Brushes

I wanted to know what the difference is between the regular brushes and the dynamic brushes. I know I asked this before during a New Member chat but forgot to write it down.

Thanks,

Patty

Hi Patty! The dynamic brushes differ in that they have some variations built into them. As you move your mouse or tablet pen, you will get variations in size, spacing, scatter and even color. They work especially well with a pen and tablet but they do work with a mouse also. With the pen on a tablet, pressure differences cause variations also. They are SO much fun!! Does that help?

I have a tablet but rarely use it, but I do use dynamic brushes just fine with a mouse. I like how they change directions as my mouse does. Try them you will love them, they are very clever.

Thanks again for all your answers. I think I understand what the dynamic brushes can be used for but can't the regular brushes do the same things?

Patty

Thanks again for all your answers. I think I understand what the dynamic brushes can be used for but can't the regular brushes do the same things?

Patty

No Patty, regular brushes won't really do the same things as dynamic brushes. As Pat explains in this post, as you move your mouse or tablet pen, you will get variations in size, spacing, etc. The best way to learn about dynamic brushes is to use them. Maybe purchase a set that looks interesting to you and just play with them. HTH

Actually, depending on your software, you may be able to make a regular brush into a dynamic brush. In Photoshop, you view the Window/Palette for Brushes. Select the brush of interest, and then you can adjust the alignment jitter, spacing, hue, angle, opacity, size variations, among other parameters.

That said, finding nice combinations of these parameters can be a significant challenge. You can burn up a lot of time playing, and may or may not get to a desirable result. With Dynamic brushes, the designers have done the hard work for us--we can just use it!

Archived