A Discovery On Scripts

ScrapSandi

Many of you may already know this, but I am so excited, I decided to share what I learned today. I have the rename layer script but when I get wrapped up in scrapping, many times I forget to use it and then I don't remember where I found something. Today I learned how to automate it so that the layer automatically renames itself when I open a new file.

I use Photoshop CS5 on an IMac. If anyone is interested in learning this, please let me know and I will post the procedure.

:2468who-do-we-appreciate:

I'm interested! Thanks in advance for sharing this tip!

I am loving this script being automated. It actually saves a lot time. Following is copied from the help section of Photoshop.

Set scripts and actions to run automatically

You can have an event, such as opening, saving, or exporting a file in Photoshop, trigger a JavaScript or a Photoshop action. Photoshop provides several default events, or you can have any scriptable Photoshop event trigger the script or action. See the Photoshop CS5 Scripting Guide for more information on scriptable events.

Choose File > Scripts > Script Events Manager.

Select Enable Events To Run Scripts/Actions.

From the Photoshop Event menu, choose the event that will trigger the script or action.

Select either Script or Action, and then choose the script or action to run when the event occurs.

Photoshop has several sample scripts you can choose. To run a different script, choose Browse and then navigate to the script. For actions, choose the action set from the first pop-up menu and an action from that set in the second menu. The action must be loaded in the Actions panel to appear in these menus.

Click Add. The event and its associated script or action are listed in the dialog box.

To disable and remove individual events, select the event in the list and click Remove. To disable all events, but keep them in the list, deselect Enable Events To Run Scripts/Actions.

In the photoshop event, I had to choose "everything" to get it to work

I found the script in Photoshop CS5 - presets - scripts.

Hope this helps you. Let me know if you need any help.

:)

I don't use that software, myself, but what an exciting discovery! Anytime you can automate, it's a good idea.

Aggie, you are so right about automating. Finding this has saved me so much time. Before I had to go to file, scripts, rename layer. Now it is done for me. I love it. :dancingelephant:

Archived