Organizing Materials

kimmers

Hi,

I am still new to all this scrapping and I know(think?) that I read an article by JO about how she organizes her material. I have so many files that I spend more time looking thru them than actually using them.

Can someone point me in a good organizing direction?

Thank you,

Kimmer

Try reading this free ebook. 15 Things You NEED to Know to Become a GREAT Digital Scrapbooker (FREE Starter eBook) Ro gives some great tips for organizing your supplies.

I use two different ways (because I'm a dork like that) and have them in one folder organized by product type. In another folder, I have sub-folders with all the supplies from one collection in its own folder. I know it takes up more space, but it makes scrapping go faster for me. :)

Try reading this free ebook. 15 Things You NEED to Know to Become a GREAT Digital Scrapbooker (FREE Starter eBook) Ro gives some great tips for organizing your supplies.

I use two different ways (because I'm a dork like that) and have them in one folder organized by product type. In another folder, I have sub-folders with all the supplies from one collection in its own folder. I know it takes up more space, but it makes scrapping go faster for me. :)

I think I may try that. I end up looking through everything and seldom get a page scrapped.

Jean

I'm with April (and I know I've written up more details somewhere on this message board.)

As long as my disk drive has space, I have one set of finished products by collection, with sub folders for Alphas, Word Art, Embellishments, Papers, Album pages in each. I have a standard folder prepped that I just copy, and then put the collection into it, and rename the top-level folder.

I have another set "Scrap Girls Materials" and I put a copy of everything into it. It has an Embellishments folder, Papers, Word Art, Alphas. These folders are subdivided by type. Example, Word Art has AttributesVirtues, Home_Together, LoveLiveLife, TimeMoments, SeasonsWeatherEnvirons. There are about 20-25 subfolders here. Same for embellishments: Flowers, LeavesPlants, BradsButtons, CornersPagePoints, TagsLabelsJournaling, etc. Papers are by color: AquaTealTurquoise, Blue, Green, Brown, RedPinkMagenta, YellowGold, WhiteCream, Multi, etc.

Album/EasyPages are copied into their own folder.

So I can work from either set by collection or by the item/color/sentiment I need. I switch back and forth as needed. I'm a geek, and it works for me, and I do enjoy organizing the goodies, too.

Thank you April and Barbara,

I do have a lot of space on my Windows 7, so I think that I will try the double method you both suggest. I will read the book again, I did read it the very first time that I joined Scrap Girls, but was not scrapping yet, so nothing penetrated.

It will be an overwhelming job!

Thanks again,

Kimmer

Kimmer, glad this appeals to you. Remember, there is no hurry, except the one we impose on ourselves. Have fun re-discovering materials as you sort and organize!

p.s. If you live where I think you do, I'm jealous when it comes to mushrooms. My DH's family lived in Kennett Square, and we were able to obtain the most magnificent mushrooms for stuffing--3" across and pristine, beautifully fresh.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone used office onenote? I use it in school and am setting up a notebook(digital)for all the wonderful pages I am getting free and intend to buy, in it. It has the ability to put in extra pages, sections etc, and makes it so easy to use and see what you have. It is a great program that is part of the office suite, no I do not work for them, but it makes organization so much easier for anything you have on the computer. For me, organization is the key to getting anything done. I would love to share with anyone how to use it, or you can use youtube, it has a great tutorial on onenote. Thank you all for being so kind as to share ideas with us new folk.

• 3 months later...

I always try to read Barbara's notes on organizing and computer use, for obvious reasons. Thanks, Barbara.

Today I went through all of my ScrapSimple club stash, that I seldom use, and copied the marketing images over to a new file. However, I forgot to link them to the files themselves. Since I move things around, I wonder if I should go back and try to link them. ?? I can never remember what is in the clubs, so I don't learn how to use them.

Sorry, Kimmer, I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Has anyone used office onenote? I use it in school and am setting up a notebook(digital)for all the wonderful pages I am getting free and intend to buy, in it. It has the ability to put in extra pages, sections etc, and makes it so easy to use and see what you have. It is a great program that is part of the office suite, no I do not work for them, but it makes organization so much easier for anything you have on the computer. For me, organization is the key to getting anything done. I would love to share with anyone how to use it, or you can use youtube, it has a great tutorial on onenote. Thank you all for being so kind as to share ideas with us new folk.

Yes, I use OneNote and LOVE it! In addition to lots of other things, I use it for my wish list. I have one notebook as my wish list and within that book I have sections which match the categories in the Boutiqe. Then under each category tab I have pages for the subcategories. This way I can easily copy/paste all of the product information including image, product name, price, SKU, description, etc. I also use OneNote for organizing newsletter articles and tutorials as well as various posts from the forums.

I use OneNote also, and love it. I'm afraid mine is getting so large it will be unstable. I have a notebook for medical information, one for general reference, one for sewing and home dec, and one for Scrap Girls. I copy the page with comments on my layouts to it, as well as threads I'm particularly attached to. For threads, if you print to OneNote, it will take less space than the usual send to OneNote option.

Great tips everyone! I also keep collections together but reorganize some parts too as a double, alphas, embellishments, and word art. I also organize my collections into categories ( feminine, bright/colorful, children, nature, themed (chirstmas,valentine's, etc...)), warm colors, wedding etc then I can look at collections of a similar type together too!

Archived