Lion

Cropalot

If you're in Safari, then try going to View up in the Menu bar and choose either Show Tool Bar or Show Status Bar from the drop down menu. One of those has the URL bar in it. I think it's the Status Bar. I've accidentally hidden it before, so I'm just going by my own experience. Hope this helps.

Debbie

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure what I did now but I've obviously hit something I shouldn't have - going to try and explain it here - Yesterday I was on SG and you know how in the address bar it always has the link to whatever thread I am posting on? And how you can refresh the page by refreshing that link in the top bar?

Well, I no longer have the http address bar at the top of my page - and I can't figure out what I did to cause it to disappear.

Anyone? Please?

Hmmmm...at first I thought you had just gone to full screen view, but then I tried it...the menu bar is hidden but the address bar still shows. Sorry, I'll poke around a little and see what I can figure out...probably nothing. LOL. I looked in Safari preferences but didn't see anything that would give you that configuration. Sara, with trying to figure out your issues, we're all going to be lion experts. LOL. You're so good for my learning curve.

:) :) Happy to help out with the learning curve, Sandi! The oddest things continue to happen and I'm sure I'll have many more issues to solve here - I'm just kind of blown away that I've these problems with the Lion upgrade - I can't recall having any issues at all in the past when I've upgraded and that's why this baffles me so.

If you're in Safari, then try going to View up in the Menu bar and choose either Show Tool Bar or Show Status Bar from the drop down menu. One of those has the URL bar in it. I think it's the Status Bar. I've accidentally hidden it before, so I'm just going by my own experience. Hope this helps.

Debbie

I did this, Debbie, and shouted "Woo-Hoo" - it worked! But then just as suddenly as I had done it, the URL bar disappeared again - surely I don't have to do this every single time I change where I am! Sigh! :):)

Yes, got e 4s. I love it so far! And because I have had an iPad for a few months, I kind of know how the iPhone works. We will be BFF's in no time!

Have you played around with Siri yet? Oh, my, I get the biggest kick out of that! Yesterday I asked it to tell me how to fix the glitches in my Lion upgrade! LOL LOL LOL Of course it couldn't answer that one, but hey, I had to try!

I love asking it whether or not I'm going to need an umbrella today - love the answer - "it doesn't look good today - you might want to take your umbrella"

:giggle_bear: :giggle_bear: :giggle_bear: :giggle_bear: :giggle_bear: :giggle_bear:

Siri must be an iphone thing. I can't find it to download it on my touch.

It is an IPhone thing - and it is sooooo cool! Trying to talk my dh into trading his dinosaur cell in for an IPhone - he isn't going for it though - he only wants to be able to talk and text on his. I have my old IPhone that he could re-activate and he wouldn't even have to buy one, but don't think I can convert him. Definitely think you should get one, Dotted! :giggle_bear:

I would love too. but because hubby does most of the cell phoning here in Mex, he get's the good phone. And since we move around so much we really can't get in on the 1-2 year contract.

But that's ok, I've got my teched out nook and touch. I've been pretty happy with them. Although some day a ipad would be nice. They need to drop in price for me though! wow, it's the cost of a computer!

I love using the camera on the touch for those random snapshots!

So glad your enjoying your phone! There are soo many fun apps for them!

I would love too. but because hubby does most of the cell phoning here in Mex, he get's the good phone. And since we move around so much we really can't get in on the 1-2 year contract.

But that's ok, I've got my teched out nook and touch. I've been pretty happy with them. Although some day a ipad would be nice. They need to drop in price for me though! wow, it's the cost of a computer!

Have you seen Photoshop Touch? Looks very cool. The iPad app will be out in a couple of months. It looks like you could even scrap on it.

Have you seen Photoshop Touch? Looks very cool. The iPad app will be out in a couple of months. It looks like you could even scrap on it.

I did just see the Photoshop Touch, Sandi - it does look very, very cool! It just keeps getting better and better, doesn't it? I'm going to be in big trouble if they don't stop coming out with all of these wonderful things that I just HAVE to have! :disappearing-smilie:

My Missing Manual finally arrived today! And I've just kind of browsed through it and already have learned sooooo much! Thank you, Sandi for reminding me about this manual - I can see that it's going to be just full of tips and techniques that are going to be fabulous!

Gosh, it is one very thick book! I can't wait to really delve into it - I think I'm going to read a little and then apply what I learn as I go - just to try things out!

Sara-I'm like you, I have to read and then apply what I am reading to the task at hand. Case in point is my new iPhone-I have gone to my local library with my iPad & my phone. I sit down, open the iPhone iBook on my iPad and have my iPhone on my left. I read something and do it. I have even used a feature (in the iBook itself) for highlighting and bookmarking pages with stuff I know I use a lot. My 60+ year old brain needs all the help I can give it!

Sara-I'm like you, I have to read and then apply what I am reading to the task at hand. Case in point is my new iPhone-I have gone to my local library with my iPad & my phone. I sit down, open the iPhone iBook on my iPad and have my iPhone on my left. I read something and do it. I have even used a feature (in the iBook itself) for highlighting and bookmarking pages with stuff I know I use a lot. My 60+ year old brain needs all the help I can give it!

I've been doing this too - The Missing Manual is just chock full of wonderful tips and techniques and I do exactly what you've been doing - I read, then apply and see if I like it. Of course, I usually do! I have had so many "aha moments" since I started browsing through The Missing Manual and just so many of those Mac Moments where I read and then think, "of course - I knew that - I just didn't know how to apply it to what I was trying to do" -

I've always learned just by doing and I am so pleased that the Missing Manual was recommended here - I would probably still be fumbling and stumbling and bumbling my way through Lion were it not for this book. It's still going to take me some time, but I'm getting it now - it makes so much sense!

And yes, there are some chapters that I read and think, "huh"? But everything is beginning to make sense to me now.

• 6 months later...

I still haven't fully adapted to Apple and it has been six months, Now we've taken on Mac Lion and PSE 10 within one week of each other. Not sure which is giving me the most trouble. I'm still trying to use my old Bridge with PSE 10 and it crashes on me periodically as it always did. I know Picasa has a good search engine. Ro showed me that at our last 'convention'. But I would have to tag everything that didn't come from SG. If it does use the tags I put into Bridge, it doesn't display them the same way and confuses me. Thank you girls for naming each Scrapgirls file so well.

I cannot turn pages in my Lion Address book. I cannot find the name of the files where items are found in my Finder. I don't know how to install my actions. Always before were they not stored with the styles and accessed in the same way? Does anyone have any good advice for me besides to give it up and get a life? LOL Does anyone have a favorite place to go on the net to find advice. I usually google everything. Sometimes get a good answer, but none to these so far.

I got a new iMac July 2011 but Lion was not on this computer. I could install it (for free) if I wanted too later but almost a year later and I have not done it.

I got a new iMac July 2011 but Lion was not on this computer. I could install it (for free) if I wanted too later but almost a year later and I have not done it.

Now that I've been using Lion for awhile and there have been a couple of upgrades, I'm very happy with it. There are some nice features and now I don't even remember some of the changes. Once in a great while it does "hang" and I have to restart, but since I save work so frequently I've never had it be anything more than a minor annoyance. And it has only happened two, maybe three times. Overall, I'm pleased with the upgrades.

And now they've gone and really, really redone the macBook Pro line with some absolutely incredible features. But alas, the price took a steep turn upward as well. Sticking with the one I have for now. I still use the laptop more than the iMac. I do most of my computing on the go, it seems.

Archived