Lion

Cropalot

I try to move things out of my download folder pretty quickly, don't keep anything there for longer than I need to, so I rarely work out of that folder. Its really just my temporary "in box". I just downloaded my new goodies, taking advantage of the sale. They'll be out of there and into my scrapping folder before I go to bed. Now they may not all be in the right category in that folder for awhile, but that's the way I do it. That overflow app sounds useful, will have to check it out. I haven't added different backgrounds to the different desktops yet. And I really don't know what to do with dashboard, again, rarely use it except occasionally the calculator and weather. There are so many things to play with and not enough time. Anyway, glad you got Sara's problem resolved.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My downloads folder is the only folder I keep in my dock, Sandi - Mine is full of applications too and I don't think I'd have any other folders there but it's convenient and I like it there for pretty much the same reasons as Dotted just listed.

I've been using a Mac for 22 years now - this is honestly the first time I've really run into something that confused me this much. I think I'm losing my "techie" skills - lol lol. :hit-head-with-hammer: :hit-head-with-hammer:

I was beginning to feel rather silly that I couldn't figure this one out - I appreciate the help!

My downloads folder is the only folder I keep in my dock, Sandi - Mine is full of applications too and I don't think I'd have any other folders there but it's convenient and I like it there for pretty much the same reasons as Dotted just listed.

I've been using a Mac for 22 years now - this is honestly the first time I've really run into something that confused me this much. I think I'm losing my "techie" skills - lol lol. :hit-head-with-hammer: :hit-head-with-hammer:

I was beginning to feel rather silly that I couldn't figure this one out - I appreciate the help!

It seems to me one little thing can hang you up and you just can't for the life of you figure it out, and them when the lightbulb comes on (this time with Dotted's help) you have that big aha! Just glad you got things working ok again. What I hate about some changes is when you can no longer use the same workflow you're used to using and there's no easy work around. Like what happened with you. But the nice thing about Mac OS is there are lots of work arounds, just have to find them. And now that I understand how you and Dotted use your dock, I may try it sometime, though the way I do it is easy enough for me. One thing I did to give me more vertical space to work is move my dock to the left side of my screen. That does give me less space for docking things, but gives me more read estate for scrapping. You gotta remember, I've been working on a 15 laptop and so everything is small to start with. But I thank you for your questions because now I've learned something new as well.

It seems to me one little thing can hang you up and you just can't for the life of you figure it out, and them when the lightbulb comes on (this time with Dotted's help) you have that big aha! Just glad you got things working ok again. What I hate about some changes is when you can no longer use the same workflow you're used to using and there's no easy work around. Like what happened with you. But the nice thing about Mac OS is there are lots of work arounds, just have to find them. And now that I understand how you and Dotted use your dock, I may try it sometime, though the way I do it is easy enough for me. One thing I did to give me more vertical space to work is move my dock to the left side of my screen. That does give me less space for docking things, but gives me more read estate for scrapping. You gotta remember, I've been working on a 15 laptop and so everything is small to start with. But I thank you for your questions because now I've learned something new as well.

You couldn't be more right, Sandi! The workspace we are used to can get confusing when we change systems and I think that's pretty much what's been part of my problem! And even though Macs are super user-friendly and give all kinds of wonderful hints to us along the way, changes bring with them, a learning curve. I actually find myself moving my dock around once in awhile depending on what I'm doing. I'm very used to it being on the bottom of my screen but I have been known to put it on the left oftentimes too. And, yes, the more one adds to the dock, the smaller the icons get and hey, my eyes aren't getting any younger! Of course, after all this time, I can blindly recognize most of my icons (with my reading glasses on! :)) but I remember when I had only my apps in the dock and how easy it was to see everything!

I appreciate so much all of the questions and answers here too - I'm learning as I go along this time too! And now that I'm not so frustrated, rather enjoying learning! Now if I could just find some room in my brain to be creative, I'd be fine - still much to do to make things the way I want them tho'. :) :)

Sandi, I like your organization. It really is a good idea to keep the download box filed or filed away. it's something I need to practice!

