Recipe Album (Cook Book) For My Tablet?

SodScrap

While I was working on my recipe card for the swap this month, I had a light bulb moment. But now, I don't know what to do with it. I know you will have some thoughts and ideas for me!

I want to make a collection of recipes for view/use on my tablet. A digital cookbook if you will.

How should I do this? Is there an app for that? (lol...seems there is an app for everything!) Or do I just make a folder to view in my photo gallery?

I had so much fun going through all the recipe swap cards I have collected over my years here at SG. Some I had forgotten that I would like to try out!

I haven't done much with my tablet beyond the basics. Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated!

i think you can save them as pdf and then see them all ...but will be interested what others say..it is a good idea..and i have been scanning recipes and saving as pdf cause someone told me to email them to myself and then download onto the ipad..but havent done yet

Conda, I resave copies of the recipes to a lower resolution (might as well not use the storage on the Nook more than needed. My Nook Color handles the larger images; I just hate wasting space on the memory card.) I created a recipe folder, and then subfolders, but the Nook didn't keep them separated when displaying them. The Android folder structure still needs to be improved.

Now I use DropBox on my Nook. Since I read recipes at home, and have WiFi, this works great, and Dropbox folders work well to keep "Eggs & Cheese" in one folder, "Soups & Stews" in another, etc. I resize to 600x900 (50% of the original 1200 x 1800) since the Nook screen is 600 pixels high and 1024 wide. The recipe cards look FABULOUS! I have learned to set the "go dark after ..." time longer when I need to refer to a recipe frequently; otherwise I have to keep waking it up. I guess I could try plugging it in... :rolleyes: You can still enlarge them on the Nook Color, but I rarely need to do so.

Anyway, I love having the recipes on it. The other reason it's nice is that I can recommend SG and our fun monthly projects to friends when I show these, or family layouts.

I ALSO have my recipes on my Smartphone. This is wonderful when you're in the supermarket, and you just know you're going to forget an ingredient for a particular recipe if you don't review it. These I do enlarge via the two-finger zoom technique, as the 4.1" screen is still small for reading recipe cards.

I'm an iPad user, going to look for apps now. This is a fabulous idea Conda, I'm sure we'll figure it out.

I found an iPad/iPhone app called pictures to PDF. I think that would work well. Its $.99 so I think I may try it. Sounds like you just put everything you want into a folder and it takes it and makes it into a PDF, then you could add to it later I think. Looking around some more though. There is also a recipe one that allows you to add a photo, but I don't think its exactly what we are thinking of.

Conda, I think Evernote may be your answer. Make a new notebook called recipes. You can download the desktop version that will sync with your tablet. Make sure your new Recipe notebook is a "synchronized" notebook. And then you can just drag and drop your recipe cards in or copy and paste or takes screenshot. Then you can tag them with whatever tags you want to use such as entrees, desserts, appetizers, etc. or tag certain ingredients like chicken, beef or pork. Whatever you want. Then when you need to find a recipe you can search for the tag. Evernote makes it easy to just scroll through the notebook too. When done downloading the recipes, sync with the database and then sync on your tablet and they are all right there.

With this method you can add til your hearts content. Evernote really is a great app. I use the desktop version while I'm surfing the net to add things too.

Hope this helps!

Dianna

Conda, I resave copies of the recipes to a lower resolution (might as well not use the storage on the Nook more than needed. My Nook Color handles the larger images; I just hate wasting space on the memory card.) I created a recipe folder, and then subfolders, but the Nook didn't keep them separated when displaying them. The Android folder structure still needs to be improved.

Now I use DropBox on my Nook. Since I read recipes at home, and have WiFi, this works great, and Dropbox folders work well to keep "Eggs & Cheese" in one folder, "Soups & Stews" in another, etc. I resize to 600x900 (50% of the original 1200 x 1800) since the Nook screen is 600 pixels high and 1024 wide. The recipe cards look FABULOUS! I have learned to set the "go dark after ..." time longer when I need to refer to a recipe frequently; otherwise I have to keep waking it up. I guess I could try plugging it in... :rolleyes: You can still enlarge them on the Nook Color, but I rarely need to do so.

Anyway, I love having the recipes on it. The other reason it's nice is that I can recommend SG and our fun monthly projects to friends when I show these, or family layouts.

I ALSO have my recipes on my Smartphone. This is wonderful when you're in the supermarket, and you just know you're going to forget an ingredient for a particular recipe if you don't review it. These I do enlarge via the two-finger zoom technique, as the 4.1" screen is still small for reading recipe cards.

