Santa's Getting Me A Dslr!

podiumchick

Ladies, DH told me last night he was trying to buy me a DSLR for Christmas and decided he needed my help instead of trying to surprise me. (Boy am I glad...he hasn't done research, but just been looking on ebay and scared me by saying he thought the Rebel was top of the line....)

So, I'm interested in hearing what you all have or what you think I should get. Guidelines--it is going to be a Canon (unless many of you can convince me switching to Nikon is the way to go--as in you made the switch. I've owned my Canon for 8 years and really still works like new.) Also, I mostly shoot sports photography (swim and run), and prefer natural light photography when shooting people. We also really like to do landscape photography when on vacation.

I'm really interested in knowing which model and ONE lens that I won't be able to live without. DH hasn't given me a budget, but I don't want to buy more than I need. I'm not pro, and as much as I'd like to be, probably won't ever jump to that.

Thanks for your help!!

i am a canon girl and one of the reasons and why i would say you may not want to switch is that you are already familiar with where buttons are /what symbols they use etc... they seem to be similiar in all the canons..so one less thing to learn..but with that said i always suggest you go to the camera store and try cameras in your hand..some cameras "fit" you better than others... with natural light i would say the one lens to get is the 50 mm 1.4 as it will let in a lot of light so you can use it in lower light situations... good luck and have fun doing the research ....

I have a Canon T2i and think it's wonderful! When I did my research, I found out that Nikon and Canon are the top two, so from there, it's personal choice. If you already have a Canon, then your lenses should work on a new Canon - just a thought. Have a great time shopping and a happy Chirstmas. :-)

I agree with what Bobbie said...go to a store and try them out. I think the canon website also has a feature where you can compare features and prices. Its good to shop around for deals but buy from a reliable source. If you do sports photo the most, you might want to consider a zoom lens, so you can get closer shots of your sports stars in action. But wide angle is good too.The lens Bobbie recommends is fantastic for portraits and is a super lens. And sticking with Canon is great. Nikon has some super duper cameras and lenses, but its really personal preference. Pros shoot with either. Hobbyists shoot with either. Sometimes one company comes out with something that is better than what the other company offers, but then the other company has something else that may be better. The key is to learn to use whatever you have to its maximum ability...something that is a lifelong learning experience. I've used a couple of the Rebel series cameras, the Rebel Xt and the Xsi. I loved the Xsi, but am now shooting with the 7D. I have a friend who recently got a 60D. The T series are all good too. Whichever you decide on, you will love.

I have a Canon and I love, love, love it! I also have a Nikon that I just can't do without - but you've gotten some great advice here already. I would definitely go to the store and hold them, see how they feel, and compare the features that you want before buying. (I still have my Nikon film camera too and just can't part with it yet because I love it so much!)

Yippee for you. Just finally got our new Nikon D3100 last weekend (not enough time for everything that needs to be done <<sigh>>). Santa brought it early for DH and me. There's a lot of learning to do for sure. What a jump from our 9 1/2 yo Olympus. It made a difference when I went and held cameras. I really liked the feel of the Nikon better. That's just me. I was not biased either way prior to that. I have to agree that if you've used Cannon for years, it's probably wise to stick with them for ease of conversion issues. But have fun looking around. Dream big and buy what you need. Can't wait to hear what you get. Congrats again (aren't DH's great!).

Kim, as a Nikon shooter I don't know enough about Canon to give a recommendation...but just wanted to say I am so excited for you! I can't wait to hear what you get!

I have an older canon- the 40D. what I found is that when a new model comes out, the previous model is selling at a great discount--thus freeing up more money for lenses. One feature I don't have and would now insist on is the ability to shoot video.

Also check your lens purchases. IF you think you might 'grow into' a more serious model in the future you want to be sure you are buying glass that would fit a full frame camera down the line. The purchase is really about the lens system you will be building, not the camera body so much.

I hope its ok to say here? but check online at Adorama an B&H photo. They are both reputable, have 'used' demonstrator lenses and fab customer service and advice.

Congratulations! You will love the ability to have more control of your shots!

HTH,

candyK

• 2 weeks later...

I would say t3i for entry, 60d for video, 7d for sports, 5d for full frame professional and 1d if your rich with money to burn :)

I shot a 60d with L lens 24-70mm and 70-200mm, 50mm 1.8 prime, and 85mm 1.8 prime

Whatever you do defiantly look at getting the nifty 50 - it's a 50mm 1.8 lens for $100... Everyone should have that lens for the price.

50mm 1.4 would be the best choice for about $300

Big aperture will give amazing blur to your images for great portraits.

What a great hubby!!! I have a Nikon D3100 and I was so surprised at how easy it is to use - I have been a Pentax girl since I was little but my Dad convinced me to switch to a Nikon. I put it off for

a long time because I thought it would be a nightmare learning all the settings etc... But my Dad gave me a great tip - don't try to learn everything, just learn things as you need them. Many of the camera's

features may never be needed! I am thinking this applies to the Canon as well :)

Archived