One other program I like is Alfred. It is like spotlight but I have it set just for Apps. So between Alfred and Overflow I don't need to have to many Apps in my dock. And I hide my dock.

It's nice that there is so much flexibility to set things up with how one likes to work. So there's no right way just many ways. I love learning from everyone else too. It's been a lot of help.

Sara, your not loosing your techie skills! They don't go that fast. :)

Sandi, I like your organization. It really is a good idea to keep the download box filed or filed away. it's something I need to practice!

One other program I like is Alfred. It is like spotlight but I have it set just for Apps. So between Alfred and Overflow I don't need to have to many Apps in my dock. And I hide my dock.

It's nice that there is so much flexibility to set things up with how one likes to work. So there's no right way just many ways. I love learning from everyone else too. It's been a lot of help.

Sara, your not loosing your techie skills! They don't go that fast. :)

I don't know, Deliegha, I'm feeling awful stoooooopid lately! LOL Thank you so much again - today I'm cleaning house on my desktop and my hard drive - it needs a really good sweeping out and lots of things I can get rid of!

Ok, just got a new app and am loving it. Its Home Inventory with iPhone and iPad update capability. Basically, a great place to file info about your stuff. Perfect for keeping track of warranties, you can scan receipts, and then print up a report for insurance or police needs if you are robbed or you have property damage. You can go through your home, take photos with your iPhone or iPad and file it all away and back it up to the cloud. Just another new toy, but a very practical one and very easy to use. Loving it so far.

I have also cleaned up my dock, just my frequently used apps now, down to 12. forcing myself to use that launchpad. I think I may like it.

Ok, just got a new app and am loving it. Its Home Inventory with iPhone and iPad update capability. Basically, a great place to file info about your stuff. Perfect for keeping track of warranties, you can scan receipts, and then print up a report for insurance or police needs if you are robbed or you have property damage. You can go through your home, take photos with your iPhone or iPad and file it all away and back it up to the cloud. Just another new toy, but a very practical one and very easy to use. Loving it so far.

I have also cleaned up my dock, just my frequently used apps now, down to 12. forcing myself to use that launchpad. I think I may like it.

Ooooh! Home Inventory, huh! I like that! Rich has been after me for the longest time to do this and now there's an app!

Thanks, Sandy! I'm assuming you got it from ITunes?

Thanks for the reminder Sandi I was looking at that home inventory. I really need that too! I know many missionaries who have had their house robbed. So I should really get my inventory together. We have good insurance just need a good inventory to make it work!

I had two new external hard drives die on me just while I was in the middle of my computer cleaning! Now I've got such a mess to clean up. That and I'm still getting the house cleaned and dejunked after being away for 11 months. sigh..... will it ever end!?!?!?! lol!

Thanks for the reminder Sandi I was looking at that home inventory. I really need that too! I know many missionaries who have had their house robbed. So I should really get my inventory together. We have good insurance just need a good inventory to make it work!

I had two new external hard drives die on me just while I was in the middle of my computer cleaning! Now I've got such a mess to clean up. That and I'm still getting the house cleaned and dejunked after being away for 11 months. sigh..... will it ever end!?!?!?! lol!

The answer here is, no, it never ends. LOL. Good luck with the clean up, both the house and the computer. I've had EHD failure before, always because of its back up software...usually first thing I do is reformat and just use it as manual copy backup. I do back up to time capsule, that seems to go smoothly, but regular EHDs, no, just copy and paste. Besides photos and scrapping, not much else changes that much.

Wow! I was away from this thread for a couple of days and there were lots of replies. I thought I'd put in my two cents worth.

My Dock is on the left and it's hidden. Works for me. I have a pretty tidy desktop-don't like a lot of clutter (true of my house too). I have an external drive that my digi stuff is stored on because for more months than I like to admit to, I haven't done any scrapping and I am very weird about keeping my hard drive lean and mean! So I have it stored on an EHD and when I find some time and the creativity spark hits me, I can plug that in. I have a MacBook Pro with a 500GB hard drive.

