Book Recomendations

Ande43

The book I finished before the one I'm reading now was excellent! It was "The Daughter She Used to Be" by Rosalind Noonan and was so well written! It was written by the wife of a retired NYPD officer and of course it is all about a cop and his extended family and some of the issues that law enforcement officers and their families go through. I enjoyed it so much - it's a great read!

(I know yall must think that everything I read has something to do with the law and/or cops and to some extent, I suppose it does since my dh is law enforcement and law is of great interest to me. Because of my interests in community service and Rich's career, my book choices are usually real life books or books written around a real life incident that is fiction, but I love unraveling a good crime story. The characters come to life as I read and I am always left in pure wonder of why in the world anyone would want to do something that would put them in prison for the rest of their lives. I don't understand bad deeds and I'm always trying to figure out the "why" of it all. So, yes, I guess most of what I read is law and order type stuff. I've never been one to read fictional romance novels - my life with Rich has been my real romance novel! LOL And what a novel it's been!

My favorite novel of all time is Ahab's Wife by Sena Jeter Naslund. It's a great summer read! Lush prose and a strong female character.

I am also a raving fan of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. If you like historical fiction, mystery, action and a bit of romance, you will love this series. If you decide to start it, PLEASE make sure you get past page 50 of the first book. For some reason it's dry until then, but at page 51 the action starts and you will be hooked! Gorgeously written and well-developed characters.

1344516786[/url]' post='1032182']

My favorite novel of all time is Ahab's Wife by Sena Jeter Naslund. It's a great summer read! Lush prose and a strong female character.

I am also a raving fan of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. If you like historical fiction, mystery, action and a bit of romance, you will love this series. If you decide to start it, PLEASE make sure you get past page 50 of the first book. For some reason it's dry until then, but at page 51 the action starts and you will be hooked! Gorgeously written and well-developed characters.

Thanks for that input. I started the first book some time ago and gave up early on. I'll give it another chance.

I'm reading The Listener by Taylor Caldwell.

"Nobody has time to listen to anyone, not even those who love you and would die for you. Your parents, your children, your friends: they have no time.... Here in a novel of unusual honesty and touching simplicity, Taylor Caldwell has written an inspiring story of how the desperate, the troubled and the unloved find help and inner peace.... The Listener remained concealed...but would reveal himself to those who truly suffered...the rich, the poor, the scoffing, and the faithful...discovered the real source of true happiness...."

I am well into John Grisham's CALICO JOE, and loving it. I am NOT a Grisham fan, but this is a complete departure. It's baseball history,and it brings back names and events that I remember.

My Husband is a die-hard Grisham groupie!

I nearly forgot about Diana Gabaldon. I haven't finished the last book. It's too heavy to hold when I lie in bed =)

I nearly forgot about Diana Gabaldon. I haven't finished the last book. It's too heavy to hold when I lie in bed =)

I LOVE this series so much...but LOL -- you just said the same thing my mom said! I told her to get it on her Kindle! The last book in the series should be out this fall. Can't wait!

1344516786[/url]' post='1032182']

Thanks for that input. I started the first book some time ago and gave up early on. I'll give it another chance.

Oh, do give it another try, Ann -- and let me know how it goes! :)

Another raving fan of the Outlander series! I can't wait until the next book!

There are a few more of us out here who are working our way through the series. I listened to Snow and Ashes in audio format about five years ago -- I won the CDs in a raffle at my Curves club. I was so intrigued by the time travel subplot. I decided to go back to the first book last year and started reading from the start. I told Becca about it and she dove into the series. Now she's ahead of me and on the last book! I'm on Fiery Cross right now. And Becca got Jen Reed into the series, too.

But the thing that gets me is that when I get to the end of the series, I'm going to have to WAIT for the next book! Ugh! The suspense!

OK...I'll give it another go..but only after all the others on my shelf. Do give Calico Joe a try, especially if you have any love for baseball. This is the kind of book that Grisham should be writing instead of his trite lawyer stuff.

There are a few more of us out here who are working our way through the series. I listened to Snow and Ashes in audio format about five years ago -- I won the CDs in a raffle at my Curves club. I was so intrigued by the time travel subplot. I decided to go back to the first book last year and started reading from the start. I told Becca about it and she dove into the series. Now she's ahead of me and on the last book! I'm on Fiery Cross right now. And Becca got Jen Reed into the series, too.

But the thing that gets me is that when I get to the end of the series, I'm going to have to WAIT for the next book! Ugh! The suspense!

Sounds like the perfect time for me to start a series.... just before the last book comes out. :D

Oh, I am glad I'm not alone in my obsession!!!! :cheeringdog: Waiting for the story to unfold (and then *sob* to eventually end) is the hardest part. Does anyone have The Outlandish Companion? There is a "methadone list" of books recommended by Diana to hold us over while waiting for her next book. One book that I really liked is called "The Winter Sea" by Susanna Kearsley.

• 3 weeks later...

I just recently reread Jane Austen in Scarsdale by Paula Marantz Cohen. It's very loosely based on Jane Austen's Persuasion. I've never, I'm sorry to say, read Jane Austen's book, so I can't say how similar they are, but this one seems a little faster paced than the ones I have read. I loved the writing, too - so smooth and rich. It's about a guidance counselor & the bits about the parents getting their children into college are really funny. There's also sub-plots about her & her family and, of course, a romance going on with a young man her family had been totally against many years ago (very Jane Austenish). I'm so glad I found it again. I'm going back to check out another one by the same author Jane Austen in Boca.

