Lion

Cropalot

Oh, a new iMac sitting in a box????!!! Ugh. I don't think I could function at all with it just sitting there. Waiting for me to open it. As soon as I read the PDF I have about Taking Control of Lion, I will let you know what I think.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FYI...The Missing Manual for Mac OS X Lion is available, picked up a copy yesterday. I think I'd heard this somewhere before, but it didn't really make sense until I saw it in action, but the purpose of Lion is to make the computer look and behave as closely to an iPad as possible, things like full screen view and gestures and such. When I keep that in mind then it makes much more sense. Says there are 250 new features in Lion, some visible and some not. I'm thinking I may actually spend the time to learn more about it since it really is different. There is online support and training available too. In fact, Apple wants us to use it. Who knows what wondrous things we'll find.

Thank you. I'll get a copy. I'm still old fashioned enough that I like a hard copy anyway.

I hadn't been notified of posts since I'd changed my email address and hadn't notified the forum. I did that tonight. Since I first posted I've found the answers to the finder problem...we checked something in preferences. I've also learned to use the address book. Can't believe I overlooked the scrolling. My biggest problem now is the Actions. My husband said they are for Windows. Does that mean that Mac PSE 10 will not use actions or do I need to get ones from SG that are for Mac? Or could it be that I only need instructions on how to install them on my Mac in PSE 10? A couple examples of my actions are BMU_SSTools_Mega Lift I Squared. atn and RO-SSActions-PopEdges_2201.atn

Now another problem is that all my styles are lumped together without being listed in categories . They were in PSE 8. I am almost positive they are supposed to be in PSE10, but they are not.

I have all my digital scrapbooking files in document folders, by company, then by designers, then collections. That works well, but I have sooo many there is no way to remember what is where. I typically do not stick with one or even two collections while I'm working. Unlike many designers, those at SG name theirs very well, but still miss smaller divisions that I'm able to make with key words in Bridge. I had ASeeDSee with Windows and would highly recommend it. But the new Mac version will not pick up the key words (tags) I have in other programs. Since I did the tags immediately upon downloading items, it would take me years to retag everything.

I've read all that has been said since I first posted and you girls rock. Thanks for all the tips. I'm certainly going to look for the missing manual. It is hard to believe they've made so many changes!

I'm still working on all of this - I have noticed that some of the commands in some of my software changed when I upgraded to Lion - don't know if it's just a coincidence or what but since it involves three different programs, I'm very curious. I don't know how that could happen really, but it did and I just know how it was before I upgraded. My brain is just too full to figure it out!

Waiting for my books to arrive - takes forever to get something from that bookstore in the sky! Wish I had just gone over to Asheville to Barnes and Noble now.

no search problems here. Are you talking specifically in your downloads folder?

Yes, Sandi - it was there before I upgraded and gone right after the upgrade. :) I don't know what to think

The upgrade gives you a full screen view and the menu bar and bookmarks bar are hidden when on web sites, but the search thingy is still there on mine.

Sandi, it's when I have Photoshop or Indesign open and am working on a layout that I go to my downloads folder to look for what I want to use - it shows all of my SG folders, but no search bar and I have to now continually scroll through them to find anything. There was always a search box in my download foloder before and if I wanted Brandy's collections, I typed in BMU, or if I wanted blue flowers, I typed in blue flowers.

Does that make any sense?

Sara, I don't know if this helps. but if you start typing after clicking on the download folder it will go to what you are typing. There will be no search box but it will go to the file you are typing. I just tried it on several. But it won't search sub-folders.

The only other thing I can think of is use spotlight. I just tried it out with "blue flowers and it found some jpgs. when I ran the mouse over them it gave me a preview. it worked for jpg, png and psd files. And the search was fast even with files off my 1T external. you can change the spotlight preference to just show the main types of files you want.

ok, this is cool. I just searched for a font and it gave me a preview. ....um....just testing you know..... :)

Sara, I don't know if this helps. but if you start typing after clicking on the download folder it will go to what you are typing. There will be no search box but it will go to the file you are typing. I just tried it on several. But it won't search sub-folders.

