Full Frame Anyone?

michgirl

After using the Canon T1i for over two years, I have decided to upgrade. I was going to wait until the new cameras were announced this year, but got to looking at the dropping prices in some of the current models. After much searching and reading, I ordered the Canon 5d Mark ii with the 24-105mm Lens. Now I am scared to death! Not sure if it is going to be too much camera for me and I know nothing about shooting full frame.

Is anyone out there using full frame, and if so, is there anything I need to know or do right away? Anything I need to be aware of? YIKES! Hope it is not too big of a leap for me.

Many thanks!

Relax:) It has auto mode, so you can ease into the fancier stuff as you learn. That's always my line of thinking anyway!

Enjoy; what a great gift to yourself!

Thank you, Cheri - you are right, I do need to relax a bit! I am retiring next year and want to get all of my big purchases out of the way before then!

Still scared though, but I will surely check out the auto mode first thing!

Haven't made the leap yet, Holding out for the 5D Mark III to hit the market. It was supposed to have been released last fall, but the earthquake and tsunami in Japan set production back. Haven't heard yet when its coming and what it will really be called. Seems like the micro 4/3 cameras are the rage now.

All I can say is 'Huh!'. You ladies are so clever with cameras. The only time my camera comes off 'auto' is in January and June. (JJumpstart and ReJuneavate) If you say 'F Stop' to me, I think you are swearing at me. As for ASA, I think your are stuttering and shutter speed is how fast you can snap Nikki before she dissapears.

Haven't made the leap yet, Holding out for the 5D Mark III to hit the market. It was supposed to have been released last fall, but the earthquake and tsunami in Japan set production back. Haven't heard yet when its coming and what it will really be called. Seems like the micro 4/3 cameras are the rage now.

Sandi,

I have been reading bits and pieces of the 5D iii and I am sure it will be to die for! I thought long and hard about it, but figured it would be priced out of my league. That's probably why the 5D ii has come down in price. From what I have been reading, the 5D iii should be announced soon! Will be exciting to hear your reaction to it!

All I can say is 'Huh!'. You ladies are so clever with cameras. The only time my camera comes off 'auto' is in January and June. (JJumpstart and ReJuneavate) If you say 'F Stop' to me, I think you are swearing at me. As for ASA, I think your are stuttering and shutter speed is how fast you can snap Nikki before she dissapears.

Belle - LOL! Now that is FUNNY!

Sandi,

I have been reading bits and pieces of the 5D iii and I am sure it will be to die for! I thought long and hard about it, but figured it would be priced out of my league. That's probably why the 5D ii has come down in price. From what I have been reading, the 5D iii should be announced soon! Will be exciting to hear your reaction to it!

Maybe it'll be announced on Feb 7. Even if it will be announced then, it won't be available for awhile, and I will wait for at least 6 months before I even think about it, so that they can work out the bugs, and then, MAYBE, I'll order one. Been saving up for it since I first heard it was coming, so a year or two from now I'll get it. By then you'll be an expert and can help me get going with it. I'm so spoiled with some of the features of the 7D the 5d mkII doesn't have, I held back on getting it. Seems as though the mk III may be the best of both worlds. Time will tell. it may hit the market and we find out it is completely rotten. Also saw they are expecting the announcement of the 1D X this spring. Ok, now that is way out of my range, abilities and price. Anxious to see what its all about though.

Sandi,

Maybe it'll be announced on Feb 7. Even if it will be announced then, it won't be available for awhile, and I will wait for at least 6 months before I even think about it, so that they can work out the bugs, and then, MAYBE, I'll order one. Been saving up for it since I first heard it was coming, so a year or two from now I'll get it. By then you'll be an expert and can help me get going with it. I'm so spoiled with some of the features of the 7D the 5d mkII doesn't have, I held back on getting it. Seems as though the mk III may be the best of both worlds. Time will tell. it may hit the market and we find out it is completely rotten. Also saw they are expecting the announcement of the 1D X this spring. Ok, now that is way out of my range, abilities and price. Anxious to see what its all about though.