My Downloads folder I keep in the Finder. And I like to keep that tidy too...So every once in awhile I plug in that EHD with my digi stuff and move stuff over to it. I have a folder titled NEW STUFF that collects all my purchases till I open Picasa and tag them and put them in their respective folders (i.e., Papers, Embellishments, etc.).

Let's see, what else was talked about I wanted to comment on... Oh, yea, backups. I am a bit geeky when it comes to that! I have a drive that I cloned for emergencies (it gets updated every other day), of course I use Time Machine and I backup over the cloud with Crash Plan. I also bought another drive where I move files that I don't use often but I don't want to delete.

So far my upgrade to Lion is going ok. I have one issue that only happens once in awhile where when I boot up, sometimes it doesn't boot up all the way-some apps just don't load and I can't do anything-can't access the Dock, the Menu Bar or anything. I have to do a cold shutdown.

I am fighting an inner battle with getting an iPhone... Don't want to give Verizon more money but there are many times I just want one! I have an iPad2, wi-fi only. Love it! There are many reasons that it would be a good idea to have one-I have been outlining those reasons for my hubby and told him that an iPhone may be in my future but it's only because 'maybe' my current phone (I am eligible for a new phone) will break or get lost or my current older iPod Nano breaks. Doesn't make sense to buy another iPod I said. I am also wanting a new camera-one with GPS and HD video. Well, the iPhone 4S has both those. Not sure if any pictures I would take with it would be tagged with location and keep that info upon importing into iPhone. Must research that so I can bring that up to my hubby too. I warned him of my weakening. He just laughed. So that's my inner battle going on every day, to get an iPhone or not. Never had one. Been a Mac geek since about 1986... AND, as my hubby pointed out, we have Apple stock so every Apple purchase we make, in the long run, helps us! See, I think he really wants me to get one. What do you all think? Or am I reading too much into his reply??? LOL!!!

Well, this is a bit wordy and I have to do something else... Darn. Like dishes and folding laundry. Ugh. Judy

Judy, I definitely see an iPhone in your future. I have a 3Gs and am looking to upgrade to a 4s soon. I want to wait until its been out about 6 months so all the bugs are worked out...I try to do that with new model of anything, wait til the half year point.

FYI, the iMac is up and running...using it right now.

Absolutely, Judy - you should get an IPhone!

I recently upgraded to the new one and I love it! I've had no problems at all with my IPhone - in fact, it's so much better than my previous IPhone that I am truly impressed with it. I love the Siri feature and in spite of the battery issues that everyone is saying they are having with their IPhones, I have not had any problem at all with my battery - in fact, it stays charged for two full days and my previous IPhone would only hold a charge for about 24 hours.

Making the decision to upgrade to the new IPhone was a big one for me but I had another cell phone on my Verizon plan that was scheduled to be upgraded so I upgraded on that number and it brought the price of the phone down many $$$$$$$ which was the convincing factor I needed for my dh!

Go for it!

(I did have a little trouble syncing my IPhone with my laptop after I installed Lion, but that's all worked itself out now, so I'm a happy camper!

Judy, iphone sounds like loads of fun! I have a 4g ipod touch and like it but the kids get it more than I do! lol. I hope you get it.

what do you use to clone your drive and back it up with? I made a clone of Leopard in case I wanted to go back or needed to use it for something that didn't work in Lion but I didn't think of keeping a backed up clone.

Sandi, you have encouraged me and I now have all my apps all sorted in their proper categories in Lauchpad! That was quite the feat! It does help me remember what I have. So that has been good. I have quite a few apps that I had forgotten I had! now to get back to tagging and sorting scraps and photos!

