Thinking Of Buying An Ipad

KayMitch

I've been keen to buy an iPad for a while now but wondering if I can justify it. Please tell me why I can't do without it or even what you all use yours for. My husband and I are going on a cruise around New Zealand next month and I didn't want to cart my laptop with me as it's quite heavy. Will an ipad serve the same purpose to email and check ScraoGirls etc? I won't need it for scrapping though. Has anyone been on the Princess Dawn around NZ and does it have free WiFi? What about reception anyway. I don't know much about all these things but an iPad looks great. I'm sure I need one but I'm not sure what for. Would appreciate any help. Thank you.

Kay, I love my iPad 2! I've had it for a year now, and can't think of not having one. As you mentioned, it's portable. So many places have free WiFi now that I have never run into a problem with connecting. I've taken it on several trips and vacations...works great in airports, hotels, etc. Any McDonalds or Starbucks. I use it a lot for facetiming with my son and grandchildren in different cities. I use it in the kitchen to read recipes. I have new cookbooks and books downloaded to it, since I don't want to add hard copies and "things" to the house. It takes good pictures in light...haven't had great results in dim or dark, though, but that's my only negative. I take it to the grocery store with my lists. I took it while I Christmas shopped.....opened the e-mail with the DGS's request before I left home so I could see the list in non-WiFi stores. So much easier for me to have everything in one place. I have the Apple keyboard, which I chose because it's a little larger, but DS likes his Logitech. I don't even use the accessory keyboard that much. I have a soft cover which fits on the back and has a strap, so I can read it and hold it easily, even while lying down.

I did check in on Scrap Girls and my e-mails while I traveled last year, using the iPad. Works just like your computer.

As far as the cruise line, you may be able to find out about the WiFi at their website.

I say go for it! You won't regret it!

I use mine at work all the time. And for traveling its great, but not sure about cruise ships. Really, the only thing I can't do is scrap and join a chat (Java and apple haven't learned to play well together yet). I have a dock with speakers for it on my desk at work, so I use it for music as well. I have lots of specialty apps and time logs and coding requirements for work and I'd be lost without it.

Woo Hoo You've convinced me. Wasn't hard hey? Thank you Dot & Sandi, I've ordered it. Can't wait. I will probably be back for help when it arrives. Kay

Woo Hoo You've convinced me. Wasn't hard hey? Thank you Dot & Sandi, I've ordered it. Can't wait. I will probably be back for help when it arrives. Kay

Congratulations, Kay! I think you will be happy with your decision. At first I kind of just looked at it and wondered what was the "big deal," but now it's my go-to device and I can't imagine not having it. It's so much faster than my PC, and just lots of fun! After I got mine and came to enjoy it so well my DD and DS went ahead and got their own, and now my two nieces have added on to our group. Fun!

I don't have one but sure want one! A couple of the gals in my knitting group have them and they use them a lot. I understand that a lot of musicians are using them for their music for gigs. I don't foresee having the money on hand for a LONG time though. :(

Congratulations, Kay! I think you will be happy with your decision. At first I kind of just looked at it and wondered what was the "big deal," but now it's my go-to device and I can't imagine not having it. It's so much faster than my PC, and just lots of fun! After I got mine and came to enjoy it so well my DD and DS went ahead and got their own, and now my two nieces have added on to our group. Fun!

Yep, spreading in my family as well. Enjoy Kay!

I'm sure I will enjoy it once I get the hang of it. I'm off to Melbourne for a few days so maybe by next Monday it will be here. I'll keep you posted . It is very exciting though. Kay

Kay, you will love it! I'll just ditto everything that Dot and Sandi said - I can't imagine being without mine now! I've just ordered a Zagg case with built in keyboard for mine and am expecting it to arrive any day now - I use mine for so many things and I've never been sorry for one minute that I took the plunge!

Let us know when you get yours and how you like it!

Kay, it is so user friendly you'll be amazed at how quickly you catch on to it - it's easy-pease really! but you know we're always here to ask and answer questions anytime! I'm so excited for you!

I also love mine and can't imagine how I survived without it! My favorite thing is reading books on it, but I also have my recipes. It's great - I can just pull up the recipe I want, prop up the ipad and do my cooking. Its just a very handy little device - I really don't know we lived before it!

You are all making me so excited. Off for a few days but taking my laptop so will check in to see how you are all doing. Appreciate all the encouragement. Bye for now. Kay

Archived