The only other thing I can think of is use spotlight. I just tried it out with "blue flowers and it found some jpgs. when I ran the mouse over them it gave me a preview. it worked for jpg, png and psd files. And the search was fast even with files off my 1T external. you can change the spotlight preference to just show the main types of files you want.

ok, this is cool. I just searched for a font and it gave me a preview. ....um....just testing you know..... :)

Thanks for all of your ideas, Dotted - I will give them a try here in a few minutes - wow! You're fast! Love it! And I appreciate all of the help here.

The upgrade gives you a full screen view and the menu bar and bookmarks bar are hidden when on web sites, but the search thingy is still there on mine.

Sandi, it's when I have Photoshop or Indesign open and am working on a layout that I go to my downloads folder to look for what I want to use - it shows all of my SG folders, but no search bar and I have to now continually scroll through them to find anything. There was always a search box in my download foloder before and if I wanted Brandy's collections, I typed in BMU, or if I wanted blue flowers, I typed in blue flowers.

Actually, no it doesn't make sense. Obviously our machines are set up differently. I have the search bar everywhere still. I wonder if its preferences somewhere. Even when I'm in PS and go to file-.open-.downloads, I get the search bar. One thing to check...go to the apple upper left and click on system preferences. That will bring up the new screen with icons in several categories. in the personal category at the top there is an icon for spotlight. Click that. make sure the box for folders is checked. Since I use spotlight like Dotted does, mostly looking for supplies for scrapping, I have the folders at the top of the list. That puts it the first place Mr. Mac looks for my BMU_BluePaper. Give that a whirl, if it doesn't help we'll look for something else.

Actually, no it doesn't make sense. Obviously our machines are set up differently. I have the search bar everywhere still. I wonder if its preferences somewhere. Even when I'm in PS and go to file-.open-.downloads, I get the search bar. I guess I just don't understand your exact steps. I'll look around some more. I looked in the missing manual and didn't find anything about it yet. I'll keep looking to see if we can get this fixed for you. Oh, yeah, I also move my scrapping stuff out of my downloads file as soon as I can. Actually, I try to get as much out of my downloads file, all kinds of downloads. But it shouldn't matter.

Well, it isn't making alot of sense to me either and I'm having a hard time describing it really - I will go and check all my preferences - going to work on a few ideas in a minute or two - it's not like anything that's ever happened before and I've never had a system upgrade interfere with any of my software, so I am very confused. Usually I can make sense of things...........I appreciate your help very much - And no, it shouldn't matter whether the files are in my download folder or anywhere for that matter - the download folder should have a search bar no matter what and since I do keep alot of things there, I kinda need it! :) :)

Okay, it appears that it is ONLY my download folder that has no search bar - I opened every other folder I could find and they all have the search bar - everything is great except for that download folder and I can't, for the life of me, figure it out.

I'm going to shut it all down and try again later - my brain is fried.

Sara, Could you clarify for me. What download folder are you talking about. Ok, I know there is only one, but do you access it from the finder or from the dock?

Thanks, I'm going to do some digging and see what I can find.

Sara, Could you clarify for me. What download folder are you talking about. Ok, I know there is only one, but do you access it from the finder or from the dock?

Thanks, I'm going to do some digging and see what I can find.

Dotted, it can be accessed from the finder or from the dock - I keep it in my dock - it's the folder where my SG downloads go when I buy them and download them - I have it organized into folders for my scrapping supplies - it just sits on my dock and I used to be able to click on it, it would open, I could either scroll through or type in the search bar to find what I wanted......

I feel like I am not making any sense here and I don't mean to sound confusing - it really has me stumped - I finally had to put it all away and go to bed last night - I've done everything I know how to do at this point. Yikes!

Ok, so this has nothing to do with Lion, but I got frustrated with my problems last night and played around with my IPhone for a couple of minutes - I hadn't really played much with Siri and Rich jokingly said, "Ask it what the weather is like for tomorrow" - so I did, and she said, "It doesn't look good for tomorrow" and gave me the low expected temps! It made me giggle - I thought it would just give me the forecast - had no idea she was funny too! I love it!

:giggle_bear: :giggle_bear: :giggle_bear:

Sara, You are making sense. I just wanted to make sure I understood you clearly. Thanks, it's just what I wanted to know. I gotta run now, but I'll be back on later.

lol, it's good your having fun! I'll have to check that one out.

Sara, I tried.