• 1 month later...

I have a couple of recommendations for you book lovers:)

1. Defending Jacob by William Landay. If you like courtroom drama and family drama, you'll like this book. It's about an Asst. District Atty. in a small affluent town, whose teenage son is the prime murder suspect of the boy's schoolmate. You won't be able to put this book down!

2. Before I go to Sleep by S.J. Watson. It's about a woman who has lost her memory. She can only remember things that happened on that day, then we she wakes up next day, she has no memory of the previous day. So she has to keep a journal that she reads every morning when she wakes up to re-learn who she is etc..

I'm currently reading "Where We Belong" by Emily Griffin. I had a hard time getting into the book but after about 5 chapters, I was hooked! It's a wonderful story so far and I would definitely recommend it to go on other's reading lists. I'm trying to savor it and not read it so quickly as I usually do when I get into a book - I tend to just have to see what happens in the next chapter and can't put the book down until I'm finished so trying to make this one last a bit longer. :)

Read this book upon reading your recommendation. Loved it!! And my mom loves it too!

This summer I read The Language of Flowers on my Kindle. Excellent book - probably my favorite all year!

I have this book but haven't started reading it yet. Will get started on it!

I'll second that one - my book group read it and I liked it very much.

I have a couple of recommendations for you book lovers:)

1. Defending Jacob by William Landay. If you like courtroom drama and family drama, you'll like this book. It's about an Asst. District Atty. in a small affluent town, whose teenage son is the prime murder suspect of the boy's schoolmate. You won't be able to put this book down!

2. Before I go to Sleep by S.J. Watson. It's about a woman who has lost her memory. She can only remember things that happened on that day, then we she wakes up next day, she has no memory of the previous day. So she has to keep a journal that she reads every morning when she wakes up to re-learn who she is etc..

#2 - OMGosh, I LOVED that book - it came to me by mistake at our Bookmobile library - was supposed to be a "hold" for someone else. DH didn't know and brought it home with our other holds. It looked intriguing so I basically read it in 24 hours and then got it back to the library so the person who wanted it to begin with could have it. lol

Oh, I am glad I'm not alone in my obsession!!!! :cheeringdog: Waiting for the story to unfold (and then *sob* to eventually end) is the hardest part. Does anyone have The Outlandish Companion? There is a "methadone list" of books recommended by Diana to hold us over while waiting for her next book. One book that I really liked is called "The Winter Sea" by Susanna Kearsley.

I have read The Outlandish Companion but I'm not sure if I read anything off the list. Hm...The Companion is the only book of hers I've only read once, lol. Perhaps I shall skim it again...

Did you read The Scottish Prisoner? Can't remember if any of us have mentioned it here.

I LOVE this series so much...but LOL -- you just said the same thing my mom said! I told her to get it on her Kindle! The last book in the series should be out this fall. Can't wait!

LOL - isn't that the truth!? That series is almost the only things I have actually purchased for my Kindle. I really wish I could purchase the Ken Follett books I like, as they are also very much too large to hold while reading, anywhere, not just in bed;) But his are about $20 apiece last I checked, for the kindle. *sigh* If I'm going to spend that much I want them in hardback!

I have read The Outlandish Companion but I'm not sure if I read anything off the list. Hm...The Companion is the only book of hers I've only read once, lol. Perhaps I shall skim it again...

Did you read The Scottish Prisoner? Can't remember if any of us have mentioned it here.

Loved The Scottish Prisoner -- and I've read the other Lord John books, but this most recent one was my favorite.

• 6 months later...

The first page didn't include Diana Gabaldon's series and I knew, just knew someone was going to recommend it. Truly remarkable. I've never read such touching language. It's not one for people that hate tragedies. She doesn't spare us from intimacy on much anything. OMG. For those that haven't read it, there are partial chapters on the internet. Not to mention a very popular forum.

Am I the only one here that got obsessed with Lord of the Rings as a kid? Before the movies. It had multiple forums, perhaps 2 dozen at one time. Professor Tolkien of Oxford wrote the prose in such a poetic way that my writing became much like his and my papers were nearly always read aloud to the class with comments written on the side saying, "this is a poem, you know?" I give all the credit to him. I think it wrong to be considered among the many paperbacks about wizards and dragons. If not for him, I don't think there would be all these cheap fantasy books that pre-teens snatch up.

Now that I think of it, I'll look up forums on some writers to find out what's with the popularity of Nora Roberts, etc.

But I'll mention here a book I loved as a young adult, one that was life-changing in a good way. The Proud Breed by Celeste DeBlasis. It doesn't hurt that it's in my neighborhood of central coast California.

• 2 months later...

Hmmm, The Book Thief sounds intriguing, I'll have to look it up. Currently I am making my way through the Nero Wolfe series by Rex Stout and Robert Goldsborough. I love a good mystery!

Kari

• 1 month later...

Haven't read this whole thread, so this may be a repeat (sorry in advance). Can't say enough about Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys. (this is NOT "that" Shades of grey book). It's quite an amazing story (based on real life events from of the author's family member) of WWII work camp. It's a young adult book and a pretty easy read, though the content is difficult at times, as you might expect. WONDERFUL! I had a hard time putting it down (and I'm not an avid reader unfortunately). Can't wait for our girls to be old enough to read it.

Archived