Hard Drive Mystery

naninca

This is one my CS Major son couldn't even solve. So I'm hoping one of you brilliant Scrapgirls can come to my rescue :)

I have a laptop with a 285GB hard drive. It got full (again), so I pulled all my photos off (about 73GB) and put them on an EHD and a Network drive. All well and good.

But my C drive is still full. We ran WinDirStat, and it found 176GB on the C and Recovery drives. But we can't find the remaining 109GB anywhere. The page that shows my drives says I have 2.26 free gigs on the C drive. That C drive is FULLLLLLL!

I did recently change from Mozy to Backblaze. But where could all those extra files be hiding?

(HP laptop running Vista)

Any ideas where I should look?

Thanks in advance!

Nancy

Oh, dear - I am so not wise enough to help with this one, but I am certain that there are several members here who will know how to help you. Right off the top of my head, I might pm Barbara or April - just for starters - Tiza is also very good with issues like this - really, there are alot of members who can probably help but those three just came to mind right away.

Ouch!

1. Empty the recycle bin and reboot. (I know, you've probably already done this.)

2. You'll won't have the full size of the drive available because the file system takes up some space.

3. Check your temp files. Sometimes PS doesn't clean up after itself and can leave enormous temp files hanging around.

4. Bob uses a program from PC Magazine to find space hogs on the hard drive. They have a new one called SpaceSniffer- he's trying it out right now. He's really liking it.

Thanks, April (and Bob!).

I've emptied, rebooted, defragged and now downloaded and ran SpaceSniffer. It came up with the same results as WinDirStat. It did, however, come up with a list of files it was "unable to examine". I'll have my darling son take a look at that list if he ever wakes up today :)

He's only here for the weekend, so I want to take advantage of having him here.

Sigh - I think I know just enough to be dangerous!

Thanks for your help, and I'd welcome any more suggestions if anyone can think of any :)

Nancy

Are you running Windows 7 (possibly Vista)? There is a Windows feature under system protection that saves PREVIOUS versions of designated files. I wonder if they are hidden (I've never enabled the feature.)

To see if it's on, click Control Panel, System and Security, System. On the left side, click System Protection. You may need to enter password, depends on system settings. On the window it opens, click Configure... If System protection is ON, then see how much space it's allowed on the bottom half of the screen.

I'm only guessing here, but wonder if this is the space-eater. I did not find data yet on where these previous versions are saved.

Oh Barbara, YOU ROCK!!

Darling son just read your post, pushed a few buttons an POOF! 120 free gigs!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

I think I can hear my laptop giving a sigh of relief!

Have a great day,

Nancy

Are you running Windows 7 (possibly Vista)? There is a Windows feature under system protection that saves PREVIOUS versions of designated files. I wonder if they are hidden (I've never enabled the feature.)

To see if it's on, click Control Panel, System and Security, System. On the left side, click System Protection. You may need to enter password, depends on system settings. On the window it opens, click Configure... If System protection is ON, then see how much space it's allowed on the bottom half of the screen.

I'm only guessing here, but wonder if this is the space-eater. I did not find data yet on where these previous versions are saved.

Where's the "like" button when you need it?!

Wow Barbara. You are the super dooper computer Guru. Thankyou for being so knowledgeable and free with your sharing. Much appreciated by many. Kay

Now all we need is for Barbara to be our super dooper Mac guru too! Oh, wouldn't that be nice!

Archived