Jumpstart January 2012

tiza126

Task 6 - Complete!

I just finished organizing my newest SG sale purchases. My organization is a folder in my "Documents" File named "SCRAPBOOKING".

Into this folder are separate files for purchases - I keep each collection, etc together and file them according to purchase date.

In addition, each time I download, I drag the 600jpg marketing photo for each product into a Word Document that was started with my first SG purchases.

I then print these and they are in a binder in sleeves - so I can easily "browse" through my products when starting a new project.

Strange, but works for me!

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Task 6 Done!

I've actually spent the past couple of week organizing my kits, finishing it this morning. All my kids are stored on a flash drives. (one day I hope to have an external hard drive) I have all my kits store under digi scrap kits. General kits organized by designer. Then I have folders for alphas (with no kit associated), birthdays, christmas, thanksgiving, easter, halloween and food & drink. I use the folder previews for all the general kits so I can quickly browse them by color palette. I guess I have a kinda photographic memory because I don't tag anything, but can visualize what's in the folder when I see the little preview and am usually spot on when I look for a particular element or paper. Brushes (which is really the only extra I can think of!!) is saved directly in PSP. Things like overlays and brushes I like but don't translate well into PSP are in their own, respective folders. I don't use them as much and keep them separately from the kits.

Task #6- I organize my products by the name of the collection. I do have some bigger catagories such as summer, christmas, sports, etc. that I will use to store collections and individual products. When I buy something, I usually print out a picture of what I buy, so when I start looking at a group of pictures, I can thumb through my notebook and see I hard copy of what I have. I tend to unzip products right after I download them.

Task 6 - Started last night finished this morning. I was really behind. I have folders for major categories, e.g., collections, ss paper, styles, etc. The digital products are stored in the folder by category and then in alpha by designer. I hadn't thought about printing a copy for a binder but sounds like a great idea.

Task #6 done

I actually was behind in this thank goodness you made me do it!!

I unzip and just place into folder right away. I try to back up my scrapbooking folder onto my external after purchasing stuff so I own't loose anything. But I didn't do that part yet. Should do that now!!

Task #6 Completed.

It took me a while & I must say there were a few moments when I wasn't sure what I was doing. But they are all unzipped & sorted into their proper folders! Actually this is a usual Saturday chore for me, so it wasn't really that bad except for the fact that I had done a lot of internet surfing & had downloaded quite a few new styles & brushes.

Task #6 done.

I am fairly up to date on this. I have all my scrapping supplies on an EHD and I back them up on DVD's. I had fallen a bit behind getting things off my desk top (which my DH was kind enough not to complain about) and I got everything ordered and moved and backed up. I will spend some time today trying to install styles on my new PSE 10, but I'm not optimistic about having much success with that effort.

Task #5

left love for… Jode2771, MBC72,Mellissamargret,CRS and Kelda

so neat to see all the different layouts. so hard with so many of us leaving lots of love!! That's a good sign.

Task #6

I organize my purchases in a folder under ScrapGirls>Purchases>Zip Files by the date they are purchased. I unzip the folders for easy access so I can browse, keeping each purchase in its own folder. I have an excel spreadsheet where I enter every purchase under alphas, collections, templates, styles etc. I also have one by designer that list everything I have by designers name.

TASK 6 -- COMPLETE!

I am happy for this task -- because I am always wondering if there is a better more efficient way of organizing my growing Scrap Girls products. So to have insight on what others are doing is very helpful! ** I will be incorporating saving my PSDs as TIFF files as mentioned by Jenna. And doing an actual print out of all my wonderful items like Marilyn (MariJ) does.

My method for Collections:

• Download files from SG site -- New Folder is created for collections and so named.
  • UNZIP - usually one folder at a time --- All Zipped folders go into a single Folder named ZIP
  • EMBELLIES / PAPER / WORDART -- I remove them from their own folders and place all items in the MAIN folder -- for easy viewing & one step less in searching, Their download folders are discarded.
  • ALPHAS -- I leave in their own folder.
  • MARKETING Sheets -- I place into a Folder named AVIEW--(COLLECTION NAME) -- its a digital binder and is at top of all items in folder -- for when I want a quick glance at everything in the collection.

QUESTION -- I see that you discard your individual png files if you have a png sheet. So then how do you transfer the item from the png sheet to your layout document? I know it is probably obvious - but... ?? :)

TASK 5 done

TASK 6 done

This task is always in progress for me. I have folders for paper, embellies, templates - those folders are split into sub-folders like neutrals, patterns, theme specific; embellies gets broken down to templates, frames, ribbons & fibers, scatters, theme specific, holiday (the list goes on). So I split it all up into these categories. If the kit comes with the png sheets I keep those & discard the individual files in the interest of disk space. I also have started saving my PSD files as Tiff because they save as layers but are smaller than the PSDs. If I need to (or want to) use only one colletion I search by designer or collection name.

