Switching Files To A New Computer

teecee

I'll soon be getting a new computer and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on the easiest way to move all my files, applications, etc from my old pc to my new one. I'm not concerned about my PSE because I know I can de-activate, uninstall and then re-install to my new computer. It's all the other things like my photos, layouts, documents, etc. (I'll also be changing from Windows XP to Windows 7) I've been on a lot of different sites reading all about how to transfer files and the more I read the more confused I get. (I'm not very tech savvy)

I read about two different file transfer options: Zinstall and Laplink PC Mover and according to the basic instructions for Laplink PC Mover it looks like it would be a total nightmare for me to try to use. Has anyone ever tried either of these and if so, are they worth trying?

It's been so long since I switched computers I can't even remember how I did it the last time (over 5 years ago)

Does anyone know if the "free" set-up and tech support that comes along with the computer includes switching things from the old to the new? Maybe I should just think about hiring someone?

Any help would be much much much appreciated. TIA! :)

My advice? Don't ever "move" anything. Always "copy" things, then go back and delete originals once you're absolutely sure the files are in their new location and are intact. Any sort of blip in mid-'move' could compromise your data and you could lose it.

I also vote for the EHD. After I had to install a new internal hard drive last September I've kept 90% of my files on my EHD. ALL my scrapping files are on the EHD.

Theresa,

Each time I have bought a new computer, I always have the tech guy from the Apple Store transfer EVERYTHING I want onto the new computer. They have everything they need with which to do it and I've never been disappointed or lost anything by doing it that way. I've never been charged anything extra for it so far. I don't know about PC's but the Apple guys are great with that kind of thing.

HTH

On your documents, pictures and files, copying them is the right thing to do, but use an EHD. Windows 7 puts things in very slightly different locations, and it's not really ideal to replicate the XP structure one for one.

On programs, reinstall cleanly. To the extent you can download rather than install a five year old CD and patch/update, you'll have cleaner installations. The CD and patch is still cleaner than the old tiny patch/tiny patch/tiny patch it went through over the last five years. Also, your Windows 7 computer is likely to be a 64 bit machine. It will still install 32 bit programs, in a separate location, but some programs will go on as 64 bit.

And for programs you don't use so much, leave their installation downloads in a folder you create "To Install." You may decide to skip some, and that will also leave you with a cleaner and more up to date computer. I know it sounds like work, but it won't take forever, and you'll be happier with the computer.

And for programs you don't use so much, leave their installation downloads in a folder you create "To Install." You may decide to skip some, and that will also leave you with a cleaner and more up to date computer. I know it sounds like work, but it won't take forever, and you'll be happier with the computer.

Great advice! Some years ago I began doing this, too. I created a folder that I named "zipped install files". All my d/l programs go there and if I ever need to reinstall something I know where the file is!

Archived