What Have I Done Wrong Now

Sara Arell

Okay, so last night I tried to open a Word document that I was working on for Rich and kept getting this message:

Does not support Power PC Applications any longer!

So, I further investigated and it appears that I no longer have Microsoft Word or anything Microsoft on my computer! Where did it go? I didn't delete anything and I use it all the time - I get that same message any time I try and open anything I've done in Microsoft -

HELP! Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Word shows up in my applications but when I try and open it i get the same message - it's just not there!

I've re-booted several times, Joyce - that usually works for me too and is my go-to fix for many things, but this time it isn't working. I'm just really puzzled over this one.

Try to uninstall and reinstall.

Sigh. I guess that's what I'm going to have to do, Belle.

Also, everything I open now opens to full screen and the option to make it not a full screen has disappeared - I think the purple gremlins got into my computer when I wasn't looking. I don't like it when all my things change on their own! It means I have to spend time re-doing stuff and that's not fun!

Thanks for the suggestion - groan! Guess I'll work on that today.

Oh, gosh Sara - so sorry! I understand your frustration -- GRRrrrrrrrr.

I work on Mac like you and have Word 2004. A few months ago, nothing would open in Word and I had to update which added a "converter" of older programs/documents, so that now whenever I open something that was created in a newer version of Word it automatically converts the document.

I think I understand that you're saying you can't locate any trace of word at all?? (how bizarre.. Computers...) I'm assuming since you're no newbie, that you've searched through your "Applications" folder on the HD and couldn't find anything word to even update? AAARgggghhhh. So sorry....

I'm going to do a search, but thought I'd throw my thoughts into the pile.

Ok.... Back - here's my first hit, Sara - no answers, but at least you'll know you're not crazy! :) I'll keep looking..

WORD disappeared

Back again...

Ok, Sara - from what I"m reading so far, this has happened to more people than just you and a few! They all say Word "disappeared" from their Mac computer without them doing anything. A few people mentioned viruses, but that shouldn't be a problem on Mac.

Most people are talking about re-installing as Belle suggested. But, I haven't seen any real "solution" or explanation beyond that, yet.

I work on Mac like you and have Word 2004. A few months ago, nothing would open in Word and I had to update which added a "converter" of older programs/documents, so that now whenever I open something that was created in a newer version of Word it automatically converts the document.

I think I understand that you're saying you can't locate any trace of word at all?? (how bizarre.. Computers...) I'm assuming since you're no newbie, that you've searched through your "Applications" folder on the HD and couldn't find anything word to even update? AAARgggghhhh. So sorry....

Ok.... Back - here's my first hit, Sara - no answers, but at least you'll know you're not crazy! :) I'll keep looking..

WORD disappeared

Back again...

Ok, Sara - from what I"m reading so far, this has happened to more people than just you and a few! They all say Word "disappeared" from their Mac computer without them doing anything. A few people mentioned viruses, but that shouldn't be a problem on Mac.

Most people are talking about re-installing as Belle suggested. But, I haven't seen any real "solution" or explanation beyond that, yet.

I'll go look at your link in a minute, Marilyn, but no, Word still shows up in my applications, but when I try and open it I get that message that it's no longer supported and I don't know what that means. It's not anything I've seen before and I keep things updated - my word version is the same as yours - going to look at the link now - oh, and I tried to update it and it said mine was updated and no new updates were available. Weird, huh? Thanks for the link - I'll check it out!

WORD disappeared

Back again...

I'll go look at your link in a minute, Marilyn, but no, Word still shows up in my applications, but when I try and open it I get that message that it's no longer supported and I don't know what that means. It's not anything I've seen before and I keep things updated - my word version is the same as yours - going to look at the link now - oh, and I tried to update it and it said mine was updated and no new updates were available. Weird, huh? Thanks for the link - I'll check it out!

Sara, now that you say that, I think when I had the problem it told me it was "no longer supported" either and things I'd opened previously wouldn't. I did have to download some sort of converter for older Word programs and now whenever I open something it shows me it's "converting" in a diaglogue box. Let me go look and see if I can locate that converter - it was downloaded from Microsoft.

Back again... Ok, Sara - this is what I have on my computer - downloaded from Microsoft that solved my problem. Read up and see if it looks like it might help. I was doubtful but it does work for me! Good luck - I'm rushing but will check in again...

"OPEN XML CONVERTER"

PS the whole incident was bizarre for me, too - but it works!

OK - this is what I have found out - it doesn't work because Microsoft Word does not work with Lion which I had just installed a month or so ago - it tells me I have to buy the new Office 2011 - so because I am broke - I tried to download the free 30 day trial of Office 2011 and it appeared it downloaded but when I went to my download folder it's grayed out and I can't install it.

Thinking a call to Apple is what I need - I need to get this fixed but am going to have to feel a little better to start making phone calls - and I don't know if I can wait because Rich has a paper for the PD that I need to type for him and I guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and do it.

I read all kinds of articles and it just seems clear that Lion does not support Word 2004 or 2008 at all or any of it's sister programs - and it's all called Microsoft Office now.

If anyone knows any more about this, I'd appreciate some comments before I embark on this project - and spend money I don't have to spend.

Thanks yall.

WORD disappeared

Back again...

Sara, now that you say that, I think when I had the problem it told me it was "no longer supported" either and things I'd opened previously wouldn't. I did have to download some sort of converter for older Word programs and now whenever I open something it shows me it's "converting" in a diaglogue box. Let me go look and see if I can locate that converter - it was downloaded from Microsoft.

Back again... Ok, Sara - this is what I have on my computer - downloaded from Microsoft that solved my problem. Read up and see if it looks like it might help. I was doubtful but it does work for me! Good luck - I'm rushing but will check in again...

"OPEN XML CONVERTER"

PS the whole incident was bizarre for me, too - but it works!

Thanks, Marilyn for this - it won't work for me since Lion just isn't supporting it anyway so there's nothing to convert. Sigh. Note my previous post where I explained it. Breathing, breathing, breathing......

I DID IT!

I finally, finally downloaded the free 30 day trial so that will give me a little time to be able to buy it next month when I can work it into our dimishing budget! LOL Not really funny, but true......this is not a good time of year to have to buy software! It all works and I have the entire Office Package all downloaded and I'm so excited! Now I don't have to go through telling Rich I can't do his papers for him! Hooray!

Thanks everyone for all of your help!

I'm hoping to hear from Sandi if she uses Microsoft Word and if she's had these issues but I'm thinking that since she just got a new computer and it came with Lion (I think) that maybe she bought the new Office then too......

So, Sandi, if you see this, would love to hear from you on this.

Sounds like a good reason to avoid upgrading to Lion...glad you posted this.

Well, had I known, I would have been better prepared for the extra purchases but, Ann, I do love LION! I'm still learning but I love everything about it so far...........except for today! LOL LOL

Mine's fine. No problem. I have Office for Mac:2008. Hope it all gets worked out. I was a little worried, but like I said, mine is working fine. You had me scared though. I am pretty careful about keeping everything upgraded. And I've had absolutely zero problems with Lion. It was a seamless transition.

Mine's fine. No problem. I have Office for Mac:2008. Hope it all gets worked out. I was a little worried, but like I said, mine is working fine. You had me scared though. I am pretty careful about keeping everything upgraded. And I've had absolutely zero problems with Lion. It was a seamless transition.

My problem, Sandi, was that I had Word 2004 for Mac and that's what caused the issues. I try to keep things upgraded too but this one caught me by surprise. I should have upgraded Word a long time ago even before I upgraded to Lion.

Archived