Still procrastinating on Task 4...

QUESTION -- I see that you discard your individual png files if you have a png sheet. So then how do you transfer the item from the png sheet to your layout document? I know it is probably obvious - but... ?? :)

TASK 5 done

TASK 6 done

This task is always in progress for me. I have folders for paper, embellies, templates - those folders are split into sub-folders like neutrals, patterns, theme specific; embellies gets broken down to templates, frames, ribbons & fibers, scatters, theme specific, holiday (the list goes on). So I split it all up into these categories. If the kit comes with the png sheets I keep those & discard the individual files in the interest of disk space. I also have started saving my PSD files as Tiff because they save as layers but are smaller than the PSDs. If I need to (or want to) use only one colletion I search by designer or collection name.

Still procrastinating on Task 4...

Jo, with PSE you can use the Marquee Tool (M) to draw a shape around the item on the png sheet, then use the Move Tool (V) to drag and drop the item to your layout. HTH

Task #6 done.

I am always pretty up to date with this as I can't wait to open the Club deliveries and my freebies! I use a filing system that I think Ro designed. I have sub divided the embellies rather more than in the original plan. I also have a folder for new downloads where I keep recent purchases and Club deliveries. That way I get a good look at them as a group before they are filed into their separate places. I keep the marketing pages too in a folder - which I can browse if I'm looking for something in particular. The LO suggestions that often accompany a collection are kept - I find these useful for inspiration.

OK. Better late than never!

TASK #1

Instead of uploading new photos, I scanned some old photos that I only had prints of. Hope that's OK.

TASK #2

As these photos were already quite old when I scanned them, I used the Fade Correction tool and then sharpened them. For the first photo I also selected the land mass at the top of the photo using the smart edge Selection tool and then applied-33 brightness and +39 contrast just to that selection.

I extracted the background out of my second photo and cropped it just leaving the bougainvillea.

The thumbnail of my first photo is below.

TASK #3

I thought all of these would be fun to use with my two photos:

http://store.scrapgirls.com/product/4401/Caribbean-Paper

http://store.scrapgirls.com/product/15321/Beaute-Botanique-Collection-Biggie

http://store.scrapgirls.com/product/12794/Cabana-Collection-Biggie

Task #6 done!

I basically download into my scrapbook folder, which is then divided into collections. I keep Christmas collections and Christmas freebies separate. Besides collections, I have folders for papers, templates, and embellishments. I divide my embellishments into other categories such as buttons and fasteners, ribbons, flowers and leaves, frames, and tags/journaling items. A lot of the freebies wind up there, but if they come from a collection I own, I put them with the collection.

I've recently begun tagging in PSE so I spent a little time on that; it's definitely a work in progress! I'm trying to tag based mostly on use. E.g., borders; swirls; small, round embellishments, and several other categories. For papers, I tag based on color and pattern. I like tagging because the same object can be tagged different ways.

Task #6 Done. I have my Scrapbooking (Tree) folder broken down into subfolders of each item ex: Actions, Adornments (splats,spills,etc.) Bling, Bows, Brushes, Fleurs, Frames, Overlays, Quick Pages, Ribbons, Templates, Textures, Tutorials, etc. (mostly for freebies and things from kits I really like). I also have a subfolder called "Holidays, Events, Etc" with subfolders for Baby, Beach, Boys, Birthday, Christmas, Easter, Dad, Halloween, Mom, Girls, Heritage, Love, Wedding, Winter, etc. where I keep complete kits. I save these to DVDs I also have a folder called Previews where I keep a copy of each kits preview. Eventually I will print these. I need to learn how to put a pic of the preview on the folder itself if anyone knows how to do this I would appreciate your help. I have been deleting the tiff files because I thought they were for an Apple computer. I didnt know they were layered so thanks for that tip!

Task #6 done

I usually download supplies to 2 separate ehds. I use the marketing picture of the collections in a file by collection name with designer initials at the end of the file name so I can search by designer in my files containing the actual collections. I then also have files for SG sets, alpha, embellishments, jifs,papers, word art, etc. I tag files after downloading in Adobe Bridge – try to in Picasa, but am about to give up on it – it throws stuff at me in what seems to be no rhyme or reason. I save the original zip files and after I've got a significant number, I burn a data dvd. I know I sound obsessive – perhaps I am. There are times I use organizing to procrastinate actually doing a layout.

