Will I Be Happy With The Macbook Air?

TeaScrapper

I currently have an early 2008 MacBook Pro. I'm having problems with it and have a Genius Bar appt. on Tuesday. A hardware test failed on my video controller and I've been having problems with the video distorting when I move my screen for quite a while. Hopefully, this will be one of the NVidia cards that they were having problems with and the problem will be fixed for free, as they did extend replacement on qualified cards for 4 years.

BUT, in the event it's not covered, I'm going to have to replace this. I really love my Pro, but just don't want to spend that kind of money, so I have a few questions about the new Air.

I don't understand how the flash storage works. I'm currently using 180 GB on my hard drive. What do I do with that if I get the one with 128 GB flash storage? Store it on external hard drive?

Do Photoshop Elements and iMovie work well on it or is it slow?

I really only use my computer for email, surfing internet, Skype, digital layouts (which entails light photo editing), and a few games (nothing graphic intensive).

So would this work and I be happy with it?

Thanks,

TJ

There are lots of different sites comparing the Macbook Air with other Macs online - I googled and found this one - Pros and Cons but there were lots more that gave some really good advice. One thing that stuck out for me is that the Air does not have a DVD burner - personally, it would not be the Mac for me, but if I were you, I would go to the Mac Store and let the techs explain all of the pros and cons to you. It's a big decision and you certainly want to get everything you want in your new Mac!

Good luck with your shopping!

Hi! I like Sara's advice. I have no experience with an Air. I have a MBP too. But like Sara said, if you have an Apple store you can go to, do that. To find out what flash is all about just google it. I do know from what other Mac users say about flash is that it is so fast. So when you go from app to app and/or save things, it's very fast. And it's durable. No spinning parts. But that's the extent of my knowledge! Let us know what you end up doing. Judy

Archived