Can't Minimize Layers In Pse 9?

Melissa13

Hi everyone,

I've just purchase PSE 9. I'm trying to minimize open files so I can access others, but there doesn't seem to be a minimize command in the top right corner of each file. There's only an x on the tab at the top, and that closes the file completely. Is there a new way to do this?

Thanks!

Everything is Tabbed. Drag the file away from the top then you will see you can minimize it. PSE9 used to be able to do this but then they did an update and now it's not so nice anymore. Hope I explained it properly.

it's not as efficient but there's the Project Bin feature below the main window that you can use to navigate between projects. i prefer the tab feature: Windows>Images>Consolidate all to tabs. i can drag a tab down to the main screen, then grab and drag onto my main document (for dragging papers and other elements onto my projects). i was using PaintShopPro X2 and yes, navigating in PSE9 was a little different. good luck and i'm sure others here have their favorite navigation tips.

Thanks both of you, but I'm afraid I still can't make it work. Which tool should I be using? Where should I be grabbing the file?

And the consolidate option is greyed out for me.

Can either of you please explain a little more? Thanks.

Melissa, you might try the "Float all in window" command. Up in the LEFT corner, just to the right of the blue PSE symbol is a little graphic with a down arrow. Click on the down arrow and several options will be available. Choose the Float All In Window. That should give you the X and the minimize button.

One thing I've found in 9 that I don't like is that sometimes when you try to move a file, it loses that frame that has the X and minimize button. It happens if you try to move one file from on top of another and you touch the top or bottom of the work area. I haven't figured out what's up with that yet. But, if I go to the Float All, it puts them all back into their own frame. Does that make sense?

I hope this helps.

Yes, I'm using PSE 9.

How about Cascade under Windows>Images? Is that grayed out also? Do you have some files open? If you don't have any open, those options are grayed out.

Hmmm, I'm not sure why you are not seeing the drop down menu on the left. The File menu is UNDER the PSE symbol on my page. Across the top of the screen is the PSE symbol, the little graphic I mentioned, Sign In, Create New Adobe ID, some space and then on the right Reset Panels, Undo, Redo, Organizer, a little house (which brings up the Welcome screen) and Minimize, Restore and Close X.

Is your workspace fully maximized? Maybe try hitting the Restore Button which should either make the program full screen or make it smaller on the screen (still open though) and then grabbing a corner and pulling it out to fit your screen. If that doesn't do anything, go ahead and maximize it again. I don't seem to be able to make what I'm seeing disappear.

i think you also need to have "allow floating documents in Edit mode" checked. go to Edit>Preferences>General and check that option. see if that helps ;)

Wow, Dianne! That's one I wasn't aware of. Thanks for posting that. I just went in and looked at what I had checked and that one was already checked. That's why I couldn't make it do what Melissa's was doing.

Melissa, do you have what I described across the top of your screen now?

I'm glad that we were able to help.

Also if you look at the top next to the 'Help' you will see a little window with a down arrow. Click on that and it brings up the menu for tabbing or floating. Thats the one I always use. If you move things around in PSE9 and you get to close to the top, watch out for a thick blue line at the top of your work space. If you see that, it means your file is going to 'Tab' and not float.

Another thing to watch for is if you are moving your layers palette or the favorites around and want to dock it again, you will see a thick black line. This indicates the place where that will dock. It's difficult to explain but just play around with it. I am inclined to move my things around because I use two screens and like to see everything.

i think you also need to have "allow floating documents in Edit mode" checked. go to Edit>Preferences>General and check that option. see if that helps ;)

THANK YOU!! I had the same question, but just gave up the cause as one of those sad upgrade/downgrade things. Thanks for asking, Melissa, and thanks Dianne for the tip!!

I use One Note for everything. I copy my favorites in there. Recipes, Book Titles and Authors. I copy the tutorials from the News letters and any tips as well. I have got a section for quotes that I might need. One Note in fantastic.

Archived