TASK #4

Done at last! Loloata Island

I used the St Croix Collection

I merged my first photo and the extract of my second photo. Then I applied a Corel PSP mask frame, recoloured the frame with a selection from the St Croix paper and then merged it the photo an frame into the background paper using the eraser tool at 100% opacity for the centre of the photo and 24% for the sand edges. I used Sand Font as a template the erased my title at 654% opacity into the background paper using an brush that I created out of a sample of my background paper to give it a sandy look. I used an emboss effect on my sand background to frame the photo.

Task #6: Organizing files

I unzip my files and sort them into folders. I use an external hard drive to store all my supplies, so I have some mobility. I save my zipped files to a different external hard drive for back up and long term storage.

I have one folder for backgrounds and another for word art that I don't subdivide. I use picassa to tag and search these.

The rest of my files get sorted into a folder called SCRAP CUPBOARD, with subdivided folders organized like a village market square:

Fabric & Crafts (buttons, baubles, bows, ribbons....)

Flower shoppe (fresh, silk, stems, leaves, clusters...)

Food market (produce, bakery, coffee shoppe...)

Foundations (Jiffy layouts, digital layout templates, sketches....)

Framing Studio (Frames, photo templates, masks....)

Holiday Headquarters (Christmas, Valentines....)

Home & Garden Supply (gardening, architectural elements...)

Hearth & Home (Indoor decor elements, kitchen...)

Library (SG Instructions, Product instructions, tutorials....)

Music shoppe (instruments, sheet music...)

Nature preserve (bugs, birds, critters....)

Office supply (school supplies, stationery, fasteners, tapes, tags....)

Sports & Fitness (althletic gear, diet, exercise...)

Sporting goods (outdoor gear, hiking, camping, fishing....)

Toy store (baby stuff, boy stuff, girl stuff...)

When I have an embellishment in mind, I just go shopping in my SCRAP CUPBOARD, only I don't have to drive anywhere or mess with parking! :giggle_bear:

TASK #5

Done

TASK #6

I unzip my supplies and keep them in their collections. I use Picasa which was recommended to me some time ago by one of you lovely ladies. I've configured Picasa to update as I unzip my supplies. I've developed a the following categories and I tag each of my supplies in Picasa. That means I can filter my supplies. For example, I can run a filter for “papers” that are “yellow, gold, orange”. Gee whiz! I’m organised!

• Frames Borders
  • Fastenings Buttons Brads
  • Household
  • Plants Animals Nature
  • Tag Journal Label
  • Clothes Accessories
  • People
  • Flowers Hearts
  • Swirls Scatters Clusters

• Black White Grey
  • Green Teal
  • Blue Aqua
  • Pink Purple
  • Red Rust
  • Yellow Gold Orange
  • Brown Tan Taupe
  • Photo Scene

Task #5 Done - This was a hard one for me... I love meeting new people, but I'm horrible about "chatting" virtually.

Task #6 Done - Being a "librarian" (Lib_grrl is Library Girl), organization was fairly easy for me once I decided how I want to find things. Everything is on a portable external drive, but I back-up the original zip file on the external hard drive hooked to the home server. The originals are filed by year acquired. I also keep a running Excel spreadsheet of what I've bought because sometimes I can remember. Late last year I added a tab for Wish List. If you want the details of how I organize the spreadsheet, let me know.

On the portable drive, I have folders for ScrapLift Ideas (layouts I like and use for inspiration), Alphabets, Embellishments, Instructions (instructions, tutorials, eBooks) Layout Templates, Papers, and Tools (brushes, styles, actions). Everything except ScrapLift, Insturctions, and Tools are organized by collection. The "Preview" or printable sheets go in the main folder for the item type, so I can quickly scan the collections I own to find specific colors or styles.

Embellishments have a further breakdown in the collection folder with folders for: Borders-Frames, Brads, Buttons, Eyelets, Journaling Boxes, Photo Corners, Ribbons, Tabs, Tags, Word Art. I added a new one in December called "clusters." It just makes it easy for me to find specific items quickly with a search.

Another couple of idiosyncracies from my organization - I have a folder in Embellishments and Papers called "_Loose & Fancy Free" which contains all the freebies acquired thoughout the year. The one in the embellisments folder has all the same sub folders as a collection. I name all the collection folders with "Collection Name (Designer Initials)" and for things where I have multiple freebies from the same collection its named "Collection Name (Freebie)". I have a "Master Embellishment Folder" I duplicate for each new collections so they have all the same subfolders. And of course, everything is organized alphabetically.

I wish I had a version of windows that would let me add tags to items so I could tag them by color or season.

Archived