Weird Realization

diannecp

I just realized something. I hate to clothes shop. I know, either you love it or you don't. I don't. For one major reason. I hate trying to match stuff! I have a good enough eye for color, am somewhat artistic, and know what doesn't match. But when I walk into a store and try to coordinate stuff on the rack - it gives me a headache. I'm serious. And please don't take me to Goodwill or TJ Maxx. I'm not a snob, I just can't deal with all the colors coming at me!!

My sister and I shared an apt. for a few years while we taught school. She'd come home on a Friday night with a new outfit. I'd ask where she got it and what size, and go buy myself the same outfit in a different color . . . without trying it on usually. I know it drove her nuts but she obliged me. Today I wear Life is Good t-shirts, sweatshirts and jeans/shorts. S.I.M.P.L.E.!!

So my realization tonight is this: I get this same exact feeling when I go through folders looking for items to coordinate for a layout. Having stuff in collections helps a lot. But in general, I get that same feeling. Maybe this is why the SS templates are starting to appeal to me more and why I get into brushes, etc. more. Is that weird or what? I always joke that I am embellishment challenged but maybe that's just how my brain works?

I don't think it's that weird. I really like using ScrapSimple Stuff that I can color to match my photos and I also love using Collections that are already put together for me! It makes it much easier to make things look good! LOL!

Not weird at all. It's all in how the brain is wired - do you see shapes and design first, or color. One of the designers told me she tried to design templates first, and it just didn't work for her, because she needs the color.

I also love using one collection - I especially love clubs, or collection add-ons, giving more options. Some of the designers have standard color palettes, if you've noticed. Kerry Veale has a few collections in sherbet palettes, and they all work together. Brandy Murray uses the same color lines in a number of her collections. Amanda Frajito-Tobin has done a number of collections that work beautifully together also.

I just thought I was being lazy, but I think you're right - all the choices can really be overwhelming!

As far a clothes shopping is concerned, I'm with you all the way on that. All my clothes must be altered first, (because of a stupid pear shaped figure and short arms and legs) and that just puts me right off. I buy one pair of shoes and wear that until I can't be seen in public with them on anymore. Now handbag shopping, that's a whole different story.:disappearing-smilie:

Embellishments, papers and colors, I go fo the same collection or club. I am not good at mix and matching. When I do a layout, I always first start with a template. Not that I always end up with it. Then I choose a collection that will go with the photo. If I don't have one, of course the colors can be changed. I like doing that. But live and learn, we will all get there in the end. One thing about digi scrapping, you don't have to produce masterpieces all the time. As long as you like what you have done, then that is fine.

I don't think that's weird at all Dianne!

Clothes shopping! That's my thing! I love it! I can shop for hours and I never try anything on - I find my size, buy it and rush it home to my closet! I'm a real nut when it comes to color coordinating my clothes and almost anal about it.

Digi-scrapping? I am so thankful for the color-coordinated collections every day and that our designers know what goes together because otherwise I wouldn't be able to put anything together! I tend to use one whole collection or a designer's collection who keeps her colors pretty well coordinated within collections so that I don't have to "match" anything - like Belle said.

I have never understood why if I'm so good at colors and clothes, why I have such a problem with my colors in scrapping - seems like one skill would carry over to the other, doesn't it?

I laughed when I read this thinking of the saying, "Wherever you go, there you are!". I found it fascinating when starting digi-scrapping that the issues I had in paper scrapping remained the same (albeit a little different) when working on my computer. For instance, in paper scrapping, I'd have EVERY possible piece of material and tools I MIGHT need in a layout -- all the choices I could pick from -- a HUGE mess all over the table...

And, what do you think happens in my PE workspace? EVERY possibility of paper, embellishment, word art, etc open in my workspace!!! I laughed the first time I realized it. I guess you really can't escape your Self even when moving into different situations -- in life OR in crafts... Hee hee.......

And, me too -- I have trouble mixing and matching from different collections and usually will stick with one and maybe a few additions from another.

Good to hear these responses - you all made me laugh. I think my take-away is realizing how I work best and trying to stay in that flow. ;) Which you all affirmed!

I don't think it's weird at all either...I do have to LOL at the Goodwill comment you made though. I adore consignment and second-hand shops for several reasons (they are eco-friendly, inexpensive, etc...plus in my town they often have a better selection than the retail stores, and I HATE driving 45 minutes to another town to purchase clothing; I like to keep my clothes $ local). Goodwill is a little overwhelming in size, but I love that they "rainbow" the clothes b/c I often look in my rainbowed closet and think, huh, I need a yellow shirt. And I can go look at JUST the yellow shirts.

I totally agree that for many of the designers, multiple products of theirs work great together. I will often pull up all the previews from eg. Amanda Fraijo-Tobin and see what all I can pull together for a page.

as much as possible i purchase my clothes on eBay! all i need to know is my size. Levis 505 and Life is Good t-shirts, sz M. can't get any easier than that ;)

I just realized something. I hate to clothes shop. I know, either you love it or you don't. I don't. For one major reason. I hate trying to match stuff! I have a good enough eye for color, am somewhat artistic, and know what doesn't match. But when I walk into a store and try to coordinate stuff on the rack - it gives me a headache. I'm serious. And please don't take me to Goodwill or TJ Maxx. I'm not a snob, I just can't deal with all the colors coming at me!!

My sister and I shared an apt. for a few years while we taught school. She'd come home on a Friday night with a new outfit. I'd ask where she got it and what size, and go buy myself the same outfit in a different color . . . without trying it on usually. I know it drove her nuts but she obliged me. Today I wear Life is Good t-shirts, sweatshirts and jeans/shorts. S.I.M.P.L.E.!!

So my realization tonight is this: I get this same exact feeling when I go through folders looking for items to coordinate for a layout. Having stuff in collections helps a lot. But in general, I get that same feeling. Maybe this is why the SS templates are starting to appeal to me more and why I get into brushes, etc. more. Is that weird or what? I always joke that I am embellishment challenged but maybe that's just how my brain works?

Dianne,

I had to come back to this thread - when I posted the other day I was in a hurry and I wanted to say that I am so envious of all of the girls here who are talented enough to choose so many different things from different collections and use them in a layout. When I go through the Gallery and see a layout with a long list of lots of goodies from several designers, I am impressed! I just can't seem to do that and is why I count on our designers color talents to guide me through a layout that I do.

And, granted, I said I am a clothes hound - I love them, have way too many and consider my shopping events to be a talent (heehee!) probably one would find me most days in my jeans and a favorite t-shirt! I do love my long and colorful skirts that I interchange in the summer with my flip-flops and in the winter with boots, but jeans are my go-to uniform of the day most days!

And I adore consignment shopping! We have lots of great consignment stores here and if I go regularly to just check them out, I can find some great clothes!

i'm so glad you started this thread - I had wondered if anyone else out there was color challenged when it came to collections!

Archived