It is amazing what these cameras can do. I just read some speculation that the mk III could be the 7d and mark II combined. I thought about the 7d also, knowing its autofocus system was better; it was hard to pick between the two. Hoping I made the right choice! And I do look forward to all of the new Canon's and their digi5 processors!

:rofl:

Indeed!

Sandi,

AS A fellow 7D user want to Hear about this new camera. Tell me more sandi please. I assume it's full frame. What else is it all about

Bobbie, details are sketchy, but essentially, like Robin said, a cross between the 5D MK II and the 7D. It is full frame and with the neat autofocus and focus points of the 7D and also faster than the previous 5Ds, more frames per second. I'm not really sure of all the technical stuff as the preview things I've read are almost all conjecture. I'll wait and see when it comes out, hopefully soon and wait 6 months to a year or more to see if the reviews hold up. The only thing I would change about the 7D is the sensor size....full frame would make it the ideal camera. So I'm hoping they are right and it will be an upgrade of the 5D with the things I love on the 7D.

Here is a teaser for the 5D MkIII and it states "coming this fall"...

Looks gorgeous!

Does look gorgeous, doesn't it? I think it was originally supposed to be released fall of 2011, last google search is conjecturing Feb 7 this year, I hope, hope, hope. At least then I can evaluate if its really what I want/need and wait for it to be out and being used before I make a decision. I've not had enough time for shooting much lately anyway, so I'm not in a rush, just on my "eventually" wish list. Hope you're learning all there is to learn about your new MK II

Sandi -

After I posted the link, I wondered if that was perhaps last year - I have heard that this would be released in February also. I imagine the new Digi V processesor to be quite revolutionary. It should indeed be a very fine camera!

My new camera and lens will be delivered TODAY! We live in small town USA and the UPS driver knows I where I work and brings the package to me at work - BLESS HIM.

First impression - oh my, this camera is a beaut! The ISO performance is crazy! It's like I don't even need a flash and VERY LITTLE noise with 32000 ISO - I am in love....

First impression - oh my, this camera is a beaut! The ISO performance is crazy! It's like I don't even need a flash and VERY LITTLE noise with 32000 ISO - I am in love....

Yay! Can't wait to see what you do with it. I know you're in a state of photography bliss right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my - that teaser is like a photographer's romance movie...

I am still kicking around what I want to replace my lowly rebel Xt with. LOL I am seriously honing in on the T3i, but I sure would LOVE to make the leap to either the 60D or the 7D (per your recommendations at a previous time, Sandi!). I do plan to take classes, & am looking to do photography on the side until/if it becomes more full time. It is a perfect way to maybe make a little extra $$ to help with bills & keep my sanity since I love photography & the artsy side of it.

Is there any opinion out there as to what might be a reasonable step up from my Rebel EOS Xt that will grow with me for a few years? My only real reason for growing restless with the one I have now is recent signs that it may be on the way out. LOL I have been getting more requests for photography sessions this spring (a couple of family photos & some maternity shots along with some more sports shooting) & I don't want my camera to act up at a sitting. Right now the plan is to save my little bits of income from the stuff I already did for the current sports seasons & put it toward the purchase price of my new baby. :)

There are so many choices out there for 'upgrading' cameras. The 60D or 7D or 5d2 are all excellent choices. It would mostly depend on how much you are willing to spend. From everything I have read, the image quality of the 60D and 7D are practically the same. The 7D has a more advanced focusing system and has a little sturdier body. There were some great pricing on the 7D and 5D2 until just a few days ago, and they both took quite an increase. Hopefully they will come back down. Almost anything you select now will be a big improvement over your Rebel. I have the Rebel T1i and all three models listed above beat it in ISO performance and noise in low-light pictures. I find with my new camera that I am using the flash a whole lot less.

