Sizing A Layout

Joey

I have just recently gotten interested in digital scrapbooking and have discovered that I really don't know how to use even a quarter of the techniques of PSP. Text is a real struggle. The biggest problem I am having is knowing how to size a layout. I spent the afternoon yesterday making a layout that I wanted to use for a half fold tall card. Was very proud of my efforts, but then couldn't get it to fit on card. Did a resize using 5 x 8 inches (don't have a clue how to use pixels) but image was not anywhere near that size when I inserted it on card. Any help would be appreciated.

I used to use PSP (X2) and found the layout size to be weird too, especially when printing. Did you created it at 300 dpi? One thing I learned with Printshop Elements that you can also do in PSP is increase the canvas size. So I sometimes create a 5x7 card image how I want it, then I increase the canvas size (not image size) to 10x7 (menu path: Image>Canvas size). You can specify in the dialog box where to move your image to (for a 5x7 landscape that becomes 10" high, I move the image to the bottom). You could even create a signature for the back of your card, just turn it upside down. In the print dialog box, make sure you adjust the left and bottom offset to allow some margin for your card.

For some reason, printing in PSP was more difficult and card-making was one reason I switched to PSE but you can make it work. You probably always want to create new layouts (whatever size) at 300 dpi, unless they'll only ever be used for the web. You can always go down from there. I almost always use inches as the dim. unless I'm creating something for the web.

Feel free to PM and if I can help, I certainly will!

Tried to PM. First time. Didn't see this conversation. Didn't know what to do. Boy, am I a newbie!!!!! Thanks for the advice. Glad to know I'm not the only one that can't quite figure PSP out. I will try what you suggested and see if that will work. Since beginning to digital scrapbook and seeing that it seemed to be the program of choice, I downloaded a trial version of PSE10. (I am determined to learn how to do all that neat stuff y'all do!) Have played with it a little bit, but am still so confused with PSP that I wasn't sure if I wanted to rattle my brain any further or not. At least I have a basic working knowledge of PSP. Anyway, thanks again. I'm sure I'll be back. :justthinkingabout it:

Tried to PM. First time. Didn't see this conversation. Didn't know what to do. Boy, am I a newbie!!!!! Thanks for the advice. Glad to know I'm not the only one that can't quite figure PSP out. I will try what you suggested and see if that will work. Since beginning to digital scrapbook and seeing that it seemed to be the program of choice, I downloaded a trial version of PSE10. (I am determined to learn how to do all that neat stuff y'all do!) Have played with it a little bit, but am still so confused with PSP that I wasn't sure if I wanted to rattle my brain any further or not. At least I have a basic working knowledge of PSP. Anyway, thanks again. I'm sure I'll be back. :justthinkingabout it:

I switched from PSP7 to PSE9 and never looked back. Your basic knowledge of PSP will really help you in PSE, believe it or not. Be sure to go through some tutorials for practice, just to help with the learning curve.

Make sure to check out the SG University and be sure to download the free eBook, 15 Things you Need to Know.

Becky gave you some good advice. PSE is a wonderful program, you just need to try to take one step at a time. The best way to learn it is with Scrapbook Software Secrets Revealed: Photoshop Elements - Downloadable version, and remember you can always post questions in the forums if you need extra help. :)

I have been away from my computer, but wanted to thank you for your comments. I have downloaded the 2 booklets, and I have ordered the CD for PSP. I have printed many "Tips From the Pros" hoping to work them in both PSP and PSE. I am curious, though, as to why PSE is the preferred program. Is there something that makes it that much better for scrapbooking?

I can only speak from my knowledge of the older versions of PSP. The older versions didn't handle PNG files, or PSD files and it seems that the majority of all files I buy are in those formats rather than say PSP format. I don't know about the newest versions of PSP however.

I use PSP-X2 and am able to PNG files with no problems. When I have a layered PSD file, it will open in layers, but always gives a message "this format is not supported". I've never lost any options that I've known about when using a PSD file in PSP. I just "Save As" to a PSPImage file and then move forward.

PSP can be a wonderful program. I am very happy with the layouts I have created with it. The only thing that I miss is the occasional style that I see in the Scrapgirls boutique that isn't supposed by PSP.

I've never had a problem with sizing. Just make sure that you choose 300 pixels per inch as your resolution and then choose the size of the image you want to use. Printing can sometimes be a trick if you don't want your image centered on the paper. For example, if you want to print the front panel of a card, you would have to adjust the printing to tell it to print on the far right of the paper.

A lot depends on the version of PSP you are using. If you are using anything earlier than PSP9, I would suggest finding a more recent edition. Before 9, PSP has problems with downsizing images-- they get pixelated very easily and there are many other features that are either missing or just don't cut it.

I highly recommend Ro's secrets for learning the software. She takes you step by step and, all of a sudden, you're making a scrapbook page with very little hair-pulling or gnashing of teeth. I have also found some excellent tutorials on youtube.

Joey-- When you created the 5x8 image for your card, did you try to print directly from PSP or did you import the graphic into another program? I find that when I create images and then drop them into Microsoft Word or Publisher, they don't stay the size I wanted them to be. I think it has to do with the actual number of pixels in the image rather than the size I said it should be, but am not sure. If you are using the images from PSP into another program, you might have to play around in order to find out what works best.

Thank you for your comments. I am working with PSP x3. I have had no problem working with the products at their actual size. However when I attempt to make a layout to use on a card, size it to 5 x 8.5, save as .jpg and then insert into my card program, the image is always very small. Maybe it's a problem with my Greeting Card Factory, but it is definitely a problem. I also have a problem fitting the products into this particular 5 x 8.5 space. I'm wondering now if maybe there are special kits for cardmaking. I'll have to check. Anyway, until I can figure out how to make the layout the proper size I am at a wall.

You might try printing directly from PSP rather than exporting it to Greeting Card Factory. You can create everything you need within the program and print it directly. Otherwise, you might be able to go into the Greeting Card Factory help section and find out exactly how many pixels wide by high you need to create a 8.5X5 card.

Sorry I can't give you more information. I can only tell you that it's very easy to print cards directly from PSP if you are unable to solve the problem in your greeting card software.

Well....duh. I'm wondering why it didn't occur to me to just print the card from PSP. I guess that's why 2 minds are better than 1, especially if 1 of them is not working. Will definitely try making the card directly in PSP. Hang around. You might still be hearing from me. Thanks so much.

Update.....I just printed a perfect card using PSP! I still don't understand the sizing mystery, but, for now, don't care. Thank you so much.

Archived