Look at you go, you tech-savvy cookin' queen! I'm impressed!

I think I'm going to follow your lead. Thanks for the tips!

Aw, gee thanks! :wub:

You know, when I was in high school, I remember hearing the guys talk about my friends Madeleine, Ellen and I... "They are so good at helping with Physics or Math--just ask them if you're having trouble." ... and then the answer "Yes, but I wouldn't ask any of them to go out or go to the prom." It's really nice to feel appreciated despite, or maybe because of my techno-geek tendencies! I'm so lucky I followed my dad's advice to "go ahead to college (at MIT) where you'll meet people who will appreciate your interests and aspirations; you'll be happier in life when you marry one of them." And I did. And I am. :rolleyes:

OF COURSE...the ones I collected are all full resolution...but resizing is no big deal. I do have dropbox too...

Thanks for the ideas!

Conda, what a wonderful idea. I have an android tablet too and it would be great to organize recipes via the tablet. Did you find an app that you liked? I might give this a go myself and use either evernote or catch (I think they are pretty much the same thing)...gotta do a little more research. Thanks for starting this topic!

Conda, what a wonderful idea. I have an android tablet too and it would be great to organize recipes via the tablet. Did you find an app that you liked? I might give this a go myself and use either evernote or catch (I think they are pretty much the same thing)...gotta do a little more research. Thanks for starting this topic!

I haven't decided yet Heather...so let me know what you find out! I think it's going to end up being between dropbox and evernote. (haven't heard of catch...) Dropbox at this point seems a little easier since it's just a "folder system" and I already use it and have it installed on all my devices.

I love everyone's thoughts and ideas!!

I think I'm going to use drop box for now. I will work on this over the weekend and let you know what I decide. I think that will be the easiest and most user friendly. I assume I can create a shortcut for the file on my home page for quick access. I also have some recipes in pdf form that I have saved from the internet. Those will be easy to put in the files too, they just won't be as pretty as my scrapped ones!

I am tablet-less but have often thought it would be great to have my digital recipies in a format I can access in the kitchen. I have been printing & laminating them but the lamination makes them difficult if not impossible to save in a photo-size album. I have used a magnetic clip to keep them out of harms way but still easy to look at while I cook. I have even considered getting one of those digital photo frames & uploading the recipes I use most + some I'd like to try & then I am guessing I could rotate through them & freeze it where I need it for cooking. Is that weird? LOL

I am following this thread with interest - hopefully there will be some good ideas for non-tablet digital cookers... :):disappearing-smilie:

Jenna, I think the digital picture frame is a great idea! You can also add family photos and other layouts to enjoy when you're not reading a recipe.

Never would have though of that Jenna...but it would work!

Ok...I decided to use dropbox. I resized the cards to 72 dpi and then created a recipes folder. Copied the cards over...LOVE it. Thanks for the suggestions!! Of course, now I want ALL my recipes on there...

What a great idea! If I am lucky enought to get a tablet I will do this for sure! I use my kindle sometimes when I am reading those Joanne Fluke novels with the cookie recipes ;)

I have done that too Shannon! :)

I also want a tablet of some kind, not sure what kind. My daughter has the Color Nook. I'm reading all of your thoughts on the tablets before I get one.

I use an old laptop that has to be plugged in, strictly for recipes in the kitchen. It works great for that. I don't worry about it getting messed up because it is so old. I download recipes and scan and swap all the time.

jean

Conda, I think Evernote may be your answer. Make a new notebook called recipes. You can download the desktop version that will sync with your tablet. Make sure your new Recipe notebook is a "synchronized" notebook. And then you can just drag and drop your recipe cards in or copy and paste or takes screenshot. Then you can tag them with whatever tags you want to use such as entrees, desserts, appetizers, etc. or tag certain ingredients like chicken, beef or pork. Whatever you want. Then when you need to find a recipe you can search for the tag. Evernote makes it easy to just scroll through the notebook too. When done downloading the recipes, sync with the database and then sync on your tablet and they are all right there.

With this method you can add til your hearts content. Evernote really is a great app. I use the desktop version while I'm surfing the net to add things too.

Hope this helps!

Dianna

Dianna, thanks for the reminder! I started playing with Evernote prior to the holidays and your post for Conda's need made me look again! I like Evernote as I can even have it on my work phone (Palm Pre2 with WebOS). I'm going to check and see if I can get it on the HP TouchPad too (got one of the bargain basement $99 tablets when HP had the firesale)! As I was searching around - I found they have integrated with a website called Say MMM where you can do lots with your recipes right from within Evernote, like make grocery lists and meal plans.

Archived