I have looked up, down and all around. I was hoping to find some fix for you but I can't. I can not find any way of searching a folder that sits in the dock. if you click on "open in finder" from the folder you can search there but there seems to be no search when clicking in the dock folder (other than just searching for top level names and not sub folders).

Now some one with a book or more insight might be able to tell you different.

Sandi, do you have a folder like downloads or documents in your dock bar? If so when you click on it do you have a search option?

Sara, I tried.

I have looked up, down and all around. I was hoping to find some fix for you but I can't. I can not find any way of searching a folder that sits in the dock. if you click on "open in finder" from the folder you can search there but there seems to be no search when clicking in the dock folder (other than just searching for top level names and not sub folders).

Now some one with a book or more insight might be able to tell you different.

Sandi, do you have a folder like downloads or documents in your dock bar? If so when you click on it do you have a search option?

Thank you, Dotted! You've been a real sweetheart to try! It's a real puzzle and I am trying to figure it all out still. When I tell it to open in the finder, for some reason the whole folder closes on me - I am just totally confused - I think I'm going to have to get with Adobe and Apple on this one now - I've spent way too much time on it and I really, really appreciate all of your help! I'll let you know when I figure it out!

Ok, I might have a fix for that. (these notes I copied from another site)

Remove the Downloads Folder from your Dock.

- Click on the Download Folder and immediately drag up, you should see the cursor turn to a cloud, let go and you should see a poof and the Download Folder should be gone.

Now Open your Home Folder

- Click on the Blue Finder Icon at the other end of the Dock.

You should see a Window with Documents, Movies ect.

You should also see a Folder called Downloads

Drag that Downloads Folder down and into the Dock at the same location as the one you just deleted.

This is what I would do if I had that problem.

It's kinda like resetting the folder.

Ok, I might have a fix for that. (these notes I copied from another site)

Remove the Downloads Folder from your Dock.

- Click on the Download Folder and immediately drag up, you should see the cursor turn to a cloud, let go and you should see a poof and the Download Folder should be gone.

Now Open your Home Folder

- Click on the Blue Finder Icon at the other end of the Dock.

You should see a Window with Documents, Movies ect.

You should also see a Folder called Downloads

Drag that Downloads Folder down and into the Dock at the same location as the one you just deleted.

This is what I would do if I had that problem.

It's kinda like resetting the folder.

Is this an "aha" moment or what? Oh, my gosh, of course! Of course! Wow! Thank you, thank you, thank you! It worked! It worked! Yay, Dotted! You rock! :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou::having-a-party:

Well, Praise the Lord!

I'm glad it worked! :2468who-do-we-appreciate:

Well, one less thing to drive ya crazy! :)

I just don't know how to thank you! I'm sitting here doing one of those "cowabunga" things!

Yay! that's great to know. I never put folders in the dock, only apps. I just go to the finder icon and there are all my main folders.I have too many program icons in my dock to add any coders. I keep my desktop cleared off too. I haven't tried it, but am wondering if you could put that folder in launchpad? I haven't found launched to be that helpful, because I already know how to quickly get at everything I need, but if I were just starting with Mac, I think I'd just love it.

The one Advantage I like to having my download folder "in" the dock is that it sorts by "date added" and when set to "fan" I can see a short list and the last few things I downloaded. I also use it for frequently used items. I have a folder with misc. stuff that I'm always into. set to "grid mode". It works pretty slick!

I really thought I'd like the Launchpad but being the app-a-holic that I am It's taken me forever to sort all my apps. plus it added every app I had in my Parallel Windows. I'm still not done. But I think your right. For someone just starting out it is pretty nice.

I've been using a app called Overflow that lets me add what ever file I want to it. I've used it to create groups for files for projects and most frequent used apps. It's in my dock for easy access.

Yeah, I like a clean desktop too. I like to see the pictures I have up. Now I do love Lion for that. I have a different pic for each Desktop. and Different programs open on the different desktops so I don't have a lot going on in one spot. I guess I have had some fun with Lion in this aspect. I even downloaded an animated desktop once just to tease my daughter. She has Win7 on her computer, it is actually better than mine hardware wise, but we tease each-other about which OS is better. lol

sorry if I got chatty. I had 3 cups of coffee today. Which for me was probably too much! :blush:

Archived