Scrap Simple

MirandaZ

Hi everyone,

I am still new here and have recently signed up for ScrapSimple. I have gone through the ScrapSimple handbook and played around with some of the techniques, but I am having a hard time learning how to use the ScrapSimple material.I am not sure what I am supposed to keep after I download the material (for example the Popups, Emboss, Alpha's) and I am not sure how to use them.

I am just confused on what I need to keep and how to use anything.

Miranda, good for you for trying new things, especially at this challenging waiting time for you!

When you download the ScrapSimple Club, you'll save all of the files extracted from the zip files. Everyone saves them differently, but I have two separate folder sets, one for collections, and one for scrapsimple. The (finished) collection that designers are now including with the ScrapSimple club go with my regular collections, since it helps remind me of the SS club materials when i peruse the collections. For the rest, I have folders: Alphas, Embellishments, Papers, Layouts, Styles & Actions, and WordArt in my SS folder. Then I sort the various chunks into the appropriate folder. So, for example, I put the folder containing background blenders masks and brushes went into the Embellishments folder; the Pennants went into the same folder, too.

The PopUp backgrounds are a tossup--they could go into Layouts or Papers. The pennant waving styles went into the Styles & Actions folder, and the Alpha went into the Alphas folder. I'm not sure this organizational structure works for everyone, but it seems to work for me. I encourage you to feel free to rearrange until you find a plan that seems to work for you.

Separately, I keep a CLONED copy of all the materials, and arrange to an entirely different scheme. In this one, the flower pieces are in Materials/Embellishments/Flowers, the rectangles are in "Materials/Embellishments/TagsLabelsJournalling." Word Art about family is all in "Materials/WordArt/FamilyFriends." and so forth. In my separate copy, Materials, I mix both finished collection materials and scrapsimple. So if I know I want hearts, for instance, I can review all of them at once, deciding to use "finished/colored" hearts from a collection or color scrapsimple hearts.

Since the filenames always include the designer and collection/product name, I can quickly navigate from "hearts" to a specific collection that a heart reminded me of.

This takes double the disk space, but works for me, since I do rearrange things. Picasa is great, as are many of the other organizing tools, but PNG files (anything not a rectangular shape,) do not have permanent tagging. This means that I have to move the items INSIDE my organizing tool of choice 100% of the time. I'm not that consistent, so the double set of SG goodies works for me. Hope this helps, or at least gives you some ideas to consider.

Hi Miranda,

Welcome to Scrap Girls - I'm so glad that you're venturing out and trying some new things. The ScrapSimple things are tools that you'll reach for over and over again once you dip your toe in there - I still use them too!! You'll definitely want to watch for tutorials in the newsletter and on the blog, but the best way to get your feet wet is to try the More Scrapbooking Secrets. You can find the Photoshop version here http://store.scrapgirls.com/product/6558 and there are other versions for other software programs. You will learn TONS in this course, and keep referencing it again and again! If you have any other questions, or if I can help you find the version that you need, please don't hesitate to let me know. Ro's a great teacher - you'll love her courses, and it will make the money you're investing in the ScrapSimple Club an even better investment because you'll use your tools over and over!

Hope to see some of your fun experiments soon!! :)

Thank you for all the info; it does help me in the organizing because I have found that I am not quite happy wih how I am organizing things at this point. I did not realize that there was so much to learn...and of course I always want to use the latest and the "coolect" teqniques so I added the scrap simple on with my other monthly scrapgirls subscription.

Miranda, good for you for trying new things, especially at this challenging waiting time for you!

When you download the ScrapSimple Club, you'll save all of the files extracted from the zip files. Everyone saves them differently, but I have two separate folder sets, one for collections, and one for scrapsimple. The (finished) collection that designers are now including with the ScrapSimple club go with my regular collections, since it helps remind me of the SS club materials when i peruse the collections. For the rest, I have folders: Alphas, Embellishments, Papers, Layouts, Styles & Actions, and WordArt in my SS folder. Then I sort the various chunks into the appropriate folder. So, for example, I put the folder containing background blenders masks and brushes went into the Embellishments folder; the Pennants went into the same folder, too.

The PopUp backgrounds are a tossup--they could go into Layouts or Papers. The pennant waving styles went into the Styles & Actions folder, and the Alpha went into the Alphas folder. I'm not sure this organizational structure works for everyone, but it seems to work for me. I encourage you to feel free to rearrange until you find a plan that seems to work for you.

Separately, I keep a CLONED copy of all the materials, and arrange to an entirely different scheme. In this one, the flower pieces are in Materials/Embellishments/Flowers, the rectangles are in "Materials/Embellishments/TagsLabelsJournalling." Word Art about family is all in "Materials/WordArt/FamilyFriends." and so forth. In my separate copy, Materials, I mix both finished collection materials and scrapsimple. So if I know I want hearts, for instance, I can review all of them at once, deciding to use "finished/colored" hearts from a collection or color scrapsimple hearts.

Since the filenames always include the designer and collection/product name, I can quickly navigate from "hearts" to a specific collection that a heart reminded me of.

This takes double the disk space, but works for me, since I do rearrange things. Picasa is great, as are many of the other organizing tools, but PNG files (anything not a rectangular shape,) do not have permanent tagging. This means that I have to move the items INSIDE my organizing tool of choice 100% of the time. I'm not that consistent, so the double set of SG goodies works for me. Hope this helps, or at least gives you some ideas to consider.

Thank you, I have already bought the tutorials but have not made my way through the first set yet. I have so much to learn, but I love the techniques of the scrapsimple stuff. i will definetly make my way through the tutorials.

Hi Miranda,

Welcome to Scrap Girls - I'm so glad that you're venturing out and trying some new things. The ScrapSimple things are tools that you'll reach for over and over again once you dip your toe in there - I still use them too!! You'll definitely want to watch for tutorials in the newsletter and on the blog, but the best way to get your feet wet is to try the More Scrapbooking Secrets. You can find the Photoshop version here http://store.scrapgirls.com/product/6558 and there are other versions for other software programs. You will learn TONS in this course, and keep referencing it again and again! If you have any other questions, or if I can help you find the version that you need, please don't hesitate to let me know. Ro's a great teacher - you'll love her courses, and it will make the money you're investing in the ScrapSimple Club an even better investment because you'll use your tools over and over!

Hope to see some of your fun experiments soon!! :)

Hi Miranda. ScrapSimple products are so addicting! Once you start using them, you'll find tons of things to do with them. Just wanted you to know that there's a ScrapSimple Chat next Monday at 7pm MT in the Chat room. I don't know if you can make it, but there's one every month. Just click the calendar tab at the top of this page and you'll find this month's calendar.

HTH!

Debbie

Archived