New Dslr Owner!

B&K Mom

I'm so excited. DH said that we could buy a DSLR as our CHristmas present to each other. As a reminder (I know lots of you have heard this before) our current digital camera is circa 2002 and is a womping 4 MP!!! lol. It's been used tons and has served us well. BUt it's not keeping up with what we want to do with it. He gave me a price range, and today I was able to purchase a Nikon D3100 with both the 18-55 Nikkor lens AND the 55-200 Nikkor lens (both with image stabilization) for under $700 at Costco! That's underbudget!!!!! It's what I've been looking at for a while. While I would love a "bigger" camera, this is a great one for learning about manual mode...and an enormous improvement over what we've been using!!!!! I'm so excited! I haven't let myself take it out of the box yet though. Afraid I won't do the other things I'm supposed to do while I'm here.

Just wanted to say HIP-HIP-HOORAY with others who will understand.

Anyone have a suggestion on books for learning MANUAL techniques (besides DInny's great book)?? Thanks in advance!

Woo Hoo! Congratulations Debbie! It sounds like a beauty! Sorry I don't have much advice - I have a DSLR (Canon) but I'm still learning all about manual settings myself lol. Maybe someone else will come along with some good info for you. In the meantime, hope you enjoy it and have lots of fun! :)

Debbi, I have that exact camera! And I love it! I have several books that I can recommend. I'll need to dig them out and get the titles and authors...I'll send a PM later. Mean while...just take it out and play with it...you learn by using it. Fear not!! It's digital...you can always delete and start over!

How exciting!

One of the things I did when I got my first DSLR was go to the bookstore and browse their entire stock of camera books. I finally selected Jeff Revell's book for my camera, the Canon Rebel T1i, because he didn't just describe how to adjust the settings, but WHY to choose various settings. Also he includes beautiful photos with information about the settings he used and end of chapter assignments so you can go through it like a photography class. I just now searched Amazon for Jeff Revell because I know he has made books about several cameras, and indeed he has written one for you: Nikon D3100: From Snapshots to Great Shots.

Another great resource for me, before I even bought my DSLR, was an in-depth beginners' online course by John Greengo at CreativeLIVE, Fundamentals of Digital Photography. I enjoyed his manner of teaching, with humor and easygoing encouragement, and with his use of visuals he made clear for me how the camera works and what aperture, shutter speed, and all that means and why we choose various settings. If you go to that link, I think you can watch some of the videos free. CreativeLIVE regularly offers photography classes, so you may want to get on their mailing list.

Another online option that's totally free is a couple of blog series by My 3 Boybarians, 31 Days of Photo Tips (which she did last month) and 31 Days to a Better Photo (last year's).

For a wealth of information and forum where you can get feedback you might want to try Clickinmoms. They have challenges and contests and chatting too, just like here at Scrapgirls.

Digital Photography School is another great resource. I get notices of their articles via email so I don't miss any. I've subscribed to many other photography sites and blogs too, but I need to wrap this up.

Maybe you'd like to browse my photography bookmarks HERE. Have fun with your new camera!

Oh, one more thing! The best help for me in improving my photography has been that I participate in a local photography club that has monthly lesson/critique meetings and several photo shoots every month. I found the group through Meetup.com. You might also find groups through yahoogroups or Google groups (are they still active?). You can tell I love photography, I guess. :D But I have kids asking me to go upstairs and read bedtime stories, so I have to go.

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations! My dau in law has the Nikon and she takes beautiful photos. I received my Costco order today of my Canon Rebel w/ 2 lenses. Although I've used a regular Canon SLR for years, this is like a college course just reading the manual. :D It sure is pretty, though.

Jean

Archived