Jumpstart January 2012

tiza126

Task 6 Done

It's so funny, I spent the entire weekend sorting my stash and my photos and doing backups. Even put it in my status. I'm a bit behind with my e-mails so when I checked them, I saw that Task 6 was to sort your stash. Thankfully I'm done.

I always unzip my files immediately and put them in a temp file until I can sort them. I keep collections together AND split everything up into files. Background papers, and then the colors, buttons, flowers, All templates, etc. I know this takes up a lot of space, but I can just find things easier this way. Maybe once I've learned to use Picasa properly, I will get rid of a lot of the files. I also keep all my zipped files as I sometimes need to refer back to them, especially the actions and styles. I don't even get rid of the PNG files. I just cannot get myself to get rid of anything.

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Task #6: I don't really have an organization method. I'm not really sure where/how to even start so they're by collection right now

Sorting by Collection is an organizational method! That's how I did it until I built up a stash large enough to break into categories. I still keep my supplies in their folders by collection, actually. I tag things so I can find them easier. I have it both ways!

Task #6: I don't really have an organization method. I'm not really sure where/how to even start so they're by collection right now

Hi Heather

You could think about using an product that allows you to tag your supplies. That way you can leave them in their collections. There is an advantage to that because its easy to find products of the same theme. All the PSP allow this, so I'm assume that Photoshop does too. There are also some good ones that are free to download.

Task #5--done.

Task #6--done.

I used to have everything sorted by Paper, Embellishment, etc. but got so frustrated trying to find a single collection. I finally went back and put all the collections back together. So now I have a fold of collections, one for Christmas collections, one for all the ScrapSimple items. That particular folder is broken down by item: EmbTemp, WordArt, Shapes, Type Shapes, etc. I also have a folder for brushes. My old sort system is still in place for all my freebies. Windows Vista has a good search feature so this plan works for me.

Coming back to add that I decided to use this opportunity to load brushes and styles into PSE. I put off doing it until I have several. I load brushes as instructed in the Brush ebook...is it Shalae's? And I use Add-O-Matic to load styles and actions. I just hate the time it takes to rebuild the thumbs database once I add. It's all done now! Yay!

Task 6 - I've spent some time today sorting things - I hope we don't have to finish to qualify for this task!! I did find all kinds of wonderful supplies I'd forgotten about.

As for sorting, when I began, Ro was recommending splitting the collections into different folders, e.g. papers, embellishments, alphas, etc. I have folders & sub folders, like red papers, blue papers and buttons, holiday embellishments, etc. I am considering having folders for the whole collection, though - I almost never stick to one collection for a layout, and think I might like do more like that. I do have the example sheets separated out in their own directories, so I can browse them. I also have some tags attached (I have ACDSee, but wouldn't recommend it).

Task #6 completed!

I keep all of my Scrap Girls stuff separate from my other scrap stuff. I have one folder for Backgrounds and another for Embellishments. In the latter folder, I have sub-folders with names like Alphas, Brushes, Buttons/Charms/Keys, Flowers, Frames, Overlays, Paper Clips/Pins/Staples, Quick Pages, Ribbons, Tags/Journals/Mats, Templates, and Word Art. I also have theme folders for Babies, Christmas/Winter, Love/Valentine's, Easter, Autumn/Thanksgiving, etc. So far, I'm keeping all my collections together in a Collections folder. I'd rather not, but don't know how else to handle them. I don't yet have a way to tag(Picasa wasn't friendly to my computer.)

I have the same setup in my non-Scrap Girls folder, except I have everything together no matter where it came from. I even renamed everything when I first started (uh oh), so there are some things that I've forgotten where they came from!

It's not a great system, so I'm always looking for a better way!

TASK# 6

all by photos and scrapping supplies are on an EHD.

I first unzip all my supplies to a folder called scrapbook NEW

I keep all my collections together in folders by scrapping site but i make a copy of them and then break them up into different categories . Collections are in folders by the name of the scrapping site. Brushes, Actions, and Patterns are in their own folders ( they have sub folders like for brushes, grunge, alpha, holidays etc)

I copy the new stuff into my folder called called Scrapbook Organized when i have the time and then sort the copy of the folder and break it up into sub folders. Some subfolders have subfolders, like embellies has lots of specific types ( buttons, frames, flowers, animals etc ) and word art has subfolders ( holidays, love, home, me etc), paper has subfolders ( specific colors and types, like stripped, sky etc)

I used to use acdsee but i found it had its issues... especially since i go btween different computers with the same EHD. same for picasa...i found all kinds of things came up when i searched and it was hard to find stuff. also i find things are named differently and you may not find something...like you may want some bluish paper and if you put in blue you wouldnt get a paper that has the name colbalt or ocean

Now i just go to the folder or sub folder and can see everything... sometimes i just use the operating system and do a search but it is much easier to search and see everything in the sorted folders

January 9th – Task 7

Make a list of current ScrapGirls products you own and love but just haven't used yet. If you've used all the current products you own, look for 3 products in the ScrapGirls Boutique that you'd like to own.

Requirement: Post links to the 3 products in this thread.

What do you do if you haven't used all of your newest purchases? I know that I haven't used all of my new stash.

Post links to 3 of those products in this thread

Task 6 complete.

I organize as soon as I download, so I was up to date on this one. :)

In my "Scrapping Stuff" folder I have a sub-folder for different sites. In my SG folder I keep my kits together by file name. I also have a folder for the clubs, too: "2011 Club" and each filed by month, and the same for the SS Club.

I always need to find frames quickly, so I have a folder where I have copied frames from various kits. Actions, Brushes, Fonts and Styles each have their own folders as well. Christmas has its own folder, too. It sounds a lot more confusing that it really is, but it works for me. :)

Task #7 Completed

It would be a lot more fun to look for something I'd like in the boutique, but since I just bought a bunch of things with my Christmas gift certificate that my DD gave me this wasn't too difficult! Actually the Yesteryear Collection I've had for a while, but haven't used it (I don't think I have anyway LOL) Thanks Jen!

MRE_SSEmb_DateSlides from December SS Club -

http://store.scrapgirls.com/product/24423/ScrapSimple-Embellishment-Templates%3A-Date-Slides

BMU Yesteryear Collection

http://store.scrapgirls.com/product/13059/Yesteryear-Collection-Biggie

PJO All About Edges

http://store.scrapgirls.com/product/23804/Value-Pack%3A-All-About-Edges-Pack-1

Task #7 done!

Im always on the lookout for interesting frames and recently bought Jen Reeds Ripped Frames Light.

Although I havent used them yet, I like their texture and am already thinking of possibilities.

On my wish list is the sweetly nostalgic Blossom Hill Collection by Syndee Nuckles. I think it will look great with, among other things, sepia-tinted old photos.

Im also eyeing Brandy Murrys Coastal Brush Set. I love the detail in them and think they will look terrific with beach and summer layouts.

Archived