Torn Edges

http://store.scrapgirls.com/product.php?id=8562&cat=

Can someone please explain how this product works? For e.g., can I make a torn edge on one kind of paper, then make one on another, and a third one, and then put them all on the same page?

I have a brush set that lets me do torn edges (freebie) but I can't make layers of the papers. Or at least I haven't figured out how to do it yet!

Thank you, everyone!

Yes you can -- if I'm understanding your question correctly. You just clip whatever paper you want to the template, then use your favorite blend mode (mine is "overlay") and your paper will now look like it has a torn edge. You can do that to as many papers as you like, then move them onto your layout wherever you want them. Obviously, you can resize them, too. That product is great. Another one I own and love is "Ripped and Rolled". It has several sizes. I hope I've understood what you are asking. If not, someone else will come along and give you good advice.

Meanwhile, here's a free book for you to download that can explain more:

Scrap Simple Basics

Actually, with that first product (which I use all the time) you don't need to use blending modes. The paper and tear are on different layers. I like to apply the style that comes with the action Pat mentioned to the lower layer. I've also used a light colored textured paper on the tear layer.

I did the overlay thing, but this isn't getting me the effect I want. I probably don't quite know what I'm doing. But here is a scan of a greeting card I made, and this is the effect I'm looking for:

Little Sisters ICAD

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

Actually, with that first product (which I use all the time) you don't need to use blending modes. The paper and tear are on different layers. I like to apply the style that comes with the action Pat mentioned to the lower layer. I've also used a light colored textured paper on the tear layer.

You can get a stack of papers with torn edges with the product you purchased, but the Ripped and Rolled give a different look.

The Scrapsimple Embellishment Templates: Torn Edges come as individual png files. You need to layer the gray layer over the black layer in your page. Clip your paper to the top layer and a textured paper the color you'd like the tear to the lower layer. Don't shadow the top layer, or the tear won't look realistic. One thing I often do with these templates is enlarge them to make them cover more of the page.

To do that, place the tear layer where you'd like it on the page. There may be a gap between the edge of the tear layer and the edge of the page. To fix this, use you color picker tool and select the color (black or gray) of the layer. Then use the marquis tool to select the area where it doesn't cover. I like to overlap it a bit. Select the paint bucket tool and fill your selection. Do this to both the paper and tear layers. :)

Also, if you're going to stack them, I would use more than one of the tears and flip them so they don't all look the same.

If you choose to use the Scrapsimple Paper Templates: Ripped And Rolled, you will need to use the blending modes mentioned in the other posts to get the look you want.

Hope that helps. Keep asking if you still need more help.

Hi, April: Thanks for replying. I keep editing this post as I go along.

First off I am working in PS CS5.5, if that helps.

I'm playing around in the torn edges now. Where I'm having some trouble is this "clipping" thing. Do you mean go to "Layers" and then "Create Clipping Mask"? When I do the paper covers both the gray and the black layers. Then when I try to create another clipping layer for the other layer, the whole page goes blank. I've never worked with clipping masks before. Also, I'm following the directions in the PDF that was sent to me, and I see something about this: "1. In Adobe® Photoshop® CS or Adobe® Photoshop® Elements®, open your template in a

transparent document, layer your paper or photo over the template and hit CTRL + G

(COMMAND + G on a Mac). In PSCS2 it is CTRL + ALT + G (COMMAND + ALT + G

on a Mac). Merge visible to make it “stick” and drag and drop onto your layout." This doesn't seem to be helping much.

As I play around, I am sort of getting it to work. At times I am getting the black edge sticking out from under my paper, though. I tried doing what you said, with the color picker tool. I'm having trouble getting the results you mentioned. If I sample the black edge, the paint bucket just turns the whole marquis selection black. Am I using the wrong tool? I noticed there two eyedropper tools in PS CS5.5. And when I did get it to work, by sampling the PAPER color, I got a solid pink edge as i was working on a pink patterned paper. Not terrible, but not exactly what I wanted.

Am I making sense? :unsure:

I'm a little embarrassed, as I've been using PS for years now, but am rather new to digiscrapping.

Thank you so much!

You can get a stack of papers with torn edges with the product you purchased, but the Ripped and Rolled give a different look.

The Scrapsimple Embellishment Templates: Torn Edges come as individual png files. You need to layer the gray layer over the black layer in your page. Clip your paper to the top layer and a textured paper the color you'd like the tear to the lower layer. Don't shadow the top layer, or the tear won't look realistic. One thing I often do with these templates is enlarge them to make them cover more of the page.

To do that, place the tear layer where you'd like it on the page. There may be a gap between the edge of the tear layer and the edge of the page. To fix this, use you color picker tool and select the color (black or gray) of the layer. Then use the marquis tool to select the area where it doesn't cover. I like to overlap it a bit. Select the paint bucket tool and fill your selection. Do this to both the paper and tear layers. :)

Also, if you're going to stack them, I would use more than one of the tears and flip them so they don't all look the same.

If you choose to use the Scrapsimple Paper Templates: Ripped And Rolled, you will need to use the blending modes mentioned in the other posts to get the look you want.

Hope that helps. Keep asking if you still need more help.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I'll subscribe to the thread so I get an email when you reply again. I use Photoshop CS4, but the clipping masks have been the same for several versions.

First, in the layers panel, make sure your paper layer is directly over and covering all of the template layer you wish to clip the paper to.

The paper layer needs to be the active layer (highlighted in the layers panel)

Then hit Control+Alt+G on a PC (or Command+Opt+G on a Mac) and the paper will take the shape of the template layer below it.

The black edge sticking out usually means the paper isn't quite lined up with the template.

If you still have trouble, I'll open up a layout where I used those templates and take a few screenshots for you.

I think I finally got it! (By George!) It took a few tries...I realized that I had to "Merge visible" in the layers before I could drag them onto another "sheet" of paper. I followed the instructions in that free booklet and kind of tweaked it till I got it.

I also discovered I can just delete the edge that is sticking out if I don't want to be bothered with it, and I still get a nice torn edge.

Thanks for your help. :)

• 3 months later...

Archived