" in order when you "play" them. Photoshop (the big daddy) lets you write actions as shortcuts. We can't write them in PSE, but if someone has made them for PSE, we can install and use them. You'll notice that some actions in the boutique are only for Photoshop - it's not possible to create them for PSE.

If this doesn't help, ask away!

I have yet to get anything installed in PSE9, which is why I'm going to buy Add-O-Matic.

thanks!

Gayle,

Could you tell us more about this Handy Actions program? Seems like many use the AOM but don't know about the other program. From what I have read the AOM will put the thumbnails for the styles but not the actions; maybe the Handy Action program puts the thumbnails with the actions.

Thanks,

Patty

The website does not list all the actions included in the Handy Actions program, but it says it allows you to do many things Photoshop does that PSE doesn't. From the description, I don't think it would include those thumbnails. It talks about things like layer masks and Paths. I could be wrong, though. That's why I asked if anyone had tried it.

The website does not list all the actions included in the Handy Actions program, but it says it allows you to do many things Photoshop does that PSE doesn't. From the description, I don't think it would include those thumbnails. It talks about things like layer masks and Paths. I could be wrong, though. That's why I asked if anyone had tried it.

this page has a link to a screen shot of the Handy Actions palette. Scroll down the page to a little more than half way down and the link is in blue letters. HTH

Ok, so I will know that it is a style because it will have an "FX", what will the actions show? The easiest way to determine the difference: Styles files end in .ASL and Actions files end in .ATN

Am I understanding that the actions and styles have 2 separate folders in PSE9? Styles & Actions have separate folders in all versions of Photoshop Elements. This should be explained in the Scrap Simple Handbook available for free in our boutique.

If I put all my styles and actions into the AOM, it will put them into the correct folders? Yes, you drag the Styles (.asl), Actions (.atn), Brushes (.abr), or Custom Shapes (.csh) files into AOM and the program will automatically install it in the correct folders. It ALSO creates any metadata (.xml) files that are needed in order for the software to recognize them. (Metadata files can also be manually created, and that process has been explained numerous times in other threads on this forum - you can search for those.)

Do you get the thumbnail with the styles or you don't get them with either styles or actions? AOM will automatically add the preview thumbnails with the styles because they are part of the styles .asl file. Actions thumbnails are included with your SG purchase, but they are .png files separate from the action .atn file. Regardless of if you use AOM or install the actions manually, you will need to copy the PNG thumbnail and paste it into the PSE Actions install folder.

Can you tell me what the difference is between an action and a style? Once again, this is explained in the Scrap Simple Handbook. But basically, actions automate tedious tasks, speed up labor intensive effects and

take advantage of the expertise of others...such as applying detailed photo effects, curling/lifting papers, duplicating elements, etc. Styles are pretty much what the name says - with one click on a button, you can apply a style (foil, metal, glitter, plastic, cotton candy, cardstock, fabric, etc) to an element. The best way to see the difference is to look through the boutique and just see the different ones available and you'll notice the difference between the actions and the styles.

Ok, so I will know that it is a style because it will have an "FX", what will the actions show? The easiest way to determine the difference: Styles files end in .ASL and Actions files end in .ATN

Am I understanding that the actions and styles have 2 separate folders in PSE9? Styles & Actions have separate folders in all versions of Photoshop Elements. This should be explained in the Scrap Simple Handbook available for free in our boutique.

If I put all my styles and actions into the AOM, it will put them into the correct folders? Yes, you drag the Styles (.asl), Actions (.atn), Brushes (.abr), or Custom Shapes (.csh) files into AOM and the program will automatically install it in the correct folders. It ALSO creates any metadata (.xml) files that are needed in order for the software to recognize them. (Metadata files can also be manually created, and that process has been explained numerous times in other threads on this forum - you can search for those.)

Do you get the thumbnail with the styles or you don't get them with either styles or actions? AOM will automatically add the preview thumbnails with the styles because they are part of the styles .asl file. Actions thumbnails are included with your SG purchase, but they are .png files separate from the action .atn file. Regardless of if you use AOM or install the actions manually, you will need to copy the PNG thumbnail and paste it into the PSE Actions install folder.

Can you tell me what the difference is between an action and a style? Once again, this is explained in the Scrap Simple Handbook. But basically, actions automate tedious tasks, speed up labor intensive effects and

take advantage of the expertise of others...such as applying detailed photo effects, curling/lifting papers, duplicating elements, etc. Styles are pretty much what the name says - with one click on a button, you can apply a style (foil, metal, glitter, plastic, cotton candy, cardstock, fabric, etc) to an element. The best way to see the difference is to look through the boutique and just see the different ones available and you'll notice the difference between the actions and the styles.

Tiza,

Thank you so much for the detailed information. I am writing and taking notes on all the information I get off the forums. I did look at the Scrap Simple Handbook, but will admit that I haven't read through it from beginning to end...which I will definitely have to do. I hope that will help clear up a lot of questions for me. I still have to also go through Ro's second set of CDs that I purchased. I apologize if I ask questions that have previously been asked & answered. I try to look through the forum before posting my questions. Since I am just starting out with the SG clubs, I don't think that I have tons of the actions, styles, brushes, or shapes so I think I might just look for them in the clubs (now that I have all the extensions) that I have received and move them manually into the correct folders. My only concern with that is that you mentioned that you also need the metadata file for the software to recognize them. So I will do a search and see what needs to be done to make sure this file is created when I add my files. Again, thank you very much, your answers really helped me a lot.

Thanks again,

Patty

Wow Theresa, I learned so much from this thankyou. Have been struggling with the same things myself. Thanks also Patty for asking. It was a tremendous help. Kay

Patty, I know the SS Handbook is really large. You can skip around to the sections that apply to you and ignore the rest for now. I just wanted you to know what to look for. :)

It's been a long time since I've watched Ro's videos...and I don't know if I ever watched the second group of them, so I don't know what all was covered in them. I should probably review those myself.

I know there are previous threads about the metadata, because it was a hot topic of conversation and questions last year when PSE9 first came out, and Adobe switched the way the software recognized the styles/actions. It's a lot to type out each time. If you cant find the instructions on the board, let me know and I'll go searching for the right thread for you.

So sorry I did not get back with anwers but I live in a different time zone and was asleep while all this was happening. Glad Tiza was able to help. She is a lot better at it than what I am. She mentions .ASL and .ATN ext, I just look at the pictures. :disappearing-smilie: I did look at the Handy Actions and as Tiza said, it seems as if AOM is the way to go. (It keeps you sane)

So sorry I did not get back with anwers but I live in a different time zone and was asleep while all this was happening. Glad Tiza was able to help. She is a lot better at it than what I am. She mentions .ASL and .ATN ext, I just look at the pictures. :disappearing-smilie: I did look at the Handy Actions and as Tiza said, it seems as if AOM is the way to go. (It keeps you sane)

Awww thanks Belle. We make a great team - you answer during your daytime while I am sleeping/at work, and I answer when I'm awake and you are sleeping ;)

Awww thanks Belle. We make a great team - you answer during your daytime while I am sleeping/at work, and I answer when I'm awake and you are sleeping ;)

This will be my last question regarding this topic, I promise:) If I add actions, styles, brushes, etc... manually to the correct PSE folder, will it automatically create the metadata file that is needed? I will be adding the action, styles files plus the PNG files also.

You guys are so great, thanks again for all the great information.

Patty

Archived