Printable vs. Digital

Guest Yo,Viv Babe!

Guest Yo,Viv Babe!
If you can use your papers here for both, why do I see printable selections and digital selections? If I want to do both, do I need two versions of the paper? I see that there are two versions of some of the papers.

Thanks,
Vivian

Digital vs Printable has nothing to do with paper, but with the way we designers format the two different sets.

A Digital set has papers in jpeg format, because it's the smallest file size, and then the embellishments, alphas and words are in a .png file format. That means that the area surrounding the tags and alphabet, etc. is transparent, so that when you open it in your software program, it's easier to cut apart electronically. We digital designers like that!

A Printable set has papers in the jpeg format, too. But the embellishments, alphas and words are on a white background, and also in a jpeg format. Most newbies understand jpegs better than pngs. The goal here is print out on your favorite paper, then cut them out with scissors, etc.

Now, you could print out the png files in the digital sets and cut them out, just like with the jpeg files, if you want to. What you see as transparent will be white on a white sheet of paper. (It will be transparent on acetate or vellum.)

So buy the set you prefer for the way you like to scrap, digitally or traditionally (printable).

If you decide to print out your completed digital design, then paper enters into the picture....I LOVE Epson Matte Heavyweight, but would not use it for say, printing candy wrappers, or using the paper designs for wrapping paper. I also use Epson Ink Jet Paper, especially since I have it in 13x19 for when I want large! (The Heavyweight doesn't come in that size---yet!)

Does that help?

Guest gauchogirl
I'll add one thing to V's answer:
Some printers get confused when printing PNG files and random areas that SHOULD be transparent aren't, they print as blocky, and black, or show part of the background texture. If you want to use your kit both digitally and printable, buy the digital kit, but FLATTEN a copy of the PNG file before sending it to print. If flatten isn't an option in your program, just save it as a JPG and print that file. Now you have one kit that serves two purposes!
tonya

Tonya and Valerie, thank you so much for those explanations. I was trying to add one of the alphabets, once, to one of the tags from the embellishments. Tonya, I think it was from your Adore set. My DH helped me, and he knew to flatten the image, but he was wondering why you hadn't made the background transparent! This explains it! Now I know that I may need to get the digital sets instead of the printable sets.

Hmmmm....Tonya and I must build our stuff a little differently. She's a pro at Photoshop, though and I am just lumping along.

Would be nice to have you test stuff, Jan. I have no idea if my alpha files do that or if they need flattening.

I now check my png files in Windows to see if that black happens. If it does, then I save it for the web but at 300dpi. Seems to solve the problem.

So much to learn, always.

Guest gauchogirl
It's just something I found out because I printed out one of my kits. Now I haven't tried printing on an inkjet yet. I have a color ps laser printer at work and it gets confused on the transparency in the PNG, even though it looks fine on screen. Also, it may make a difference where I print from. (out of PS or out of another program.) I haven't tested it beyond just noticing it happens sometimes). It is easier to make digital printable than printable digital, so if you only want to keep one kit around, I'd go digital.
t

Guest Yo,Viv Babe!
Thank you very much! I THINK I get it. I am going to have to read your comments through again. I think what you are all saying is that I can order whatever paper I want and use it for both. The issue comes when printing it. Right?

I've been testing programs to print from and (gasp) I do all my work on a PC, while my beautiful Mac and Wacom Tablet gather dust. Most programs work fine, but some low end programs don't like pngs: Scrapbook Factory Deluxe and Hallmark and Print Artist, if memory serves----it's that, or it's a shadow issue (as in I can't add drop shadows). But Microsoft Word works!

Anyway, the black shows up on the PC in the background of a png if the file isn't correct. I view everything in "Filmstrip" mode. If a png shows up there with a black background, it'll cause problems.

So, Viv Babe! Order any paper you want. If you ever want to scrap digitally, then buy the digital sets---they are printable as well.

Guest Yo,Viv Babe!
I use a PC also and Microsoft Word and Adobe Photoshop Elements. I use an Epson 1280 Printer and Epson 3170 Scanner. And a Nikon 8700 Digital Camera. I am thinking about replacing the 1280 since it doesn't print full 12x12. Or at least I can't get it to. I bought it because of the wide format but I don't think it will do borderless 12x12. Any advice?

Guest shirleyg
I pm'd you about this, too, Viv, but thought I'd answer it here as well! Unfortunately there isn't a printer (at least Epson) that will print a borderless 12x12 right now. It's a function of the printer itself. We've been asking for that function and hopefully we'll get it in a new printer sometime in 2005, but it's not something that any of the older printers will ever be able to do.

