Labeling Your Dvds

Becster

I wanted to share what I did in the event that it might help someone else.

This whole DVD thing has been totally new to me, and I wasn't even sure how to go about labeling it once I had the label design the way I wanted it. I knew it had to be lined up properly to print, and so when I purchased the paper that April recommended for the envelope (Staples Photo Supreme Double Sided Matte Paper) I also purchased a kit:

Staples CD & DVD Label Kit (#32956) for Windows

It was $14.99 and comes with 25 sheets of CD labels (2 on each sheet) and 10 sheets of case inserts (which I really didn't need for this but will probably use for some other things.

There is a basic CD of labeling software included, and once it was installed I poked around in Windows Explorer to see where the default designs were stored.

C:/Program Files/Staples CD Labeler/STCD/Backgrnd/All

There are quite a few folders in this directory, so I chose 'Designers Choice' and then copied over my own CD label that I had designed using ScrapSimple Card Templates: 5x5 CD Card Template Family, which I had saved as a jpg.

Then I opened the program, and voila! My design was right there and ready to load and print.

Easy peasy!

I have a memorex label kit (with a bunch of labels and a thing to get them on the DVD nicely) that I got ages ago. I downloaded updated software and that is what I used for my project that was in the newsletter. My printer will print on DVD's, but I didn't want to go out and buy the printable ones - because sometimes I'm kind of cheap like that. ;)

I have a memorex label kit (with a bunch of labels and a thing to get them on the DVD nicely) that I got ages ago. I downloaded updated software and that is what I used for my project that was in the newsletter. My printer will print on DVD's, but I didn't want to go out and buy the printable ones - because sometimes I'm kind of cheap like that. ;)

:) :) Me too, April - but I do like the Memorex label kit too.....

I wanted to share what I did in the event that it might help someone else.

This whole DVD thing has been totally new to me, and I wasn't even sure how to go about labeling it once I had the label design the way I wanted it. I knew it had to be lined up properly to print, and so when I purchased the paper that April recommended for the envelope (Staples Photo Supreme Double Sided Matte Paper) I also purchased a kit:

Staples CD & DVD Label Kit (#32956) for Windows

It was $14.99 and comes with 25 sheets of CD labels (2 on each sheet) and 10 sheets of case inserts (which I really didn't need for this but will probably use for some other things.

There is a basic CD of labeling software included, and once it was installed I poked around in Windows Explorer to see where the default designs were stored.

C:/Program Files/Staples CD Labeler/STCD/Backgrnd/All

There are quite a few folders in this directory, so I chose 'Designers Choice' and then copied over my own CD label that I had designed using ScrapSimple Card Templates: 5x5 CD Card Template Family, which I had saved as a jpg.

Then I opened the program, and voila! My design was right there and ready to load and print.

Easy peasy!

Thanks for the easy pease, Becky - I like anything that's easy - I was gifted with an awesome CD the other day that a friend had made and her label was fabulous - I asked her how she did it and she said she had just bought Photoshop and that she taught herself how to navigate it in a couple of days! Blew me away! I thought, "gosh, I still haven't "mastered" it yet and I've been using it for years! She had done a fabulous job to include taking photos of real people and replacing them with real people on the CD - it was a "gotcha" CD with appropriate music for a guy here (a law enforcement guy who has done some not so nice things) and I got a big laugh out of it.

Depending on the equipment available to you, some printers (Epson R1800 for sure) will print directly on "printable" DVDs & CDs. Also, some PC's have LightScribe burners, where you turn the media over and it "etches" your image on to the disc itself - it's "greyscale" depending on the color of disc you buy, I've seen other colors but most common are like a burnished gold. Both types of direct "printing" require compatible media, but might be an option for some.

I'm thinking of selling my R1800 as I use services for larger prints when needed and my wireless HP does great one-off photos up to 8.5x11. I haven't printed a DVD/CD in over a year, but now I'm wondering if I should get more ink for the Epson!

Thanks for the replies! I love hearing how others tackle their projects!

The internal cd drive on my pc is a Lightscribe burner, but I've had to begin using a little external drive for everything. The door won't open to eject anything anymore (even when using the paper clip trick).

I burn directly on to the CD. It turns out really well. Of course your printer has to be equiped for it. Good luck with whichever way you go. The discs look so proffessional with photos or text on them. Kay

• 8 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I'm hoping to do some archiving today of PSD and JPG files I did for an album for my father in laws birthday. Instead of just burning a DVD and writing in pen I thought it would be nice to print a label for it and as I haven't done it in years and years I've been reading this thread for ideas.

I believe our printer will go straight on to disk, but not keen on buying special disks for it so I will stick to paper. What I found useful in the past was the label applicator we got with our labels, it makes it easy to get the label on the disk in the correct place, I'm not sure whether anyone got one with their labels.

Archived