Calling All Artists - Medium Question!

Can anyone tell me the difference between ModPodge Matte, Glossy Accents gloss medium, and Golden Gel Mediums Regular Gel (Matte). I know the difference between glossy and matte finish, and I know Modpodge is water based glue and sealer. I know Glossy Accents is a top coat sealer that makes embellishments etc more shiny, but what about Golden Gel Medium? Is that also just a sealer type product? Can those products be interchangable (again if matte or glossy finish is not an issue) ??

Thanks for asking this Lei. I'm not familiar with Glossy Accents, but I have wondered in the past myself about the difference(s) between ModPodge and Golden Gel Medium. I'll be watching this thread for answers along with you. :)

i know i've used the Gel Mediums before mixed with (acrylic) paint . . . for whatever reason, usually on canvas. it extends drying time and adds texture. it can be used as a glue or sealer also but i just prefer mod podge for that ;)

I've used some of them. Golden Gel Meduim is thicker, water cleanup, can be used similar to ModPodge or other acrylic sealers. The Gel is a better brand if that matters, and thicker if you want texture.

Usually matte looks better unless you are going for a shiny finish. I'm not sure what you are using it for, but all are water cleanup if acrylic.

Jean

Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge. I did end up using Glossy Accents on my project and was very happy with the results. In doing some research I found an interesting use for the Gel Medium besides what you all have shared. It can be used to transfer a printed image (a scrap design from your printer) to fabric (for example). Here is a defination I found:

Gel medium is a white glue-like substance, a little like Mod Podge, in that it can act as a glue (many collage artists use it for this). And it can act as a sealant over the top of artwork. But you can also use it to thin out acrylic paint and make it more translucent. And it can also act as the "holder" for an image transfer, receiving the image when it's wet. It comes in several textures, from a liquid to a thick paste. To use as a transfer, print your image onto a transparency. Paint a layer of gel medium down onto the surface you will be transferring to (like fabric for example) then rub image like you would a "rub-on" for scrapbooking until it is absorbed onto the gel medium from the transparency. Pretty cool, huh?

Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge. I did end up using Glossy Accents on my project and was very happy with the results. In doing some research I found an interesting use for the Gel Medium besides what you all have shared. It can be used to transfer a printed image (a scrap design from your printer) to fabric (for example). Here is a defination I found:

Gel medium is a white glue-like substance, a little like Mod Podge, in that it can act as a glue (many collage artists use it for this). And it can act as a sealant over the top of artwork. But you can also use it to thin out acrylic paint and make it more translucent. And it can also act as the "holder" for an image transfer, receiving the image when it's wet. It comes in several textures, from a liquid to a thick paste. To use as a transfer, print your image onto a transparency. Paint a layer of gel medium down onto the surface you will be transferring to (like fabric for example) then rub image like you would a "rub-on" for scrapbooking until it is absorbed onto the gel medium from the transparency. Pretty cool, huh?

There's some great info here Lei. Thanks for sharing!

Lei, do you know if that works for laser as well as inkjet?

I do not. I would have to investigate further.

Archived