Remember 1955?

tiza126

Real comments made in the year 1955!

•  
  • I'll tell you one thing, if things keep going the way they are, it's going to be impossible to buy a week's groceries for $10.00.

• Have you seen the new cars coming out next year? It won't be long before $2,000.00 will only buy a used one.

• Did you hear the post office is thinking about charging 7 cents just to mail a letter?

• If they raise the minimum wage to $1.00, nobody will be able to hire outside help at the store.

• When I first started driving, who would have thought gas would someday cost 25 cents a gallon. Guess we'd be better off leaving the car in the garage.

• I read the other day where some scientist thinks it's possible to put a man on the moon by the end of the century. They even have some fellows they call astronauts preparing for it down in Texas .

• Did you see where some baseball player just signed a contract for $50,000 a year just to play ball? It wouldn't surprise me if someday they'll be making more than the President.

• I never thought I'd see the day all our kitchen appliances would be electric. They're even making electric typewriters now.

• It's too bad things are so tough nowadays. I see where a few married women are having to work to make ends meet.

• It won't be long before young couples are going to have to hire someone to watch their kids so they can both work.

• I'm afraid the Volkswagen car is going to open the door to a whole lot of foreign business.

• Thank goodness I won't live to see the day when the Government takes half our income in taxes. I sometimes wonder if we are electing the best people to government.

• The fast food restaurant is convenient for a quick meal, but I seriously doubt they will ever catch on.

• There is no sense going on short trips anymore for a weekend. It costs nearly $2.00 a night to stay in a hotel.

• No one can afford to be sick anymore. At $15.00 a day in the hospital, it's too rich for my blood.

• If they think I'll pay 30 cents for a haircut, forget it.

....oh how things have changed!!

Actually, some of those are from later than 1955. I remember gas being cheaper than that, and postage also. And I was born in 1955, and no, I don't remember anything from that year!

This was an email I received at work today. And obviously I was born much much later than 1984, so I can't verify these facts ;)

I love this. I remember my Dh saying, "if only I could earn R1,00 per hour, we would manage fine". That was in 1967. One Rand was about $0,50 then. When we got the R1, it still wasn't enough.disappearing-smilie.gif I had to go out to work to earn enough to buy our first house.

I do remember putting $.50 worth of gas in Mama's car so she wouldn't kow we had driven all over town when we were just supposed to go to a girlfriend's house and back. Not even sure one can put just 50 cents worth of gas in a car now.

Oh, and the movie was super cheap too - I think I remember paying $.25 to get in - and we always sat in the balcony so we could smooch....

Archived