Organizing Supplies

misseswojo

I started out using the organizer that came with PSE9 but found it to be to much trouble. I than read Ro's organizing suggestions and just created folders/subfolders on my desktop and started using them. I am curious to know how others are organizing their club collections though. I really don't want to break up the collections but I don't like that I have to click on each folder that has been downloaded to see what is in each of them. So I was hoping others would share how they are organizing. Since I am using Windows Vista, I am going to check out Live Gallery; which was mentioned under the Organizing Topic. I would also love to hear from anyone else using Live Gallery and let me know what you think about it.

Thanks,

I started out using the organizer that came with PSE9 but found it to be to much trouble. I than read Ro's organizing suggestions and just created folders/subfolders on my desktop and started using them. I am curious to know how others are organizing their club collections though. I really don't want to break up the collections but I don't like that I have to click on each folder that has been downloaded to see what is in each of them. So I was hoping others would share how they are organizing. Since I am using Windows Vista, I am going to check out Live Gallery; which was mentioned under the Organizing Topic. I would also love to hear from anyone else using Live Gallery and let me know what you think about it.

Thanks,

I just did a search for Live Gallery and now I am totally confused on how this can be used as an organizer. When I pull up the Windows Live Gallery page, it shows a bunch of different downloads. Is there a certain program that needs to be downloaded from this page in order to organize all of my supplies...and if so, is it just for supplies or also for pictures? Sorry but I just don't understand what I am supposed to do with this.

I keep all of mine together on my EHD. I have a sub-folder system that looks like this:

Scrap Girls

- 2011 Club

-- 09-September 2011 Club - Memory Lane

In that last folder I keep the original unzipped folders (alpha-word art, emb. papers1, etc) I have a similarly named folder for each month's collection, that way they stay in chronological order.

Good question! I too, am always wondering if there is a better way. I will have to check on "Ro's Way". This is what I do:

I have a SCRAP GIRLS Folder // then Sub Folder -- Individual Collections Names. Within the those collection folders I extract ALL the elements and cut & paste them into their "main" individual folder ---- so when I click on a Collection's folder I see Everything at a glance that is included: papers, embellishments, wordart etc... Only exception - I keep Individual Alphas in their own folder.

Second sub folder is labeled with the "Collection's NAME---VIEW". This folder has all the collection's "marketing sheets" icons. So I can easily do a "quick view" and SEE ALL elements in the collection --- which often helps me in my selection process when running through numerous collections for my layouts.

Lastly I have a sub folder is labeled ZIP -- this is where I archive all my original ZIP folders for that collection - after the extraction process.

I hope I was clearer than mud - LOL We be watching this thread --- like I said; always looking for a better way :)

Thanks,

I just did a search for Live Gallery and now I am totally confused on how this can be used as an organizer. When I pull up the Windows Live Gallery page, it shows a bunch of different downloads. Is there a certain program that needs to be downloaded from this page in order to organize all of my supplies...and if so, is it just for supplies or also for pictures? Sorry but I just don't understand what I am supposed to do with this.

Isn't it called Windows Photo Gallery or Picture Gallery? That's what I'm remembering because I thought about trying it at one time.

It is called Photo Gallery, but I don't use it. My own system is:

Birthday Wishes Collection -- then under that I place folders for each type of element:

Alphas

Flowers

Frames

Papers

Ribbons

Samples

Word Art

That's it. I keep all of the zipped files in a separate folder called: SG Zipped Files

I have written about Live Gallery, and like it better than Picasa. That said, I've given up on all of these systems, as I like to move things around. Since PNG files cannot be permanently tagged, it's a waste of effort for me to tag them.

I use Bulk Rename Utility to name files as consistently as I like, very rapidly. I change abbreviations for consistency, so Paper, Ppr, Papr, are all now "Paper." I like have a double set of supplies; one set organized by collection, and one set by material type, e.g. Embellishments, Flowers.