Lots of research and comparisons out there on the three cameras. Sure you will find your perfect match.

Canon is also soon to release new models and sure they will all be pretty capable cameras with the latest bells and whistles.

Congratulations on the new camera! I think any new camera is always a little overwhelming - there is a lot to learn, but you will get there!

Just playing and practicing is always good, but reading the manual is even better! I had to laugh at camera club last week because the speaker asked how many people in the room and actually read their camera's manuals... the sound of crickets could be heard as we all hung our heads in shame...

• 2 weeks later...

Gulp! I did it! I preordered a Canon 5D Mark III, just announced today. I've been lusting for this camera for about a year now, anticipating its release. Hopefully it will be available by the end of the month. I've been saving up for it and even though I had palpitations as I hovered over the place order button, I did it. Now I just have to wait and anticipate. It sounds like just about a perfect camera. Now if only I could become the perfect photographer. That's another story....

Gulp! I did it! I preordered a Canon 5D Mark III, just announced today. I've been lusting for this camera for about a year now, anticipating its release. Hopefully it will be available by the end of the month. I've been saving up for it and even though I had palpitations as I hovered over the place order button, I did it. Now I just have to wait and anticipate. It sounds like just about a perfect camera. Now if only I could become the perfect photographer. That's another story....

OH MY GOSH, SANDI! I am so very happy for you! I have been following all the anticiation for its release and all of the threads. It sounds absolutely fabulous! I must say, the 5D Mark II is just a wonderful camera that produces stunning images - the 5D Mark III will be spectacular! Just cannot wait to hear your reaction!

Did you order the 24-105mm f/4 lens with it? I did get the kit lens with mine and it is beautiful!

OOOOOHHHHHH - just cannot wait to hear details on your new camera - so very excited for you. CONGRATULATIONS!

OH MY GOSH, SANDI! I am so very happy for you! I have been following all the anticiation for its release and all of the threads. It sounds absolutely fabulous! I must say, the 5D Mark II is just a wonderful camera that produces stunning images - the 5D Mark III will be spectacular! Just cannot wait to hear your reaction!

Did you order the 24-105mm f/4 lens with it? I did get the kit lens with mine and it is beautiful!

OOOOOHHHHHH - just cannot wait to hear details on your new camera - so very excited for you. CONGRATULATIONS!

No, I only ordered the body. I have the 24-105 1:4 L lens (my "walk-around" lens so I thought I'd save a few $$). Hopefully it will ship the end of this month.I had initially thought to wait a few months but when I read the specs yesterday morning I knew this was the one. Its got everything from the 7D I love plus the mkII and 1DX. Sounds like its going to be perfect. I watched a video this morning and many of the controls are similar to the 7D.

Now I have to figure out what to do with my 7D. Should I keep it for a second body? Do I really need a second body? Should i sell it? I'll wait and cross that bridge when I have the new one in hand and see if I even like it. LOL. Like I won't like it.

Sandi -

You will LOVE it! Positively love it. I signed up for access to Scott Kelby's training - there was even a course on my camera specifically, which helped tremendously. The first time you take a picture with a full frame camera, it will take your breath away. Stunning. I purposely bought my 5d II before the release of the 5d III so that I would not be tempted. LOL A little too much for me to spend, but so excited that you are getting it!

As for your 7d - I thought I would ditch my 500d with tmy new camera, but haven't yet. I feel like I want to keep it for those times I do not to take my 'good camera' - maybe once the newness wears off, I will feel differently. But my guess is once you use that new 5D III, all qualms will go away!

I love the 24mm-105mm, it is perfect with the 5D. It is my 'walk around lens' too. I also have the Canon 70-200mm L F/4 IS lens, which is also wonderful with the 5d. I like bird shooting and have gotten some stunning pictures of hawks and such (still eagle hunting) - oh yeah - you are going to love your new camera!!!!

Archived