However...now that we have the new TRUE 12x12 paper on the market (you'll notice it because it's in new, very colorful packaging instead of the plain white box) you can print up to 1/8" on all 4 sides and then trim it to get a "borderless" effect.

Hope this helps!

I print a full 12x12 on my 1280 by using 13x19 paper and trimming----that's when I adhere it to a heavier paper with spray glue. There is archival spray glue and heavy paper.

But if you just want 12x12 to scrap traditionally, just print and trim, or set up your main page size as 13 x19, import the 12x12 paper and take advantage of the extra space and print out tags and other stuff in the space leftover.

Hey Shirley: from my keyboard to your monitor: any chance of getting heavyweight matte paper in 13x19?????

Guest shirleyg
Hey Val! It never hurts to ask -- I'll email my Epson buddies to see what they would recommend...and also to request that size!

Happy New Year!

--Shirley

Guest JenniaHart
Ro and I have the Canon i9100 and we are able to get it to print borderless 12 x 12 with it. The Canon also takes papers up to 13 x 19 and I've found that with some programs you sort of have to trick the program into doing the borderless 12 x 12. Sometimes I end up with the print program unsetting the borderless option and then Ro asks me why I don't just use her instructions on printing from Word and stop mucking around with other programs to print from!!!

Between Ro's instructions on how to set up word, and Valerie's paper idea using the 13x19, I've been able to print borderless on my Epson 1270. Since I also use plain cardstock for the foundation of my pages, I don't usually worry about the weight of the paper. The only thing I do worry about is whether the Epson Photo Quality Ink Jet paper is archival or not. Shirley, do you know?

I have to thank everyone for all the information in this thread! Thank you so much! I'm going to start using the digital collections from now on!

[quote]Varanda,
That is a great idea! What type of 13x19 paper do you recommend?[/quote]

Epson (duh!) Photo Quality Ink Jet Paper 13x19 AKA Super B or Super A3 (dunno why)

[quote]Hey Val! It never hurts to ask -- I'll email my Epson buddies to see what they would recommend...and also to request that size![/quote]

Hooray, been looking for something so my crafts can get BIGGER!

Guest Yo,Viv Babe!
Well, I feel really stupid! I bought Scrapbook Secrets Revealed and Ro has a PERFECT tutorial in there on how to print 12x12 using any printer! Thanks, RO!!! If you haven't purchased her Scrapbook Secrets, I highly recommend it!

Vivian

• 3 weeks later...
I have been going to add for quite awhile now that I tested my Word setting set up with the Epson 2200 they sent to me for testing purposes. I can get a near edge-to-edge print with it. Two sides are edgeless and two sides have a tiny sliver of white.

TRY the Word doc set up. It really works!

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone use Adobe Illustrator and can you even USE Illustrator? I have that program since I illustrated a book once. I haven't installed it on my new computer yet. I also have Photoshop Elements 2. My husband got me Scrapbook Factory Deluxe for Christmas. That is a fun, cute program that I have used mostly for creating background paper...I have ONE scrapbook page that is digital with a few elements attached which I'll have to scan to show you.

This digital stuff intriques me but I already spend soooo much time at the computer...I enjoy the down time by scrapbooking with paper...you know what I mean? But I'm always willing to try.

If anyone has any input on those three programs, I'd love to hear them! Thanks!

Guest gauchogirl
I have and use illustrator for illustration and graphic design, and while I think you COULD do SB in it, it might limit your options somewhat. Rasterize everything so you could use filters and it just might work for you!
t

Guest shirleyg
Hey ladies -- guess what Epson announced at CHA??!! A NEW pigment ink printer that prints BORDERLESS 12x12! No need to do anything but check the little box in the printer driver that says "borderless"!! It's the R1800 and will sell for $549 -- should be in the stores by the end of March.

The 1280 inks ARE archivable...they just aren't AS archivable as the 2200 or R1800 inks. The 1280 inks are dye-based. BUT if you're printing on our 12x12 scrapbook paper, the 1280 inks last just as long as the 2200!

Wxchic,

I started digital scrapbooking with Photoshop Elements 2.0. It's a very nice way in.

Illustrator is a great drawing tool and once you are good at Elements, there are actually some tricks you can use by moving things you draw from Illustrator to Elements.

Warning! Warning!

Can get addicting.

Ro

Archived