Midwest Meet Up-April 27-29 2012

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you, Cheri and Conda! I just needed kind of a ballpark to see if there was anyway at all I could justify making plans for this meet - I'd so love to come and meet everyone - I've wanted to come to one for a long time, but I thought it was just cost-prohibitive for me - doesn't sound too bad really with things all divided out among everyone -

..........but then there's the plane ticket! I'm working on checking on it all.

I really appreciate you all letting me know.

I pulled the trigger this morning! Our hotel is set. It is:

Hampton Inn & Suites

1212 Cuming Street

Omaha, NE

(402) 345-5500

Room rate $89 per night. You can call to reserve your rooms at any time. Just mention Scrap Girls.

Reservations

The hotel is only 4 years old. The meeting room is about the same size as the one we had last weekend. Lovely guest rooms.

We got lucky with the date we chose. Our weekend is between two large events happening in Omaha.

I can't tell you how excited I am to bring our meet-up to Omaha! Now, I just have to figure out which of many sites we'll pick for our photo walk. The world-class zoo is one possibility but admission is $13.50 a person. There are lots of free places we can go too.

Pssst.... Cheri..... they have a Charming Charlie in Omaha ;)

But I won't have my friend Cindy to twist my arm and drive me there;)

I can do that, Cheri. ;)

Thanks for mentioning that, Tiza. I was wondering. I just looked it up. There are two locations actually. One is in a shopping center like Zona Rosa called Shadow Lake Towne Center. The other is in the plaza where a Michael's is so I'll have to go check it out tomorrow.

Yes, airfare is expensive. But for me, the biggest expense is that I always leave meetups with software/camera/laptop envy and want to buy myself new "toys" to keep up with everyone else!!

Isn't this the truth??

So far, the cheapest flight I can find is $386 - wowsers!

Actually, that doesn't sound too bad, Sara, coming from N.C., but keep your eyes on it for awhile. We've got some time. I haven't looked at airline flights for awhile so I have no idea what reasonable is these days. I just asked my hubby what we paid for our tickets to Virginia this fall and he said about $360. Those were bought in February though, for a September trip.

So, Theresa, what did you decide you need to buy yourself after this trip? ;)

Actually, that doesn't sound too bad, Sara, coming from N.C., but keep your eyes on it for awhile. We've got some time. I haven't looked at airline flights for awhile so I have no idea what reasonable is these days. I just asked my hubby what we paid for our tickets to Virginia this fall and he said about $360. Those were bought in February though, for a September trip.

I think she was looking at that camera that Sandi had. LOL

As for flights another option is looking at flying to Kansas City and riding up with Conda and I. I don't know that it's any cheaper then flying into Omaha..plus it adds about a 3 hour drive to it...but there is that option if needed.

As for flights another option is looking at flying to Kansas City and riding up with Conda and I. I don't know that it's any cheaper then flying into Omaha..plus it adds about a 3 hour drive to it...but there is that option if needed.

Exactly! I want Sandi's camera :) I've already been researching both of the ones she recommended, and one of them will end up as my Christmas/birthday present to myself ;)

I haven't even started pricing airfare yet. It's a little too far in advance to get the good deals. But I know there are more flights daily going from St. Louis to KC than there are to Omaha, so I might hitch a ride with the two of you if that is an option :)

Good thought Angie. It might be cheaper to fly in to K.C. since it's a bigger airport than Omaha.

Exactly! I want Sandi's camera :) I've already been researching both of the ones she recommended, and one of them will end up as my Christmas/birthday present to myself ;)

I haven't even started pricing airfare yet. It's a little too far in advance to get the good deals. But I know there are more flights daily going from St. Louis to KC than there are to Omaha, so I might hitch a ride with the two of you if that is an option :)

Too early to book flights...watch for specials. I usually get the best prices when I book about 2-3 months in advance. You can sign up for fare watch on a lot of airlines and travel sites so if there's a special you'll get email notifications. Its always a little higher going into the smaller airports like Omaha, usually an extra short commuter-type connection, but it is convenient. Flying into KC and driving up with Conda/Angie is an option. I'm thinking of doing a roadtrip out and may go to KC first and then up to Omaha, but then would head up to Sioux City and not returning to KC.

Tiza, I'd really recommend going with the S95 if you want all the bells and whistles, like shooting RAW and JPG, being able to shoot in manual mode and really good video. But, the 300 HS is great if you really want a little itty bitty pocket camera. You have a good camera already, so if the pocket size one is the way you want to go, go for the elph.

Good thought Angie. It might be cheaper to fly in to K.C. since it's a bigger airport than Omaha.

Looking at airfare briefly.... prices are the same for me going to either airport, but there are 5 flights into KC, and only 3 into OMA

....and I can't tell you how many times my fingers keep trying to enter the airport code as "OMG" instead of "OMA." :giggle_bear: Sorry, Omaha!

No, it isn't tooooooo bad, Pat, but I know it's early yet and I'll keep watching for better prices - that's just alot for us out of pocket right now (or then) I can swing all the hotel, meals, etc - it's just getting there that's going to be expensive for me. DH is really talking about driving and "letting me out" there! Hmmmmmmmmm wonder what he thinks he's going to do while I'm with my SG friends? He's a sweetie though and I'm sure we'll figure out some way to get me there - if we drive we could make a mini vacay on either side of the meet is what he's thinking - alot depends on his work schedule and how much time he can take off too.

We shall see as time draws closer............................

LOL - oh no, I'll never be able to avoid the jewelry store now!

I think I want to call the hotel tonight - already super excited! Maybe one of these days I'll figure out the ticker thingie and get my own countdown:)

There's an app for that!! :disappearing-smilie:

I think I want to call the hotel tonight - already super excited! Maybe one of these days I'll figure out the ticker thingie and get my own countdown:)

Jewelry store? Jewelry store? Oh, no - between that and techie goodies (like Tiza's wants) I'm in for big trouble if I can swing this!

I want a new camera too and I can't pass up jewelry stores! Sigh!

Jewelry store? Jewelry store? Oh, no - between that and techie goodies (like Tiza's wants) I'm in for big trouble if I can swing this!

Yeah...and then there is the person who showed up with a brand spankin' new laptop AND CS5....

Cheri, I will twist your arm to go back to Charming Charlie!! I love that store! I'm very excited to go to Omaha, especially since we almost moved there. But, I'll have to see. Dh said he would come home and watch the girls, but since he hasn't even started the job yet, it's hard to say.

And I'd love to see the zoo....

Yeah...and then there is the person who showed up with a brand spankin' new laptop AND CS5....

Groan! Well, I already have CS5 - but I could always use a brand spankin' new laptop! hahahahaha!

....and I can't tell you how many times my fingers keep trying to enter the airport code as "OMG" instead of "OMA." :giggle_bear: Sorry, Omaha!

OMG! That is too funny, Theresa. Made me laugh out loud!!

Archived