Matt Around Photo

Lor Bel

Hi everyone

I am trying to put a matt around a photo. I used the crop tool and made a selection a little wider than my photo. I changed the background color to pink which did show up in the tool bar. The matt comes out white not pink even though I had changed it. I am using PSE 9 on a MAC.

Thanks

Lor

Hi - I use PSE 6 on a Mac and I just did this - it's kinda an easy "cheater" (but quick) way!

When my layout is finished I just place the entire thing onto another background sheet and resize using the bottom layer as a matte. Volia - instant matting! :)

Does this make sense? I know there's a more professional way to do this - but I usually can't remember how! :)

(PS will be watching this thread for the other ways...)

A simple way to mat a photo with PSE is by adding a stroke outline. After you've changed your foreground color to the color you want your mat to be, go to Edit>Stroke Outline Selection. A box will come up where you can enter the pixel width you want - this will be the width of the mat. (you may want to start with a low number and then you can always use CTRL+Z to undo and start over again if you want a wider mat) If you want crisp corners on the mat, check the Inside location. I usually just leave the blending mode normal and opacity at 100%, but these are things you can play around with. HTH

I duplicate the photo, CTRL J, then on the bottom one I put a stroke whatever size you want. Then you can add a style to it if you want to. Link the two together. I don't merge because you might want to change your mind.

To put a stroke on it's own layer, first make a Direct Selection around the photo (or whatever you are outlining) by holding the CTRL key down and Clicking on the thumbnail picture of the photo in the Layers Palette. This will give you "marching ants" all around the photo. Then create a new layer and place it above the photo layer. Make sure it is highlighted in the Layers Palette. Then, go Edit > Stroke Selection and create your stroke.

With the stroke on it's own layer, you can add styles, change colors, etc. Also, if you have your stroke on it's own layer, but you want it to LOOK like it is part of the photo, don't add a drop shadow to the stroke, add the shadow to the photo.

Hope that helps! :D

How do you put a stroke on a separate layer?

For the way I do it, see post no 6. I don't know any other way.

I do it a little differently. I create a new layer above the photo, then I control click on the thumbnail of the layer to select it (there are then marching ants around the photo.) With my new layer active, I go to Edit>Stroke and choose the color and size of my stroke and click OK. Then only the stroke is on the layer, not the photo too.... which is helpful if you want to add a style to it. (Something this style junkie does all the time.)

And for my Project SG layouts... where I have a 10 pixel white stroke on every photo.... I created a style with a drop shadow and a stroke to make them go way faster.

I'd love to know how to do that! Maybe it's something I can sit down and tackle now that the holidays are over. :)

And for my Project SG layouts... where I have a 10 pixel white stroke on every photo.... I created a style with a drop shadow and a stroke to make them go way faster.

I'd love to know how to do that! Maybe it's something I can sit down and tackle now that the holidays are over. :)

You need the full version of Photoshop to create styles. I'm not sure how much or if you can edit them in PSE.

• 2 weeks later...

April, that sounds a great idea to create your own style for this. I might just need to have a play and see if I can do it also.

• 1 year later...

I'd love to know how to do that! Maybe it's something I can sit down and tackle now that the holidays are over. :)/>

You need the full version of Photoshop to create styles. I'm not sure how much or if you can edit them in PSE.

I followed the instructions above in PSE11 and it doesn't work. Rats!

If you want a mat behind the photo, rather than a frame, you can create it with the custom shape tool, rather than the selection tool. Choose the shape you want, and ee sure the color you want is the foreground color in the photo picker before you use the shape tool. Then draw the shape to the size you want on a layer under the photo, and add a thin shadow to the photo. With this approach, you can also clip a paper to the mat, or change the edge using styles or edge embellishments, or brushes as erasers. More chances to play!

Archived