Supply Tracker?

I've seen people mention a supply tracker....where would I find that in the boutique? will it do the work of keeping track so I don't have to copy and paste each item into my layout? Do very many of you use it?

Oh, Amy - I know just what you mean - sounds like a great tool to have, huh? I'm afraid it's retired - I posted and asked the same question as you when I first joined and that's what I was told...

HMmmmmm.. Maybe some designer might think of designing up a new one or something like it? Hint, hint????? :)

It's a difficult challenge for a designer, since the easiest way to learn how to make such an action is to open the Christy's action in a script editor, and pattern their code after hers. That's a copyright violation, and is absolutely illegal, even if you don't copy it line for line explicitly. Given Scrap Girls' very careful TOUs, they would not want their designers to be at risk.

"Code obfuscation," which is available to the language in which my company's software is written, is not available to Adobe Script editor code, to the best of my knowledge. That's unfortunate, since code obfuscation makes it nearly impossible to read and lift ideas from other people's software.

To create this action legally, someone has to take a class, read books and/or develop the necessary experience with Adobe scripts. Some script skills are easier to learn or record while doing than others. So, perhaps someday, but it is a dilemna in the meantime.

It's a difficult challenge for a designer, since the easiest way to learn how to make such an action is to open the Christy's action in a script editor, and pattern their code after hers. That's a copyright violation, and is absolutely illegal, even if you don't copy it line for line explicitly. Given Scrap Girls' very careful TOUs, they would not want their designers to be at risk.

"Code obfuscation," which is available to the language in which my company's software is written, is not available to Adobe Script editor code, to the best of my knowledge. That's unfortunate, since code obfuscation makes it nearly impossible to read and lift ideas from other people's software.

To create this action legally, someone has to take a class, read books and/or develop the necessary experience with Adobe scripts. Some script skills are easier to learn or record while doing than others. So, perhaps someday, but it is a dilemna in the meantime.

Well, thank you Barbara for the info - I learn so many new things from you! I understood copywrite laws in some respects, but did not realize about lifting ideas, although that makes perfect sense and now I"m thinking "Duh-uh, ME!"

Technically copyright doesn't protect ideas - only the physical manifestation of ideas... but that is a really sticky thing to try and prove... either way, rewriting scripts can or cannot constitute copyright infringement... Regardless, I'd love to have somthing that would track supplies other than textpad.

I was a fortunate one of those people who have it and I've been telling my friend how great it is and that she should get it. She has told me that she can't find it at all. I guess now I know why. My friend doesn't post to the gallery because it is so hard to keep track of all the supplies. It would be great if she could get the script somehow! I didn't realize the issue with it. Good to know anyway.

i agree, its very hard to keep track of the supplies ... a lot of times i forget to add the info when i post, and i feel horrible about it, but a lot of the time, i can't find the item i used in the first place, as i start with tons of things open and eventually delete layers until i'm happy. i would love for something like this.

just out of curiosity, why do things retire? especially if there is a demand for it?

That's usually the reason, however a designer may choose to retire something that is old or not selling. Check out the retirement section of the boutique after the 5th of the month - items on retirement sale are 30% off. That's only if a designer retires the item, not if the designer leaves.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Actually, as of CS3/PSE6 Adobe has created the 'binary' version of their scripts (e.g. those scripts with the .jsxbin extension). It is not humanly readable - if you open it in their editor you'll just see a big string characters. All my scripts are distributed in this form to protect my IP. Seeing as CS2 is now quite some versions old and PSE 5 can't run scripts at all there really no benefit is distributing the original .jsx source code and plenty of drawbacks.

Regards,

Anna Forrest

The owner of Supply Tracker was nice enough to offer it, but I can't seem to get it working. I need to read her instructiions again. Any tips?

mine has never worked either, sob.

Just a quess - I suspect you guys that have trouble installing it are on PSE and getting an error about javascript code missing? If yes, you haven't put the script file in the right spot yet. Re-read the instructions and put the script EXACTLY where she's indicated. You can email me at myranalis at hotmail dot com if you can't get it worked out.

Regards

Anna Forrest

hi Anna,

I'm using CS4 extended and I get a message saying something is missing. I will try reinstalling it when I get home from work and when the message pops up I will post it here

Lynda

Archived