Do You Use Pay Pal?

Scrapin Pat

Have been doing a little internet shopping for Christmas this morning and have come up against a site that uses pay pal only. I'm not sure how that works. Do you link it to an account - put money in ahead? Does it work well for you? I assume since SG has that option that its realiable. Just when I think hey this is an easy way to go shopping something complicates it. Aw guess thats what you get when you turn a Grandma loose on the internet.

I use PayPal. 10 years ago I was not impressed with them; now I'm very happy with the results.

PayPal gets the information for your credit card. When you say "pay with PayPal," you are directed to log into your PayPal account, and see an itemized receipt from the vendor. You can use a very secure password for PayPal. They pay the vendor, and you're set. The very first time or two, there COULD be an up to 24 hr delay while PayPal and your bank/credit card establish your credentials, but usually you're all set immediately.

This way, you're NOT giving your credit card information to many different vendors, all over the internet, and having to check if each has a secure site. I'm no longer skeptical; I use them all the time. Hope you're pleased with them.

I have never had an issue with PayPal. I like that companies (esp. small, unknown ones) won't see my credit card option. Hohwever, I would advise against using the bank acct option and stick with just using your credit card on Paypal.

I was buying something that needed a "verified account" on ebay, so I linked it to a small savings account that doesn't generally have much money in it. (The basic member account at the credit union that needs to keep $5 in it.) After you've linked it to an account, the payment from the account will be the default, so you have to change it if you want it to go to a credit card.

I do not use Pay Pal - I did have an issue with it one time - it wanted me to use Pay Pal and I wanted to use my credit card - after alot of back and forth with customer service I decided to just not buy the product from them since they would not allow me to use anything other than pay pal. I think things have changed alot since then and I believe that most companies give the option of either/or, but I still just choose to use my credit card.

Sounds as if everyone else has had good luck using it though.

I use PayPal a lot. I've never had any problems. My PayPal account is hooked up with my personal checking account as opposed to our main account that has lots of money in it. I never have very much money in mine in case something should happen.

A business that I am an independent contractor for requires that my paychecks be deposited in my PayPal account, so even if I didn't use it to purchase things, I would need it for that.

One of my nephews is a programmer for PayPal but that has nothing to do with my endorsement. :)

I do not use Pay Pal - I did have an issue with it one time - it wanted me to use Pay Pal and I wanted to use my credit card - after alot of back and forth with customer service I decided to just not buy the product from them since they would not allow me to use anything other than pay pal. I think things have changed alot since then and I believe that most companies give the option of either/or, but I still just choose to use my credit card.

Sounds as if everyone else has had good luck using it though.

I've been fortunate. I don't have a credit card, and I feel better having an ATM/Visa Debit Card transaction go through PayPal whenever possible.

I'm a long-time PayPal user. I thing I've used it ever since it existed. I used to buy and sell on eBay a lot, for myself and consignment. I've never had any kind of security issue. I vaguely recall having an issue using my credit card as opposed to a PayPal balance as Sara mentioned, quite some time ago, but I think I was able to sort it out. Never had an issue like that lately.

I like the idea of giving only ONE trusted company my CC information. PayPal handles it for me, and I'm not spreading my CC information around and I don't have to always get my CC out to make a purchase! And I have ALWAYS used PP with ScrapGirls. It makes it so easy!

I use PayPal all the time and am very happy with it. they even caught an illegal transaction on my account once, froze my account until they had contacted me and sorted it all out for me without any hassle.

you should be fine using PayPal but, obviously, read all the small print and be happy to make the choice yourself

I use it and don't use it - depending on the situation. The most important thing to do with PayPal is to make sure you use a strong password and change it occasionally. Password issues are probably the biggest problem people have. You also should avoid logging onto it if you aren't behind a secure connection - like your home wireless connection should be a secure one. But that's true of everything.

If you are using a public wireless connection, it's best to avoid going to PayPal and other banking institutions.

We accept it because so many people like it but about 2/3rds of our customers choose the traditional route with credit cards or debit cards. Because if doesn't allow the proper kind of rebilling, we can't accept PayPal when people have a club item in their shopping cart. In that case, the PayPal option doesn't even display so that there won't be any confusion.

Hope that helps!

• 2 years later...

I only use PayPal online.....that way I know if there is a problem I only have one card to take care of.....there are very few sites that won't take it

Archived