My Macbook Pro Is Taking Off

Deb C.

A couple of times lately, my MacBook Pro has sounded like an airplane getting ready for take-off. At times, it sounds like it's gonna explode! Then it will gradually die down and the noisy sound stops.

The first time was when I was working on a layout with several layers. I don't know if I had a lot of items open at the same time or not.

The second time was today when I uploaded a couple of hundred photos into PSE 9. It made that noise off and on for a long time.

Has anyone else had this happen? Is it something to worry about?

I guess I'm also wondering if PSE 9 on a Mac can handle a lot of photos - like maybe a few thousand? I would like to keep all my photos in PSE instead of iPhoto but now I'm kinda wondering if I should do that.....

Hi Deb! Sorry to hear about that noise but in the deep recesses of my mind I seem to recall a discussion about said noise and it was a 'good thing'. Now I am not 100% sure about this but if I were you I'd get it checked out. Do you have any diagnosic software? Like Drive Genius, Disk Warrior or TechTool? Of course what you may be hearing is the fan coming on which it will do during a 'workout'-like right now I hear my fan running because I am running software in the background. I look at iStat Pro in my Widgets and can see that the fan is running at about 4700rpms. Which it does when it's working hard. So maybe you are just hearing the fan.

As for whether PSE9 can handle a lot of photos, I can't really answer that since I use iPhoto. But it should be able to. I don't think there are limitations within the software itself, maybe in the amount of memory you have, size of your hard drive, etc. But not the software.

Keep me posted about that sound-the fan sound is different than a hard drive going bad sound. Hopefully it's the latter! Don't know if my reply was much help, Judy

Hi Deb - I have a Mac and use iPhoto - I have heard that loud, "whooshing" sound at times.. Sounds like a very loud fan working hard? Usually it's when I"m in PE doing a lot of work, or emptying the trash or watching a video. It appears to me that it usually happens when the lapop is working hard and this cools it quicker.

That's my thoughts, but no expert here.

Do you have an Apple store near you where you can ask someone? Good luck!

I have to agree - it sounds like the cooling fan to me too, but I'd get it checked out just in case - mine does that periodically - can't be real specific about when because I don't pay much attention to it anymore, but I do know mine is just the cooling fan.

HTH

Well, I called Apple and they said it sounded like the fan to him too. He said that PSE requires - no - demands - a lot of power so the fan has to cool it off. He said as long as it happens when I'm working in PSE or when Time Machine is backing up a lot, then it's okay. But if it happens at other times, when you are turning on the computer or e-mails or something like that, then I should call him back.

So......I guess I won't upload 300 pictures at once anymore! That was scary!

With my other question though. Has anyone had any problems putting all their photos into PSE - like a couple thousand? Does it slow the program down to have that many photos in it? I would like to upload my photos into PSE instead of iPhoto. I had several thousand in PSE on my PC, but I don't know about the Mac organizer, since it's so new.

Thanks, ladies.

Deb

Well, I called Apple and they said it sounded like the fan to him too. He said that PSE requires - no - demands - a lot of power so the fan has to cool it off. He said as long as it happens when I'm working in PSE or when Time Machine is backing up a lot, then it's okay. But if it happens at other times, when you are turning on the computer or e-mails or something like that, then I should call him back.

So......I guess I won't upload 300 pictures at once anymore! That was scary!

With my other question though. Has anyone had any problems putting all their photos into PSE - like a couple thousand? Does it slow the program down to have that many photos in it? I would like to upload my photos into PSE instead of iPhoto. I had several thousand in PSE on my PC, but I don't know about the Mac organizer, since it's so new.

Thanks, ladies.

Deb

Deb, I use IPhoto for my photos so I can't answer to that either - but if I personally were going to load a couple thousand pics into PSE, I wouldn't try and do them all at once - HTH

I checked with my Mac guru who knows everything about everything and he says not to worry - it IS the cooling fan - if you hear something different would love to know what you;ve found out. I trust my guy implicity -he has been working on my Macs ever since I can remember!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived