Dummies Vs. Missing Manual

Melissa13

Hi everyone,

I used an older version of PSE a few years ago, but now I'm struggling with the changes in PSE 9. I'm considering buying PSE 9 for Dummies. There's that one, or the PSE 9 for Dummies All-in-One, or another brand- the Missing Manual. Does anyone know if they're all similar or would it be a good idea to buy a couple of them?

Thanks!

I'm not familiar with those books, but have used the pdf that can be downloaded from Adobe. If you click on any of the little arrows, in the top right corner, of any tool palette - like styles, layers, etc - it will take to to the help menu at Adobe. If you look at the top right corner of their page, there should be a pdf link. I think the download for PSE9, was 32 mg - a nice sized document, with lots of information. HTHs :-)

I purchased Digital Scrapbooking for Dummies & Photoshop 9 - The Missing Manual from Amazon and also Photoshop Elements Basics and Beyond from TheDigitalScrapbookTeacher. I read the Digital Scrapbooking for Dummies book and it was really helpful and informative. I am just starting the Photoshop 9 - The Missing Manual. I reviewed all the books available and felt that was the best one to go with in my opinion.

I'm not good at reading things and following instructions. I want videos. I subscribed to Photoshop Elements magazine and received a free DVD with it. That explains every single tool and how to use them, with videos. FABULOUS! I also am doing a Brush course with Scrap Girls at the moment. They are using Webinar so we get to watch Anna actually doing everything. It's wonderful. I hope all the classes will be webinar in the future. Brandy also has some videos on You Tube that you can watch. I find I learn better when I watch. I like to be spoon fed.:disappearing-smilie: By the way, if you have a Kindle, you can get those books that you mentioned on there. I downloaded the samples and they look okay, but as I said, I prefer the videos.

Missing Manual, Missing Manual, Missing Manual! Seriously, I loved it for PSE6 and love the one for PSE9. It's truly helpful. You can also get helpful info from www.photoshopelementsuser.com. Parts of the web site are for subscribers (to the magazizne) only, but there are enough tutorials to see even for non-subscribers.

Ro's videos are perfect for learning how to digital scrapbook. She has one for all the various programs. I had searched and searched various bookstores and websites before I found Scrap Girls, and when I found these I stopped looking! As I upgraded from time to time over the years, Ro's videos answered my questions.

Ro's PSE 9 Video Tutorials

More Secrets Revealed

Missing Manual, Missing Manual, Missing Manual! Seriously, I loved it for PSE6 and love the one for PSE9. It's truly helpful. You can also get helpful info from www.photoshopelementsuser.com. Parts of the web site are for subscribers (to the magazizne) only, but there are enough tutorials to see even for non-subscribers.

Thank you for giving us the name of this web site. I just ordered a subscription to the magazine. I burned the PSE9 Help tutorial to a CD because its about 350 pages or so. I will take it to Staples and have it printed out and put it into my scrapbooking binder.

I want to echo what Amy posted...

After watching Ro's videos from Scrap Girls, I never needed any of the outside books/resources. I do better seeing it demonstrated rather than reading it from a book. I used the videos to learn both PSP and PSE.

Thanks everyone for the tips. I had no idea PSE had a full pdf tutorial document! Very helpful.

Several years ago, I actually purchased Ro's Scrapbook Secret tutorials for PSE 6.0. But I'm getting the impression there are lots of improvements and changes from versions 6 to 9. I see Ro's tutorial now is for PSE 6, 7, 8, and 9. Would it be worth my while to purchase this one? I'm wondering if it would be much different from the 6.0 one from years ago, or if it would include a lot of tips from PSE 9.

Also, back to the Dummies vs. Missing Manual debate... I think I still want to purchase one because I find those books are great for additional tips. It sounds like Missing Manual might be the way to go, from what people are saying on here. But I'm wondering if it has a lot of the same tips as the Dummies book, or if the Dummmies book would be pretty similar.

Thanks!

I bought Ro's videos when I was using PSE 5, and I didn't have any trouble making the jump to PSE 9. The interface might be different, but the basic concepts would be the same. One of the biggest additions to PSE 9 that would not be covered in the earlier videos would be layer masks - they used to be a Photoshop-only tool until PSE 9 started including that ability.

That being said, if you are looking for supplemental material outside of Ro's videos, I would probably go with the Missing Manual. I find that the Dummies books often contain very basic information that I don't need (how to save a file, how to open the program, etc). You can probably find both books on Amazon.com and compare the reviews there.

One book that I got from a friend and really enjoy is Scott Kelby's "Photoshop Elements 5 Book for Digital Scrapbookers." It has lots of great photo editing tips with directions geared toward PSE 5. I'm pretty sure he has the same book for other versions of PSE.

Archived