Well, ladies.... I Took the plunge today... I bought an iPhone! Very hard to find but fortunately for me my dear, dear husband said I should said to buy the big one so I did! I always do what he says, right?! Anyway, the Apple store I went to only had the big one so I got a white 64GB one. We are now getting acquainted- I am using my iPad for this.... :-))

Well, ladies.... I Took the plunge today... I bought an iPhone! Very hard to find but fortunately for me my dear, dear husband said I should said to buy the big one so I did! I always do what he says, right?! Anyway, the Apple store I went to only had the big one so I got a white 64GB one. We are now getting acquainted- I am using my iPad for this.... :-))

YAY for you for taking the big plunge

You are going to just love your new techie tool - getting acquainted is going to be sooooo much fun!

Keep us posted on how you like it - did you get the newest IPhone?

Yay!!!!!! I'm still holding off until after Christmas...used up all my "tech toy" funds with the iMac. I just love, love, love Apple. I want the big iPhone too, but I'll hold off and get a black one, even if I have to wait. Hopefully after the first of the year they will be more available. Let us know what wonderful things you can do with it. I want it for the camera, if nothing else.

Yay!!!!!! I'm still holding off until after Christmas...used up all my "tech toy" funds with the iMac. I just love, love, love Apple. I want the big iPhone too, but I'll hold off and get a black one, even if I have to wait. Hopefully after the first of the year they will be more available. Let us know what wonderful things you can do with it. I want it for the camera, if nothing else.

Sandi, my "tech toy" funds are all used up for the next two years according to my dh! :) :) :) I did get the black one since I pre-ordered mine - I can't wait for you to get yours and see what you have to say about Siri - it just blows me away! And the camera on the phone? Awesome! Absolutely awesome!

Isn't techie life fun? :party-smiley-048:

Congrats on the new iPhone! Wow, 64g!! SWEET!

Hey just as a side note I found this guide to Lion.... (makeuseof)

http://www.makeuseof...-ultimate-guide

It's not a big guide 19 pages. but it gives some good info.

Thanks for the link to this guide - I downloaded it and will read it tonight

Well, Siri and I are going to get acquainted tomorrow I hope. But I can feel the love already!! Dotted: thanks, will check out that guide! Thanks!

I am amazed every day at the things I can ask Siri - it is a super duper feature - it can be quite comical at times - one hint: don't try and talk to Siri if there is alot of background talking going on or be too close to the tv - it confuses poor little Siri and she won't understand what you are asking for. Last night I asked her if I would need an umbrella today and she said, "it looks like you might" and then gave me the weather forecast. I asked her if I should cook a turkey for Thanksgiving and she gave me all of the nearby grocery stores!

I most love that I can ask Siri to remind me of things I need to do - appointments I have, etc - and love that she gives me a reminder at a specific time. I told her I needed to buy some Christmas stamps and she gave me all local post office addresses nearby. I asked if I should scrap today and she reminded me that I had nothing on my calendar to prevent me from scrapping.

Soooooo cool!

Not sure what I did now but I've obviously hit something I shouldn't have - going to try and explain it here - Yesterday I was on SG and you know how in the address bar it always has the link to whatever thread I am posting on? And how you can refresh the page by refreshing that link in the top bar?

Well, I no longer have the http address bar at the top of my page - and I can't figure out what I did to cause it to disappear.

Anyone? Please?

Not sure what I did now but I've obviously hit something I shouldn't have - going to try and explain it here - Yesterday I was on SG and you know how in the address bar it always has the link to whatever thread I am posting on? And how you can refresh the page by refreshing that link in the top bar?

Well, I no longer have the http address bar at the top of my page - and I can't figure out what I did to cause it to disappear.

Anyone? Please?

Hmmmm...at first I thought you had just gone to full screen view, but then I tried it...the menu bar is hidden but the address bar still shows. Sorry, I'll poke around a little and see what I can figure out...probably nothing. LOL. I looked in Safari preferences but didn't see anything that would give you that configuration. Sara, with trying to figure out your issues, we're all going to be lion experts. LOL. You're so good for my learning curve.

Archived