Southerner's

Sara Arell

THINGS I KNOW ARE TRUE BEING A SOUTHERN GIRL

A possum is a flat animal that sleeps in the middle of the road. There are 5,000 types of snakes and 4,998 of them live in the South. There are 10,000 types of spiders. All 10,000 of them live in the South, plus a couple no one's seen before. If it grows, it'll stick ya. If it crawls, it'll bite cha.

Onced and Twiced are words.

It is not a shopping cart, it is a buggy!

Jawl-P? means, Did you all go to the bathroom?

People actually grow,eat and like okra.

Fixinto is one word. It means I'm going to do that.

There is no such thing as lunch. There is only dinner and then there's supper.

Iced tea is appropriate for all meals and you start drinking it when you're two. We do like a little tea with our sugar. It is referred to as the Wine of the South.

Backwards and forwards means I know everything about you.

The word jeet is actually a question meaning, 'Did you eat?'

You don't have to wear a watch, because it doesn't matter what time it is, you work until you're done or it's too dark to see.

You don't PUSH buttons, you MASH em.

Ya'll is singular. All ya'll is plural.

All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable, grain, insect, or animal.

You carry jumper cables in your car - for your OWN car.

You only own five spices: salt, pepper, mustard, Tabasco and ketchup.

The local papers cover national and international news on one page, but require 6 pages for local high school sports, the motor sports, and gossip.

Everyone you meet is a Honey, Sugar, Miss(first name) or Mr.(first name)

You think that the first day of deer season is a national holiday.

You know what a hissy fit is..

Fried catfish is the other white meat.

We don't need no dang Driver's Ed. If our mama says we can drive, we can drive!!!

And in Texas, you know you've made it when you have your heart blessed..."Why, bless your little heart"

.....and, here, "sugar, everything's gonna be okay - bless your little heart!" (and I'll have to admit that one comes out of my mouth more than once a day. :disappearing-smilie:

And in Texas, you know you've made it when you have your heart blessed..."Why, bless your little heart"

You can say the most awful things about someone as long as you finish with "bless their heart." Of course, I've NEVER done that!

Funny! Especially the possum!!!!! :going-crazy:

I've lived in VA (the other South) and I still say 'fixinto' and pronounce 'ice' with a different I. If I talk to my family for a few minutes, my speech slows down and I fall right back into Texian.

jean

Texian...I love it! My west coast friends don't even believe it! We spent Christmas in Texas this year. I knew I was "home" when the toll booth lady, after we had paid, said " Merry Christmas yaaaaaaal.." I loved it, and decided that I needed to go home more often.

Too funny, Sara!

I moved to Louisiana from Montana at the tender age of 19, married for all of six days. (We had a honey-move.) I had to pack my "necessities" for the two weeks we would be there before our household items were delivered by the moving company. It was mid-June, so naturally I picked my Rocky Mountain summerwear: three pairs of jeans, socks & undies, and no less than SEVEN of my most essential sweatshirts. That's right. I arrived to my first southern summer with a very heavy suitcase and not a stitch to wear!

Talk about a crash course in Southern! LOL!

:D Loved this! Having been married to a southerner at one time and having lived in Atlanta for many years, I can appreciate each one of these.

Add these: not a bag lunch, but a sack lunch; your belly button is referred to as "where the yankee shot you;" not take your picture, but make your picture; ice tea is always sweet tea ... just a few off the top of my head!

You can say the most awful things about someone as long as you finish with "bless their heart." Of course, I've NEVER done that!

heeheee! Me either! But it's so the truth!

Archived