I could give up the collection set if I ran out of space, since Windows 7 searches SO fast, and I make sure the collections are named consistently. For some reason, I occasionally get files where the collection name is spelled out for most files, and then abbreviated for others. Once I use Bulk Rename to make them consistent, searching is easy.

So am I understanding correctly that Picasa and Live Gallery are used to organize photos only?

Carol, I am liking the way you are organizing your club collections. That is basically how I have all my non SG files organized and it works, so I might as well stick with it but just do it for each club.

I have written about Live Gallery, and like it better than Picasa. That said, I've given up on all of these systems, as I like to move things around. Since PNG files cannot be permanently tagged, it's a waste of effort for me to tag them.

I use Bulk Rename Utility to name files as consistently as I like, very rapidly. I change abbreviations for consistency, so Paper, Ppr, Papr, are all now "Paper." I like have a double set of supplies; one set organized by collection, and one set by material type, e.g. Embellishments, Flowers.

I could give up the collection set if I ran out of space, since Windows 7 searches SO fast, and I make sure the collections are named consistently. For some reason, I occasionally get files where the collection name is spelled out for most files, and then abbreviated for others. Once I use Bulk Rename to make them consistent, searching is easy.

Thanks for this. We always get such good advice from you. I love reading your answers.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi everyone, where can I read about Ro's organization system?

Also, why bother keeping zip files once everything's extracted?

You can find Ro's organization system here: 15 Things You NEED to Know to Become a GREAT Digital Scrapbooker (FREE Starter eBook)

I think some people keep a copy of the zip files prior to unzipping sort of as a back-up copy. That way if if the contents are lost somehow, they have another copy to unzip. Does that make sense? Someone else may have some other ideas for you. HTH

I think it is a good idea to keep zipped files of styles and actions. I use PSE and don't use the Mac and PS version. One day if I get Photoshop or a Mac, I will have to go unzip that file again to get the proper file. I put all my zipped files on a EHD.

Okay so I have been trying to organize and I am so busy trying to get a handle on all these files and I am not getting any actually scrapbooking done! Someone should start a service where you have a public link for all of your files, they organize them then hand them all back to you. Or like put all your files in dropbox, they go in and organize all the files on dropbox and then you are good to go and add to it and keep it organized......I am planting a seed here for someone!

Okay so I have been trying to organize and I am so busy trying to get a handle on all these files and I am not getting any actually scrapbooking done! Someone should start a service where you have a public link for all of your files, they organize them then hand them all back to you. Or like put all your files in dropbox, they go in and organize all the files on dropbox and then you are good to go and add to it and keep it organized......I am planting a seed here for someone!

Where do I sign up?

I just finished organizing everything yesterday, took me over a week because after a while my eyes just couldn't take it anymore

First I had to rename a bunch of files, because I was collecting stuff from all over the internet I was having problems keeping track of where it was coming from, so I started a Word document and came up with abbreviations for each website. SG_ for ScrapGirls for instance. Every embellishement name or paper name now starts with SG_ if it came from the ScrapGirls website. (If anyone knows how to make renaming the file easier rather then 1 by 1 I would like that tip!)

Then I broke up my Scrapbooking website in to folders

Embellishments

Paper

Alpha

Photoshop Elements Addons

etc.

Each folder has subfolders

Embellishments

Bow

Border

Frame

in each subfolder it is broken down by colour and each embellishment is filed by colour

it took a long time but I am happy with the outcome!

This is how I organize my files as well. I would like to know if the Bulk Rename Utility is in Windows, PSE or do you purchase it? I spend so much time renaming files, esp photos, I would love to use something like this.

I wish the designers could design actions that would unzip and sort them just the way we want - if only actions worked in real life!

Extract Now is wonderful for unzipping multiple files all at once. I like it because it's really fast and it's free! :)

I'm spending a lot of time reorganizing, too. I didn't know what I was doing when I first started scrapping, and I have so many duplicates and different ways of organization across several EHDs and my pc.

After awhile...it gets scary.

jenrou

Archived