Beginner In Pse9

mbechtloff

I just installed PSE9 (trial version) and I'm already lost. (i'm on a mac)

I bought the secrets dvds and i've watched them all, but when I start I'm already stumped. On the tutorials, Rozanne already has the program opened and there are several items already open (as visible in the project bid, but they also show up above that in the work space and she is able to move them around. i opened up 3 items but i can only see 1 at a time and they fill up the whole workspace up there. i've tried to figure out how to change it so they go smaller, but how do I do that? there is a button at the top where you can see more than one, but everything is locked in place. help!

Did you make sure you started with the very first movie? The most common error is that people don't start at the very beginning.

The first movie teaches this:

How to unzip files

How to open files in Photoshop Elements

The second movie teaches this:

Creating New Documents in Photoshop Elements (You’ll learn all about the different elements of creating a new document and what each means.)

Saving the document as a layered PSD file (You’ll learn what a PSD file is in the process.)

The third movie teaches this:

What the Photo Bin is and how you use it.

What the Layers Palette is and why it will be important to you as you create your layouts.

What the Move Tool is and how you use it to move your supplies onto your new document. This is one of the most important things you will learn to do because making layouts consists largely of sliding supplies from place to place.

How to hold the Shift key down as you drag-and-drop supplies into your layout document and why it will make your scrapbooking life easier.

How to name the layers in the Layers Palette to help keep things straight.

Also, there is a tutorial that teaches how to use them. I gave the link to you in an email that came out with your purchase, but maybe you didn't see it.

http://www.scrapgirls.com/blog/movie-tutorials/the-proven-path-to-becoming-a-great-digital-scrapbooker/

One more thing: If you will watch the movie that is named 32_Just_for_PSE_8_users, you'll find a thorough discussion about how the files are displayed and how to handle them (getting more open than one, etc.) Adobe changed how this works in PSE 8. It will really help you with that issue.

I think I better rename that movie because those changes affect PSE 9 users, too!

Hope that helps!

yes i did ALL the videos

the video for PS8 talks about minimizing the files, etc, but i just don't have that option. there is no button to click to minimize. also it talks about changing some of the preferences, but when i go to edit, i don't have 'preference' option below the preset manager.

also when i click arrange ... the float all in windows isn't highlighted and i therefore can't use it.

also it talks about changing some of the preferences, but when i go to edit, i don't have 'preference' option below the preset manager.

also when i click arrange ... the float all in windows isn't highlighted and i therefore can't use it.

You may need to have a document opened in your workspace first - even if it is a blank document. Try that and see if some the the options you need become available. HTH

You know what? I just checked it out and no matter what mode I am in or if I have a file open or not, I can still get to the preferences menu, but following this path: File>Preferences>General. Then put a check in the Allow Floating Documents in Full Edit Mode option. Hit the OK button to confirm.

But one thing to make sure of: You need to be using the Full Edit mode. (Look at the top right-hand side of the window and you'll see it.) If you are using another mode (like Quick or Guided), PSE won't allow you to pull the document off of the back. It sticks back there, as you've described. But if you have changed the Preferences to allow for floating documents, you can then grab the top of the document and pull it away from the back of the software. It will then show up as a regular document and will have the minimize button on it.

If you can't even get to the General Tab in the Preferences (under the Edit menu item), it makes me wonder if something has gone wrong with your installation of PSE. I've been working with another girl this week - she was having issues when she tried to move her files from one document to another one. We tried everything to get it to work for her. I did tons of research, trying to figure it out. Finally, she re-installed PSE and bang, the problem was fixed!

Let us know if these things help you, okay? We'll keep trying until you get it going!

PSE 9 did an upgrade and messed things up as far as I'm concerned. Everything Tabs all the time and you can't minimize even if you have checked the 'Float in Windows' box. What you do is look where the name of the photo is in your workspace, click on that and drag it down. Then you will be able to minimize. You will have to do this all the time. Before the upgrade, everything would 'Float' if you chose that option. Now it does not do it anymore. As far as I am concernded, this just adds an extra step. I hope you understand what I am saying. If you don't, just PM your e-mail address to me and I will try to explain it properly. Don't re-install. It's nothing that is wrong.

i re-installed the program and it seems to be better. there are a few more buttons and options that have shown up this time around, so i don't think it did it properly last time. i'll have to try it out and see if everything is working ok, but at least the buttons people have been talking about are there now.

Archived